Ill off nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambam

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Im just wondering if anyone has found themselves feeling ill after doing a set of nails. I did a rebalance tuesday night and a full set the next day, and today I had a funny tummy! This has happened twice now. Im hoping its just a coincidence, maybe I ate something both times and I do wonder if I have IBS. Im just worried that if it is the products I might have to stop doing nails!
Do you know if thats likely?

Thanx! x

sore throat and bad taste in my mouth. just ordered an extractor fan so hopefully that will help, if not its back to the mask!

ps. do you drink at your nail station. i was told not to do this, because if you left your cup on the desk all day at the end it would have a film of dust on it, so imagine what ingesting that could do day after day, week after week! (marco the great's advice again!)

No I don't. I
sometimes have a sore/dry throat too. That sounds gross!
I was wondering if it was from sitting there for a long time leaning over?

Just a thought -

When you are working are you breathing through your mouth or nose....

I've seen some techs who when focussing really hard work with their mouth hanging open. Therefore they are breathing in all the dust, which if it coated the lining of your mouth would be quite irritating... And a really easy way to be ingesting product and potentially causing an overexposure...

Slouching forward, leaning into your work is really hard on your body and can cause a lot of pain through your core (lower back, abdominals, and possibly internally) Make sure your sitting straight with a two foot sphere between your face and your nails....

it wouldn't matter if i breathed through my nose because i pluck all the hairs out anyway LOL!

Thanx Envy!
I lean right over and dont even realise im doin it till after when my back is aching :smack: !

Just hope it is that and not me having a reaction to the products :eek: .

Make sure your nails look STUNNING when you start your rounds, its the first thing people look at!

Also bear in mind that Saturday can be busy and you might not get a lot of time with each salon manager, you could try a quieter day in the week?

I would also recommend taking a card from each salon, noting down the name of the manager and making a follow up call middle of the following week to see if they have any questions they would like to ask you, this way, if your CV has slipped under the desk diary it comes back up to the top again!

Very best of luck!

Naomi

DOOOOHHH!!!

issues (technical ones...maybe I should just go to bed)!
Nx

this may sound silly, but were you nervous? there are certain people, that i'm nervous of dealing with. i get kind of a funny tummy afterwards...:o

do you have proper ventilation? a little fresh air may help too.

Last time i did a course, i got told off for leaning over. I was told to make sure i was sitting comfortably, don't worry about putting your client's hand where YOU want them, they are only there for 90 mins, your there for life!

i tend to breath through my mouth only due to concentration, i end up with a drippy nose too, sometimes i do end up with a slight sore through due to myself not breathing properly

Toni Talons said:
Last time i did a course, i got told off for leaning over. I was told to make sure i was sitting comfortably, don't worry about putting your client's hand where YOU want them, they are only there for 90 mins, your there for life!
Ha ha, they may be there with you for 90 mins.... but newly trained or trainee it may be up to 3 hours!!!!
I do get ill sometimes, but I have to remember to move the clients hand round for me and not bend over the table and crick my neck.... it will come in time. Last Saturday I did two in a row... not much for the experienced ones around, but it made me sick! I didn't have a break in between and I found my self right "on top" of the nails!
Tommorrow, I will try again!
But I do understand what you mean xx:green:

extensionten said:
Ha ha, they may be there with you for 90 mins.... but newly trained or trainee it may be up to 3 hours!!!!
I do get ill sometimes, but I have to remember to move the clients hand round for me and not bend over the table and crick my neck.... it will come in time. Last Saturday I did two in a row... not much for the experienced ones around, but it made me sick! I didn't have a break in between and I found my self right "on top" of the nails!
Tommorrow, I will try again!
But I do understand what you mean xx:green:

yea, i lied usually its more like 2 hours for me too!

*JOANNE* said:
i tend to breath through my mouth only due to concentration, i end up with a drippy nose too, sometimes i do end up with a slight sore through due to myself not breathing properly

ewwwww jo your never ever doing my nails lol;)

Lol!

Thanx very much for your replies!

It takes me 2 hours too! I'll remember everything you've said, i need to stop leaning over! x

Hi there

Take it you're talking about acrylics?
It's recommended you and your client wears a mask! I wonder how many therapists do all day long.

I remember when I did my foundation course, it was really hot in the room, and at the end of each day I drove home feeling ill and light headed. Then when I practiced upstairs away from the family, they all moaned about the smell! It took over the whole house.

I must admit going over to gels and getting away from that acrylic smell, and all that dust has been the right thing for me. When I did acrylics, I noticed that I would get an itchy rash on the inside of my elbow if I didn't wear long sleeves. Looking back now I reckon it was the dust.

Deb379

These problems do not have to happen everyone!!

Nail products do not cause illness.

How do you explain the thousands of techs who work all day every day and never have these symptoms if it was the products causing the problems??

The explanation is that THEY (the thousands of nail technicians who work all day every day) are working in better conditions and with better ergonomics than you are. They either have correct extraction ventilation OR they are minimizing vapors and dust by working more efficiently with their products. There are many ways to do this.
  • Not wiping monomer from your brush on the paper towel ... (use a pad dampened with sanitizer (ie ScrubFresh) to wipe on if you must.
  • correct storage of waste ... in a metal pedal bin
  • not creating dust in the first place ... by sculpting with your brush and not filing (OH how many times have I said this)
  • Not leaning in the dust you create ... by frequent changing of paper towels
  • Using a covered dappen dish to minimize vapors
  • Cleaning your files of all dust between clients and sanitizing them
I could go on and on and on.

Don't blame your products, blame your methods.
P:S: I have never worn a mask in my life. It is not a recommendation and not needed if you work with clean safe methods.

Latest posts

Back