Idea how to make money at the moment (mobile)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twixabix

Reaction score
So after reading a few comments on here it seems a lot of people have the same thoughts as me about having to work seven days a week to catch up with everybody once this isolation has been lifted.
So I’ve come up with the idea of offering a colour drop-off service mixing up a small amount my regular clients colour and leaving it on there doorstep so they can just touch up their own hairline/parting.
Not only is it a way of making a little bit of money at the moment it means
1 everyone wont be needing their colour done straight away therefore giving more time to get all those haircuts done
2 it will stop people buying box colours from the chemist and making a mess of there hair
Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea. Would love to hear good or bad [emoji4]

So after reading a few comments on here it seems a lot of people have the same thoughts as me about having to work seven days a week to catch up with everybody once this isolation has been lifted.
So I’ve come up with the idea of offering a colour drop-off service mixing up a small amount my regular clients colour and leaving it on there doorstep so they can just touch up their own hairline/parting.
Not only is it a way of making a little bit of money at the moment it means
1 everyone wont be needing their colour done straight away therefore giving more time to get all those haircuts done
2 it will stop people buying box colours from the chemist and making a mess of there hair
Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea. Would love to hear good or bad [emoji4]
It seemed like a good idea to me too, until I realised that if there are any contraindications, like banding, the colour not covering, the client getting burned. you are responsible because you are the one choosing and supplying the product in question. I don't think your insurance will cover this idea unfortunately.
And to be fair everyone who doesn't normally box dye, are all in the same situation.
I feel that retailing a product like color wow pallets is a safer option, if your clients are that worried about their roots.
You could also recommend a tinted shampoo and conditioner to your clients to preserve their existing colour.
I'm not telling you what to do, this is just my view on it.
For small businesses I think it's a big risk to take.

Nice idea but as @ronray says, your insurance won’t cover you if it goes wrong as you’re not doing it yourself.
With people not earning money, I’m sure they won’t hesitate to sue if they have a reaction to the colour, however minor.

I think retailing shampoo and styling products is a safer option.

I have dropped off root colour to several of my clients- with full PPe and typed instructions.
I have been doing my clients for years and they're all white coverage so I feel the banding would be worse if they didnt top up, or if they used box colour, than if I did this.

They've sent me pics, and so far it's been good.

I have dropped off root colour to several of my clients- with full PPe and typed instructions.
I have been doing my clients for years and they're all white coverage so I feel the banding would be worse if they didnt top up, or if they used box colour, than if I did this.

They've sent me pics, and so far it's been good.
Aren't we only meant to be making 'essential ' journeys at the moment? ie. Medical, essential food shopping or exercise reasons? Luckily most of my clients are taking Covid 19 seriously and wouldn't dream of asking me to break the rules for something so trivial, the NHS is much more important than roots, when they can't go anywhere anyway! I have suggested a demi box colour they can include in their grocery shop, for greys, in a very similar shade to the permanent formula I use. We can sort it out afterwards. Blondes will have to have fashionable dark roots for a while. I must be really lucky, most of my clients are a rare breed of rational, considerate people and don't think the world revolves around them

Luckily my journey to their houses were part of my regular shopping trip, it just took 10 mins longer.

I couldn't advise them on box colour as I really dont know much about them, and as I had all the stuff to hand it was as easy to bag up what they needed and drop it off, just like a delivery driver would.

I'm sure it wouldn't work if there were 30 or 40 clients who wanted it, but 3 longterm loyal clients who wanted to keep their spirits up whilst indoors, and who wanted to assure me that they were going to continue with my services was manageable.

Hopefully in 4 or 5 weeks time there won't be a need to do it again as we may have a shutdown exit strategy in place although I see that looking doubtful for the vulnerable.

Fingers crossed we and all our clients last that long.

Just a quick update to this post. I emailed my insurance company on Mon 11th May, knowing it would be at least 4th July until we see our clients. My company cover me if I carry out a patch test (exact formula as used on the head ) at least 48 hrs before scalp application & mix it for their immediate use to apply themselves. I left a bowl on their doorstep & watched them apply the skin test with their own cotton bud. I left a bag containing tint brush, gloves, disposable capes, a copy of the safety information , clear instructions & section clips. They all signed a disclaimer saying they were happy to apply, etc, I'm not liable for damages, uneven application, etc and I had patch tested. I will be mixing their colours in my car on Wednesday for them to apply immediately. These are all very loyal clients with solid regrowth using their usual formula.

This sounds like a lovely service and I’m sure your clients will appreciate it. They are are absolutely entitled to purchase any non essential goods and services they like as long as these are delivered to their home. We can deliver, just like any other business trying to survive.

Travel for work has always been permitted under lock down rules. Earning a living isn’t trivial.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back