I only have one nail client whose gel polish lifts!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baileewiley

Reaction score
I have been doing nails for six months now, and have a pretty large clientele that can go three to four weeks without their gel polish lifting or chipping. Recently, I had a client whose nails had chipped at every single two week appointment. After this last one, she texted me the NEXT DAY saying the nails are already lifting. I tried rubbing them with acetone, multiple coats of dehydrator, different shapes, and she claims she isn't in any chemicals at work that may make them worse. I am so frustrated! Any suggestions?

If all your other clients are getting a couple of weeks wear with no issues then clearly it's something that particular client is doing. Is she a picker/nibbler? So is she unconsciously fiddling with them looking for a tiny edge to pick at for example?

Chipping and lifting are two different problems too, chipping at the free edge implies damage so I would suggest she's using them like tools for something. Lifting (unless its at the free edge caused by chipping) would imply some kind of chemical breaking down the product. This could be some moisturisers, cleaning products, etc,

If all your other clients are getting a couple of weeks wear with no issues then clearly it's something that particular client is doing. Is she a picker/nibbler? So is she unconsciously fiddling with them looking for a tiny edge to pick at for example?

Chipping and lifting are two different problems too, chipping at the free edge implies damage so I would suggest she's using them like tools for something. Lifting (unless its at the free edge caused by chipping) would imply some kind of chemical breaking down the product. This could be some moisturisers, cleaning products, etc,

Exactly as Trinity says above.

If the client denies responsibility for looking after her nails then if it were me, I would say to her that Gel obviously isn't suiting her nail type and to use normal polish from now on which she can then take off at home when it starts to look tired.
You can also suggest that another salon with a different brand might be worth her trying.

Either:
  • the client will start looking after own nails better
  • agree to normal polish
  • go else where and end your stress
There is only so much we can do for a client :rolleyes:

Is she pregnant or nursing ? I sent a client away after she kept moaning and then one day whipped out her boob while doing her nails to feed her child () and I’m like ummmmm that is why ur nails lifting honey.

She now stopped breastfeeding and come back to me again and bingo no lifting ...

I have this problem with just one of my clients also. I use Gelish and most of my clients get 3 weeks out of theirs but it just doesn’t last on this one client although she finds shellac lasts great on her.

Last edited:
You mention you used acetone to dehydrate!? This could be a MAJOR issue! Is she oiling? From your description they sound dry! Also it may just not suit her nails. I love how us techs do try to problem solve but sometimes there is no reason....it’s just not suitable for them! X

Latest posts

Back