IPL - does it earn money?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

little voyce

Reaction score
I'm not so bothered as to the brand, but simply if you are doing IPL could you tell me if it is making money?
I'm a very busy electrologist/skincare therapist and thought it might complement my current treatments very well.

Trying to get an overall feel of how it's performing at the moment? In my area, I don't see any other salons using it, unless they are in much bigger towns. I've had a couple of people say that, because it takes so little time, they couldn't face drving 40 minutes to and from a clinic for treatment, but if it was on their doorstep, that would be a different matter.

Any comments would be appreciated please!

Nice to see you back!

Can't answer your question but I'm also interested.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

hey im based in west sussex and use too work for a top salon that use too do i.p.l I trained with elipse, 10 years ago! when it was first introduced it was amazing! my boss earned a fortune!! but up until last year it kind of went quiet:eek: not sure if this was due too lack of advertisement? but I know there are plenty of ladies that are sill and would be interested! we use too charge £50 for upper lip treatment which took 10 mins!! hope this helps?

I'm not so bothered as to the brand, but simply if you are doing IPL could you tell me if it is making money?
I'm a very busy electrologist/skincare therapist and thought it might complement my current treatments very well.

Trying to get an overall feel of how it's performing at the moment? In my area, I don't see any other salons using it, unless they are in much bigger towns. I've had a couple of people say that, because it takes so little time, they couldn't face drving 40 minutes to and from a clinic for treatment, but if it was on their doorstep, that would be a different matter.

Any comments would be appreciated please!

I pretty much do IPL treatments and hair removal all day, everyday. Its a very good service to add to your list. You have to price it right and I would do an opening promotion, I did this and it helped get people in. Right now I get clients by word of mouth more then anything.

Photo facials are super popular! I would make sure the machine you get can do this service. It lifts and tones the skin, while reducing wrinkles and fine lines by boosting your natural collagen production.

IPL pays for bills three times over in the winter, in the summer (I own the machine) I just make the payment for the machine as I can't do most treatments due to the sun. I would find a place to rent the machine and go from there. Its cheaper in the long run to buy the machine yourself, the payments are usually cheaper then the daily rental fee.

Your very lucky that you do electrolysis! I always have to send my clients to a fellow therapist when they are done their sessions. Your always left with a few hairs here and there that you need to finish with electrolysis.

Hope this helps! :)

Jen, can you tell me what the best type of hair removal is. Laser and ipl are talked about but I have no idea of the difference or the effects.

I don't know if you know.

Vic x

Jen, can you tell me what the best type of hair removal is. Laser and ipl are talked about but I have no idea of the difference or the effects.

Vic x

Laser is definitely best especially for hair removal the main difference is the tecnology used to produce the light Laser machines produce a single wavelength of light (pure light consisting of one single colour and form), which has a very concentrated beam and specific target (the melanin in hair follicle)

IPL’s are NOT lasers. The machines produce a broad spectrum of wavelengths (like a light bulb) and cannot be focused to a concentrated beam. Because a range of different wavelengths are dispersed at a variety of depths only some of these will be effective for hair reduction.
from a professional opinion I prefer IPL for Skin Rejuvenation, thread veins etc but Laser for hair reduction
P.s little voyce I will pm you shortly :)

Last edited:

Vic x

You will get a bunch of different opinions on this :p its a debate between laser and IPL technicians. From my experience (without looking at the technical reasons behind the machine/technology differences as the post above me explains it well) from using both laser and IPL, I prefer IPL. Laser usually needs anywhere between 4-8 sessions for hair removal but is bloody painful. Yes there are laser machines out the that say pain free but the one I tried, can't remember the name, still hurt. IPL is the most ranging from 6-10 sessions depending where on the body but its completely pain free, the worst your feel is an elastic band hitting you.

Now, with IPL I've had countless happy clients achieve permanent hair removal. It rattles me when laser technicians say IPL isnt truly permanent. I've been doing IPL for 5years and no one has ever come back saying hair has grown back, the results are fantastic. Also rattles me when those techs say that IPL is better for skin treatments. This is down to the machine really as my first machine was TERRIBLE for anything skin related but was absolutely fantastic for hair removal.

I look at it in these simple terms. If you want to do skin treatments and hair removal, get an IPL. If you just want to do hair removal, get a laser.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Like you said I think its down to the machine as well, if you get a decent machine it speaks for itself x

Latest posts

Back