I want to make my own bread

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillian w

Reaction score
I remember making it at school and it just ending up all hard crust enough to break your teeth and not very nice .I have got a bread maker but would like to try without packets any geeks make good bread and can give me their tips x

I don't buy bread anymore, I make my own and it's far better than shop bought, I've also thrown out the bread maker and just use a sturdy food mixer Kenwood/Kitchen Aid type. There's lots of different flours readily available now, plus seeds and grains too. Mixing half wholemeal with strong white gives the taste and appearance of brown without the heaviness. I also don't use quick yeast that you add dry, I buy the stuff you buy in tins and mix up in a jug to ferment before adding to the mixture. If you want to add various seeds, add after the first prove not before, you get a better rise. I knead for at least 15 mins, 10 mins in the mixer and 5-10 by hand before the first prove. The first prove I leave for 2 hours, the second an hour. Bread needs to bake in a hot oven, 220c for 30 mins, a little longer for a thick crust. I always throw in a mug of cold water into a tray at the bottom of the oven as soon as I've put the bread in. If you like savoury breads, browned onion, chopped garlic and rosemary is lovely, added after the 1st prove (2nd kneading). If you want to make baguettes, the baguette trays are worth it as they retain the proper shape. Hth

Latest posts

Back