In need of help re damaged coloured hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy

Reaction score
Hi

I'm hoping that someone will be able to give me some advice.

I have been colouring my hair using permanent hair dye recently though it only lasts a couple of weeks. I wash my hair every other day but straighten daily. I do use a heat spray prior to hairdrying and straightening. I think the reason the colour is not holding is as it's damaged but how can I repair it?

I am very reluctant to not use my straighteners as my hair has a natural wave to it and looks awful when not straightened. I also have a little grey which is why I colour it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I suggest only having the colour applied to the roots and then brought down through to the roots for the last 5 minutes. I have bleached hair and used Philip Kingsley elasticizer which is a treatment that you can leave in your hair over night. It is amazing. Also a shampoo and conditioner that is colour safe and very moisturising would help for example Redken do a shampoo. condition called extreme which is for very damaged hair. Hopfully you will notice results

p.s make sure your heat protector is a good brand as this could be the problem. I recomend visiting your nearest hair salon to get this :lol:

I would recommend visiting a salon for a deep penetrating conditioning treatment but you will need more than one treatment. Some salons use Biolustre which states it is only needed for 1 treatment but it is expensive, I have ever used this myself so I can not say if 1 treatment will be enough though. I would concentrate on repairing your hair first before looking into applying more colour.

your colour wont stay stable no matter how often you colour it at the moment.....damgaed/porous hair has cuticles which are damgaged and open/ leaving gaps...colour molecules are designed to be small enough to penetrate through the cuticle and swell...so they are to large to come back out....(there is more to it than that chemically etc) and that is out of hair which cuticles arent damaged or open but closed.....so becasue you have damaged hair which means damaged cuticle the large molecules can escape back out of the hair...so the hair isnt holding onto the colour........
i would go to a salon...have a course of conditioning treatments...and if you really cannot take the grey(not a high percentage or it wont cover) root regrowth have a semi/quazi .....until hair is in better condition...quazi's use a very weak hydrogen peroxide and offer condition an shine.....
if money is an issue book into your local college...they are allways in need of clients hun x

i would go to a salon...have a course of conditioning treatments...and if you really cannot take the grey(not a high percentage or it wont cover) root regrowth have a semi/quazi .....until hair is in better condition...quazi's use a very weak hydrogen peroxide and offer condition an shine.....
if money is an issue book into your local college...they are allways in need of clients hun x

Hi, I will second all the above advice too ,
and will you let us know how you get on ? :hug:

Hi just a quick update, got back this morning after having the first conditioning treatment on my hair. I had it done at my local college and only paid £3!! I had a great experience, it has been recommended to me to have a treament every other week for 6 months. I am booked in next week for another treatment and hair cut. The treatment did take along time as they are only learning but I didn't mind a bit in fact i'm booking my two girls in for a hair cut very soon. I was told that the college don't get enough custom from the public and the students can find it hard getting enough family and friends to book. I would highly recommend anyone a visit I am certain that they will rebook!! Thank you for the advice, here is hoping for lovely shiny locks enventually:lol:

Hi just a quick update, got back this morning after having the first conditioning treatment on my hair. I had it done at my local college and only paid £3!! I had a great experience, it has been recommended to me to have a treament every other week for 6 months. I am booked in next week for another treatment and hair cut. The treatment did take along time as they are only learning but I didn't mind a bit in fact i'm booking my two girls in for a hair cut very soon. I was told that the college don't get enough custom from the public and the students can find it hard getting enough family and friends to book. I would highly recommend anyone a visit I am certain that they will rebook!! Thank you for the advice, here is hoping for lovely shiny locks enventually:lol:

Hi, I am so glad you took the advice ,
Ill bet the students will be really glad that you went along ,

thank you so much for keeping us updated
I think its great that you are getting good hair services from the students
Its great at the college,
and dont forget
you can have massages nails and beauty treatments too,
mmm I could do with some college pampering too:)

well done :hug: ,
sending you lots of hugs to you and your girls too :hug:

its the same with my college not enough of the public know about us...saying that before i became a student i didnt know you could get your hair done there either...its brilliant that you are now supporting the students and youll be helping them in passing their assessments..you got some one signed off today by having a conditioning treatment.
:hug::hug::hug::hug:

Hi ya just found ur post, glad ur getting some good treatments now,

have u also considered the shampoo you are actually using? if its a strong shampoo like a tea tree..... vosene.. head and sholders etc, that could be adding to the colour stripping, on top of the other facts as already mentioned above,

worth thinking about :)

hey the deep penetrating conditioners help if you leave them on over night also if you wash your hair if it doesn't need washing or if your using too harsh shampooes and conditioners but you can get ones from toni and guy specially formulated for different colours eg red heads brunnetes blondes etc hope this helps x

if the colours red , it does fade quickly ,and if your hair has white/grey in it the colour (any colour) doesnt hold quite as well on it - thats why we use or blend base ( natural colour ) with it . If you hair is dry and sufferes a lot of abuse - this can add to the problem of colour holding . Generally you should be colouring your hair every 4- 6 weeks maybe longer ,but not earlier .
Try using a semi permanant every other time , as these colours sit on the outside of the hair they coat it ,rather than penetrating it . the result will be slightly differant , but with so little regrowth it will blend and add shine - they wont do though is LIghten the hair .
Or you can go to the hairdresser , mobile or college , and they will help take the guesswork out for you , and provide the best result for your hair and life style.
p.s swimming / sun also fades the hair

Fab ! Colleges are great for treatments like this.

:idea: they have a little more time than salons,maybe you could ask them to help you style your hair without the use of straightners,with the right products they will be able to show you how to acheive the modern casual toussled look ,as an alternative.

Not only will it give your hair a break but you might even like the look AND it won't cost any more to be shown how to do it professionally ....... you've nothing to loose and they will enjoy the change,colleges usually retail the products you need too. Just a thought !

:hug:

Latest posts

Back