I need to clarify 'cuticle grows with the nail growth' dilemma

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manystyle

Reaction score
Long but this should clarify many techs problems:........

Ok so my coworker has this saying that she doesn't cut the cuticle..only hangnails that she doesn't have cuticles. She does push and says she doesn't clip. She only removes hangnails on clients too. According to her if cuticle is cut more grows.......

I told her no! If we cut cuticle more doesn't grow!! When nail grows it comes with the nail either we see cuticle or not :eek:

I told her I cut the cuticle and hangnails... nails look cleaner. ( I don't cut the eponychium) just the cuticle I told her when the nail grows it comes with a tiny film (cuticle ) invisible for some n more noticeable for others. Even if a clients cuticles look clean I still use cuticle away n I notice cuticle coming from the nail plate. So we all have it! I showed her fingernail fixer cuticle video but she doesn't agree. :!:

cuticle there to protect the nail plate? It needs to b removed for gel right?

She n I are the only two doing nails in salon n clients r getting two diff information. She tells clients I don't cut the cuticles! I tell clients I cut cuticles not the eponychium!:Scared:

I know this is long but who is right!??? I listen to doug schoon n she's a nail tech over 10 yrs that did extensive training in Japan.

Personally I don't think the more cuticle I cut the more cuticle I'll get. I'll cut the cuticle but never the eponnychium!

It sounds like your co-worker could be slightly confused between what is the cuticle and what is the eponychium. Both will continue to grow but one is living tissue and should never be cut (eponychium) and the other is dead tissue where trimming can be done (cuticle).

Maybe introduce her to Doug Schoon online 😊

So I'm right! :)..... There is no such thing as cutting cuticle it'll grow more? There is no way to provoke too much cuticle growth right? It grows with the nail plate.

If your co-worker is really old school she might be confusing cuticle (which is non-living tissue) with the eponychium (which is living tissue). It is true that if you continuously cut the eponychium it will start forming sort of a callus in order to protect itself and the nail (that's what it's there for in the first place). I see it all the time with clients that come from back home and used to EVERYTHING being cut right out. But those clients don't know the difference, they just call the whole thing cuticle. That's what your co-worker seems to be thinking too. The real cuticle DOES need to be removed from the nail plate before any product goes on the nail or it will cause lifting. May be you can show her the real picture in your nail book (if you still have it) or find it online? Just to make sure she's not continuing to confuse clients, and you guys are both on the same page.

Thank u both! I'm glad I was right! I argued with her with 10 yrs of experience and yesterday with a tech with 20 yrs of experience. The 20 yrs was too harsh lol I'll show her the responses! Thanks a lot!!!

But the eponychium IS the cuticle? If you look at any nail anatomy diagram it states this clearly. I was always taught this. I was taught only to cut the excess cuticle that you push back with the pusher but not the cuticle right next to the proximal nail fold.

But the eponychium IS the cuticle? If you look at any nail anatomy diagram it states this clearly. I was always taught this. I was taught only to cut the excess cuticle that you push back with the pusher but not the cuticle right next to the proximal nail fold.

No it isn't. Unfortunately you you have been taught incorrectly.

Have another look at your text book diagrams, they should be clearly labelled separately. The eponychium is living tissue which creates a seal to protect from bacteria. The cuticle is dead tissue which grows out under the eponychium and sticks to the nail plate. This is what needs to be removed prior to any nail treatment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 230
This is a really interesting thread. I was asking my tutor about this the other day trying to clarify this. Her response was that eponychium is just another word for cuticle, and that the eponychium (the visible part) needs to be pushed back completely and cut. However, in other places I have read not to cut the eponychium. Only the non visible cuticle on the nail plate.

(Am I right in saying the eponychium is the visible part, the cuticle the invisible bit on the nail plate? My tutor said they were exactly the same, but I've read on here they are not.)

Anyway, I will be following this with interest 😃

This is a really interesting thread. I was asking my tutor about this the other day trying to clarify this. Her response was that eponychium is just another word for cuticle, and that the eponychium (the visible part) needs to be pushed back completely and cut. However, in other places I have read not to cut the eponychium. Only the non visible cuticle on the nail plate.

(Am I right in saying the eponychium is the visible part, the cuticle the invisible bit on the nail plate? My tutor said they were exactly the same, but I've read on here they are not.)

Anyway, I will be following this with interest ��

No, as said above, they are different. We should NOT be cutting living tissue...we're not surgeons! Lol

When you cut living tissue it will grow back quicker, thicker and hardened. That's not a look any of our clients wants ;) If the client has dry, thickened eponychium then there are many professional softeners which we can retail for home use, along with a good quality oil, which will soften and reduce the growth. But this takes time, and we have to explain to the client that it won't be perfect overnight. Regular manicures also help.

The cuticle is dead tissue that may or may not be seen on the nail plate and this SHOULD be removed...carefully but thoroughly.

There is a section in this article which also explains the difference between cuticle and eponychium http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/3007-perfect-preparation.html

Thank you. I read the first article with interest. I couldn't get the second to open properly when I clicked on it, but might try again later in case it's just me!
You can learn so much on here, thank you

Thank u! After reading all this I can say I've been right!

Before doug I thought myself n then I perform manicures cutting what I thought was the cuticle. Then I had complains from some people saying I was not cuting the cuticle (eponnychium) I told them it' was not the cuticle. But since I was new I sort of listen n cut the eeponychium but later own I decided to do itmy way and with the help of doug and the Fingernailfixer I was right! I'll stick to Cut the cuticle only! :)

I cut the cuticle not the eeponychium ! :). I was right!

Latest posts

Back