I think it's time for a change

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerry0875

Reaction score
Happy New Year to you all...

I have been in the beauty industry since I left school 20 years ago working at a health spa, beauty salons, then whilst the children were little I worked mobile for a number of years. Over the years I have done lots of training and Holistic therapies, teacher training and I guess you could say my work has been a big part of my life. Unfortunately I have disc damage problems with my back and so last year decided to rent a room so I wouldn't be lugging my gear around with me, I also had looked for a little part time job but finding something that fit in with the children seemed impossible! I did several more courses to bring me up to date with the current market and got very excited about my new little business! Well to cut a long story short it hasn't really worked out, and my back is causing me a lot of pain :cry:

I've been so up and down about the whole thing as my heart is still with beauty and holistic therapies but my body has had enough :cry:
I have pretty much decided to leave the treatment room that I have been renting but I have a number of regular clients that I have been doing for donkeys years and don't know what to do about them, as I'm sure you are aware I have grown with these lovely ladies and they mean far more to me than just 'clients'.

I feel at such a cross roads, don't know where to go from here, I would like to teach but don't know if I have the confidence to get straight into a class room after all these years (since I did my teacher training)...I don't even know what else I would like to do :confused:

I have decided though to sell up some of my equipment products, does anyone know other than ebay where I could advertise?

Sorry guy's for the long post, thanks for reading xx

You can sell things on the beauty guild website.

There are many people who dream of teaching who would love to have 20 years industry experience behind them. Regarding teaching, i reckon you should go for it :)

Thankyou, that made me feel better x

You should really give the teaching route a go. With 20 Yrs in the industry and your varied work experience I am positive you would be a very inspiring tutor to young girls who want to succeed in the Beauty Industry. You should be proud you have worked so hard all these years and have achieved what you have.

I gained my NVQ & CIDESCO qualifications back in 95 & 96, but left the industry in 2004 to work elsewhere. I often wish I hadn't changed my career, but instead trained to teach Beauty as I had such lovely and knowledgeable tutors at the college I trained at. Now I have young Children I have returned to Beauty as a part time therapist and am really loving it, so I am sure you would miss the industry if you were to hang up your white uniform for good.

Good luck and all the best with your new journey

xx:hug:

I understand totally about the back pain, as i too have a damaged disc and chronic back back, had to leave my career in caring industry through it, so retrained and now self employed.

Could you not work from home instead? x

Go for teaching-you'll be fine. xx

Thankyou, I really appreciate your replies :hug:

I have no spare room to work from home and to be honest I have never fancied it really unless I had a completely separate room to the house...

I keep looking at the job page on my local college website, I think I may write to them though :idea:

Hi Kerry,

Rather than get rid of your room, could you not train a fresh out of college newbie to do the treatments for you. This way it may build your confidence regarding you teaching, but also your clientele will have continued loyalty, and would probably be quite happy to try out the new member of staff, as you are still in the wings.

Have you thought about providing training as an independent, maybe just one to one training to begin with, you have the skills of writing lesson plans, assessments etc...........don't live with regret, go for it xxxxxx

No advice or pearls of wisdom from me.

Just wanted to send a hug and say whatever you decide, I wish you all the very best.

H xx

Latest posts

Back