Illamasqua-what do we think?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prettyflamingo

Reaction score
Hey ladies just popped over from hair , I'm really REALLY desperate to do a make up course ( aside from hair and shoes) its a big interest of mine , however I'm stuck as to where I should do a course . On myself I'm a massive MAC fan , I know that this company don't actually run a course but there are academies that use the products , I've also heard that illamasqua is the upcoming product and the gallery pics on their website look great !! Help !! Any recommendations ?!! Thanks!

Hey ladies just popped over from hair , I'm really REALLY desperate to do a make up course ( aside from hair and shoes) its a big interest of mine , however I'm stuck as to where I should do a course . On myself I'm a massive MAC fan , I know that this company don't actually run a course but there are academies that use the products , I've also heard that illamasqua is the upcoming product and the gallery pics on their website look great !! Help !! Any recommendations ?!! Thanks!

Hi there

I'm guessing that you are looking for courses based in the North West becaue you're in Wigan? A course with Illamasqua would mean you going to London to do it. Have you thought about a night school class with a local college? If you want a shorter, day time course there is a fantastic make up school in Stockport and some others in manchester. Just google make up courses in your area.

I would then suggest attending some of the Illamasqua free masterclasses that will be closer to you (Manchester Selfridges, Trafford Selfridges) if you are interested in them but don't want to travel to their courses. When you're qualified you can also register with MAC pro and attend their free masterclasses x

Hey there that's great advice thankyou ! In not bothered if I have to travel just want to ensure I get the best or most applicable training to me , is the one in Stockport the academy of make up ? I had a look and it looks promising, as I'm not a make up pro I'm just so undecided as to which route to take !! Thanks again ! :o)

Illamasqua arguable has some of the best artists in the UK. There look is strong, not your typical bridal look and there staff are always qualified make up artists and have an amazing knowledge.
I can't comment on there training programme for unqualified people but when you do qualify you should def look into a job with them they then put you on there own in house training, I would argue they are MACs biggest rivals in terms of artistry (not sales or brand awareness but I think they will get there)

Illamasqua is amazing!! I've used it about 3 years when it first launched and was a tiny company!! I love it for my drag make up, I love mac for nights out make up but weddings id say Dior or guerlain personally, but this depends on look wanted

Hey there that's great advice thankyou ! In not bothered if I have to travel just want to ensure I get the best or most applicable training to me , is the one in Stockport the academy of make up ? I had a look and it looks promising, as I'm not a make up pro I'm just so undecided as to which route to take !! Thanks again ! :o)

I think it's the school of make up in Stockport so not sure if you are reffering to the same one? I've heard fantastic things about it.

What exactly are you wanting to do with make up? If you decide that then you can be more specific with your course, e.g. bridal, fashion etc. x

Thanks guys for your opinions , feel a bit more enlightened now !! Well , I'm hairdresser and would like to be able to do make up for any shoots I do ( I'm a bit of a perfectionist and want to do it myself!! ) but also , I'd like to be able to offer a service to clients aswell , ie bridal , or simply just occasion make up , I'm not necessarily interested in theatrical / special effects , just a bit avant garde / editorial with a bit of commercial , am I being unrealistic ?!

Hi, I have had no training but have been looking at all of the make up courses as I also would like to do this one day,(it's on my long list of things to do).

I like the look of Illamasqua, and it does seem that the courses are very good which I have also read on other forums, but because the looks are so strong I was thinking of doing them as more add ons rather than my basis for make-up training.

Have you had a look at London Muse, they get a lot of good reviews, also AOFM, both are in London.

Good luck, and I would love to know what you decide on xx

Oh and if you could get to Norwich then the course by Sam and Nic Chapman are meant to be fantastic.

You can check them out on youtube under pixiwoo.

Thankyou for your reply !! It's so hard to choose ! I also have a very long list of things to do , think I should finish my cert ed before I sign up for more courses , when it comes to make up I can't help myself !!!

Thankyou for your reply !! It's so hard to choose ! I also have a very long list of things to do , think I should finish my cert ed before I sign up for more courses , when it comes to make up I can't help myself !!!

Finish what you're doing and have a good think. You've got plenty of time to ask around and even go and visit places and talk to the tutors x

Think that's probably a wise idea! Thankyou !! :o)

Thank you for this thread ...... I am stuck between illmasqua and Art Deco! I would live to to do the 5 day Illmasqua training in London and have begun saving but I also like that Art Deco has such a great reputation for photograpic work and the starter collections they sell look great to get you going.

I'll be watching this thread with great interest!

Xx Claire 😃

Artdeco have great products I went to their hq for the day for a demo and to get my kit, I don't think the training as the same industry reputation as Illamasqua though. Depends what u want the course for though? It it's most fashion or just bridal? Are you a beauty therapist is this just an add on? Xxx

Aw​

Awwww thanks for the response 😃

I am a beauty therapist returning to the world of beauty after a long time away. I'm looking for a brand for wedding and occasion make up in the main which is why I am steering more to Art Deco. But I love the image of illmasqua and feel the training in particular would open the door for opportunities to the more dramatic world of theatre and shows.

As usual I am trying to justify both !!! Lol!!!!

Claire xxxx

I personally think that for a beauty therapist doing make up art deco would be the best option, you get the products at trade price and can sell to clients and there make up is great, especially for brides, I've had photographers comment that the rich treatment foundation is the best they've every photographed. BUT if you are aiming for more fashion/theatre then Illamasqua xxx

Thankyou again I'm loving all these options !!! X

Thank you :)

Art Deco for me! I rang the other day about kit costs and training and all sounds like just the thing I am looking for.

Thank oooooooo Claire :)

hi...just wondering if anyone has recently done any makeup courses from a good artist or a makeup school that they can recommend?? I am mainly interested in bridal or photoshoots to showcase my work. I did a basic makeup course which was a complete rip off......:sad: any advice would be a great help xx

hi...just wondering if anyone has recently done any makeup courses from a good artist or a makeup school that they can recommend?? I am mainly interested in bridal or photoshoots to showcase my work. I did a basic makeup course which was a complete rip off......:sad: any advice would be a great help xx

Hey , unfortunately I just haven't has the time to pursue make up :( so unfortunately i wouldn't be much help ! A friend of mine paid a fortune for a make up course in manchester run by a reputable "celebrity " make up artist , and said it was awful . I have heard great illamasqua reviews :)

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Latest posts

Back