I'm not that good at short graduations-help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissBeki

Reaction score
hey everyone. I started my level 2 nvq hairdressing a year ago. I should have finished July but due to personal issues I've got an extended deadline. However I have an issue. I suck at short graduations. I've tried a couple of different techniques but no matter how much I practice I just can't get it right. I seem to get the angle wrong (specs say 45degree as I know there are many variations), I think I'm over directing and just the cutting positions are uncomfortable. I have until end of next week to finish and they are my last two cuts. It gets me to the point I feel like saying nope I quit. Does anyone have any advice at all? I've watched several videos but happy to watch more. My tutors have helped me as much as they can and if they guide me I'm fine but I can't do it on my own. I do have memory issues (due to a medical condition) so I dunno if that's adding extra issue but I feel so thick :( Any advice at all will be gratefully received! Thanks

I've just finished my level 2 and found Tgis one difficult too!
Cut a one length bob.
Divide into your basic four sections.
Isolate a strip vertically at centre of the back of your dolls head from crown to nape.
Stand directly behind the dolls head. Never move from this position.
Take your strip Between two fingers vertically at the root so they are resting on the head.
Pull out at that angle and cut however long you want.
Half the section vertically, add the same amount to the right or left of the section working towards the front of the head.
Do the same as you did before, fingers against the head at the centre of the back, pull outwards until you can see your guideline then cut.
Continue to the front of the head.
Remember at the end to comb all hair back and cut off any overhanging hairs where it is shorter at the back.

Remember that you are always working on that original guideline, so your finger position and angle will remain the same. Googlehaircutting stationary guide.
If you get lost, repeat the first step and cross check towards the front of the head until you find where you have gone wrong.

You may find it easier to point cut instead of club cut.

I get confused if I work one side first so I tend to cut the next section then go to the opposite side and back again.

Getting this right is all about understanding the angles (fingers and body position), cross checking and lots of practice. Don't worry, if it hasn't clicked yet. I'm sure it will do if you keep practising.

If you haven't already, subscribe to Freesaloneducation on YouTube and watch Matt Beck. His commentary is always very clear and detailed.

Latest posts

Back