Ingrown Toe Nail & Overlays

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacey P

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I need your help! I really want to make my toes look pretty for the summer :biggrin:

I have on both of my big toes ingrowing toe nails which I usually keep very short as when the nail reaches the top of my toe to form a free edge the sides get really painful, even to walk. I usually have them cut very short so there is no free edge and straight as every time I have taken the corners off I get an infection in them.

Firstly does anyone know how to fix my toes to get rid of an ingrowing toe nail so i can get them longer than usual? Do I just grow them and the pain will go away?

Second can i use acrylic overlay on them or is it best to stick with gel?

Please help I'm fed up with the pain and want a pretty french manicure on them

Hi Stacey

I have the same problem as you - please somebody help!!

Gina

Its nice to know someone is in the same situation, everyone thinks I'm a big wimp when my toe nails get to long and I start to hobble until I cut them!

you can go 2 the doctors and they will send u 2 hospital 2 get it cut out

this will sort out your ingrowing toenails
the reason your getting them is because your cutting your nails 2 short
i use 2 have the same problem and this is what the doctor told me
luckly mine sorted themselves out on there own

hiya....you dont have to have any free edge to be able to have french...you can create it with the white gel/l&p....i have done some very short nails and made them look longer doing this....i like the straight toenails....looks clean and crisp.

Thanks NailStyle I'll have a got on monday with the french then.

If I grow my toe nails is there anything I can do to reduce the pain? I would like to try and fix them myself before I go to the doctors due to being in and out of the hospital when I was little and now it has to be life threatening to get me to go back! I'm :Scared: s*itless of hospitals, needles and doctors. I agree they are to short but I try and grow them and the pain makes me cut them off again!

The only i remember about toe nails like this is years ago with my dad...his where the same....he was told to only ever cut them straight, never round..that way the corners wont grown into you skin...he grew his but kept them straight untill they had past the edge of the toe so there wasnt any skin for them to go into to.....while they where growing, every day he used a cocktail stick and went down the side of the nail and the free edge to make sure they where not growing into the skin...he sort of trained them.

best of luck i hope you get them sorted...

I a nail that was thinking about becoming ingrown but, as Angie suggested, just try to train it!! It can be a tad uncomfortable but it does work!!

HTH

Tilly xx

Hay how u doing? I no how u feel! I went to my doctors with the same thing about 4 years ago he put me forward for surgery and the pain was unbearable:eek: , It got to the stage that I was on a never ending waiting list and I had to do something. So I contacted a reputable chiropodist and for 2 treatments costing about £20 each, bearing in mind this was a few years ago, the pain and the problem was over, he advised me not to cut them to short as that is what had caused the problem.

The best £40 I ever spent.

As for using L&P on toes that’s fine have clients who have very short sculpts on. Good luck :biggrin:

Thanks everyone,

I'll have a go at growing them first and trying to train them, if that fails I shall try the other options!

I will try the same advice - thanks all

Gina

Chiropodists - or podiatrists as they seem to call themselves now - are your best bet, they will get your feet in order pronto!! But mine told me not to cut straight across, but to always round it slightly at the corner as the straight across finish is what causes ingrown toenails!

With regards to the overlay, I think ingrown toenails are a contra indication. Can't confirm, as feet are things I shy away from - eugh hate them!!

Hi
Are you sure the toenail is ingrown, a very common complaint is an involuted nail which does of course cause pain at the free edge, as the other ladies have said visit your local chiropodist/podiatrist, they will be able to sort out your problem quickly and hopefully pain free. Just a little bit of filing down the side wall of the nail can bring excellant results.
Regards
Lynda
Foot Health Practitioner

Latest posts

Back