Introducing a new cat

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coco.

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2 year old male cat and would love to have another one.
But I'm concerned how my other cat would react to another cat in the house.
He is such a loving affectionate cat and he seems to get on well with other cats, he actually has friends lol there's 3 other cats that come into my garden and they wait by the kitchen door for him and he goes out and they run off together up the garden, its really funny to watch so I'm thinking he would actually like a friend. I had him from the rspca when he was about 6 months old and he was there with his brother, I wanted both cats but the other was reserved. Any advice would be great and also as he's male would another male be best or a female?
There's a cat open day on saturday with the cats protection league and I'm dying to go and have a look at the homeless kitties :D

I can't help hon but I'm interested in other people's replies, I have 2 Maine coon crosses and would like a Scottish fold!! Hope you get to give the wee rescue cat it's forever home xxx

Ok so I have 2 boys who are both 2 brothers. A client has a female cat who is 6 she needs her reholmed or shes is getting put down. I want to help but not sure how my boys will be. Any advice

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ok so I have 2 boys who are both 2 brothers. A client has a female cat who is 6 she needs her reholmed or shes is getting put down. I want to help but not sure how my boys will be. Any advice

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Cant she take the cat to a no kill shelter?? Cats protection will probably take her or the rspca. That's where we got our girl from.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

I sooooo badly want a new cat for my female cat Lola who is 2 years old. She is so loving, but our male cat (Spartacus) is such a bully to her, so I thought maybe getting her a kitten might be the answer.

Spartacus is such a spoilt brat though, so I'm not sure how he'll take to having another new cat...he seems to think that he owns us :eek:

We've just introduced a kitten into our household with a 2 and half year old male cat. Would def recommend getting a female kitty as the male will feel less threatened.

Introduction process has to be done right for best possible outcome and it's so worth the time and effort but does take a while.
We were told the best way to do it is give the kitten a safe room so all there things are in there food water litter tray etc and it's important that the other cat can't get in there.

So first few days there should be no visible or face to face contact. You need to spread the new kittens scent around the house so your cat gets used to the idea that there is another cat in the house.
You do this for a few days then you should use a pen to put the kitten in and place in the same room as the other cat so they can start to see each other but with no contact do this a few times for short periods, again do this for a few days, then the next step is to let them have physical contact with supervision again only for short periods of time throughout the day, do this for a while increasing the time spent with each other before you leave them to their own devices. The kitten will be in the safe room at night etc until you get to a point when you feel comfortable that they are ok together.

It's a long winded process but we have found it a huge success our two are now best of friends it's lovely x

My 2 have been together since kittens but they barely tolerate each other. Both girls. One is top cat and the other occasionally makes a bid to knock her off her perch lol
I had 2 cats years ago who got on really well. It's down to personalities I think

One week ago a ginger stray female cat adopted us. We took her to the vets and she hasn't any micro chip.

Poor thing her tummy was swollen with worms (so the vet tells us, its sorted now) and she had fleas (got her de-flead).

And our other cat Topaz, (who lives at my partners house) is getting on ok with her. At the beginning we had lots of dirty looks from Topaz but he seems to have gotten used to her.

Fingers crossed:lol:

Latest posts

Back