In my late 20's, am I too old to be an apprentice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werewolfhair

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was working at a salon as an aprentice for 8 days and the boss said I had to work full time. I told her I could but that I had to wait in 2 months for personal reasons. I can understand that she was up set. Her response was that the only reason why she hired me was because I was persistant. But that she was skeptic because I worked at a previous salon for 1 year and that I was "old" 28 and have children. While I was there I asked around the girls ages and they said 25 or 27 with 5 or 8 years of experience. They started really young as an aprentice under her. And I'm here age 28 starting my career. It felt intimidating.
So when the boss said that I was "old" I felt sort of offended. So it got me to think. Am I really old to started out as a hairdresser. Is it better to start in your early 20's and why??

Your defiantly not too old to become a hairdresser, and I think that there are some advantages starting "older" than most. In the UK it would be harder to find work as an apprentice due to minimum wage laws, but I see that you are from Texas so you will already have a cosmetology licence before becoming an apprentice. Hopefully one of the stateside guys will be able to advise you better. Good luck :)

Yes I have my license already but thank you for your comments

I am 38 and I'm an apprentice. I have to say I love it. I feel I fit in well with the young stylists as I haven't let age be relevant in my attitude. I don't blame you being offended by that ageist remark. She was definitely out of order. Just be sure to carry on your training with as much confidence as possible and you will fly through. X

Latest posts

Back