IBD Just Gel polish Black Lava!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blissful25

Reaction score
Hi ladies! Been trained in ibd just gel for over a year now and I love it! Only issue/colour I have ever had an issue with is black lava? If I'm doing nail art it smudges during top coat, and if I do it all over on a nail it seems to crinkle and peel easily. Have tried everything to correct it! Thin layers etc and nothing seems to work! Any suggestions or a faulty product?! Thanks!

I never use IBD just gel before, but I had experience with crinkle and lifting with Gelish, what I do is I wipe off the tacky layer after the foundation gel is cured and slightly buff the foundation, apply the gel as usual, crinkle never happens again<3 if you smudge during topcoat, why don't you wipe it with cleanser after you finish curing the art? Then apply top coat.

Ah! Thank you I will have to try that! Does using the cleanser in the middle affect how the layers of gel cure against each other or cause any peeling? Thanks again!

I had/ have the exact same problem with black lava to the point now where I hate it and hope no one chooses that colour would be good to know if that tip works tho

Black lava is one of the only ibd just gel color i will never use ever ever again lol... I need like 5 coats to get coverage its horrible ! Blackpool shellac is by far the best nlack coverage so far for me.. Will be trying out gelish soon

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek

I have heard so many people complain about black lava. I have it & have no issues what so ever. I absolutely love it. 2 coats & its Perfect. No wrinkling or anything. I'm almost scared about running out of this one & getting a dodgy one &#128552;

(Just a thought, do you girls have black lava with the new lid & brush? The new 1 has ibd on the top. I find that brush gives me problems, not with the wrinkling, but needing more coats to get a solid colour & an even finish)

I'm not loving the new style tops! I'm Considering pouring it put and using a different brush instead lol

I'm not loving the new style tops! I'm Considering pouring it put and using a different brush instead lol

Hate the new tops. I have complained about them on here a few times &#128528;
That's exactly what I have done with a couple of colours. Poured them into other bottles, Black lava being 1 of them. I hate the new brushes. I find them too stiff & can't get a nice even application.

Ah! Thank you I will have to try that! Does using the cleanser in the middle affect how the layers of gel cure against each other or cause any peeling? Thanks again!

After you used the cleanser on the colour coat( not after the top coat) you'll see that your colour will have a matte-kind of surface after the cleanser evaporate, only after top coat that you need to buff before adding more gel because it's to glossy. I used to buff after cleanser but after one time I tried on myself , and on an impatient client, it last with no chip after three week, with a lot of acrylic nail art, This one ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1396762969.879142.jpg

But only on colour coat, if on the foundation layer , I'll still buff it because it's quite glossy, didn't dare to try it.

Hope it helps, make sure to let us know after you've tried the tips ;)

Ibd and trugel black and white are rubbish! I now use gelish!

Just wondering if anyone has ever used a different brands black alongside the ibd system? Tried cleansing before topcoat etc and it just wipes my designs :( getting frustrating!

Just wondering if anyone has ever used a different brands black alongside the ibd system? Tried cleansing before topcoat etc and it just wipes my designs :( getting frustrating!

Why don't you just do your design with acrylic paint?

I've never used acrylic? Can I use it over gel polish? And how would I go about it? Thanks!

I've never used acrylic? Can I use it over gel polish? And how would I go about it? Thanks!

Of course you can! But only for art, you can't use it as a colour. These are some of my works using gel and Jo Sonja acrylic paint.ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1397298678.880292.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1397298711.946498.jpg

Last edited:
What I do is

1. Apply foundation, then apply two layer of colour.

2. Remove the tacky layer(no TIO involved)*

3. Draw any design with acrylic paint, as long as you don't use the acrylic act as a colour and cover the gel fully.

4. Jo Sonja is a very high quality paint and it should be very fast dry, if you have any mistake, try not to thicken it, wipe off the design using cleanser.

5. apply 2 layer of top coat** to ensure no chip or peeling of the gel. Remove the tacky layer after the last cure.

Done;)

* in after remove the tacky layer I usually don't buff, but if you're not confident or your gel show a glossy surface you can buff it. It suppose it have a matte surface if you use cleanser before TIO

** I use a layer of foundation gel after the acrylic paint dry, then TIO at the last. Because I find the foundation is much more thicker hence making it more secure.

Glad you brought it up! I thought it was just me doing something wrong with black lava, I couldn't work out why it was crinkling so annoying Anyway thanks might not cringe at the thought of a client picking it now :) x

Does it crinkle anymore?

It's worked slightly better, still had issues with a few nails that I had to re do though! Progress at least!!

Latest posts

Back