Is a full time wage possible?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papillion

Reaction score
I have recently become unemployeed and am looking for work.

I wondered if this is the opportunity to now go ahead and set up my own mobile/home business.

I'm single and only have myself to rely on to pay the bills. Is it possible to realistically earn myself a full time wage this way?

I get the impression a lot of people do it part time as they have kids, or another half to share bills with, or do it around another job, so am unsure if I could earn the salary I need to survive. (which btw is about 20k a year)

Is there anyone out there that has done it, or has any advice?

It's not impossible to earn a good wage but it is hard work.

I'm not very busy at the moment, but I do have another part time job (which isn't very well paid) but it helps towards the bills.

I think when you start a business of your own you have to go into it with your eyes wide open. I can remember the day I did my training I was sat on the train down to the venue thinking this time next week I'm going to be raking in the £ How wrong was I LOL I think it took me about 6 weeks after that to get my first customer in!!

even now I think god all the training I've done & I only have 2 people booked in this week. But hopefully once I'm a bit more established that will change, I probably haven't been the best of help lol but I just wanted to make you aware it really does take time to earn good money.

Good luck with whatever you decide x

Perhaps It's fate (although sorry you lost your job) but it could be a blessing in disguise, and have been enough to give you the final push to set up mobile.
I think If anyone is passionate enough about what they do and has the motivation and aren't afraid to put in the hours & hard work then anything is possible :)
All the best and I hope you achieve your dream. xx

Hi
It is possible when you are working full time and busy. Just do yourself a simple plan to work it out.
If you have to earn 20k net you need to add tax and costs to that. Very basically worked out that would probably mean you'd need to clear £30k in the year. That's nearly £600 a week. That's alot of treatments, totally achievable but I doubt in your first year or two.
You may need some other form of income just to begin with.
Good luck
Josie x

Perhaps It's fate (although sorry you lost your job) but it could be a blessing in disguise, and have been enough to give you the final push to set up mobile.
I think If anyone is passionate enough about what they do and has the motivation and aren't afraid to put in the hours & hard work then anything is possible :)
All the best and I hope you achieve your dream. xx

Totally agree!! I have just celebrated my home salons (hair) first birthday and have achieved that salary in my first year - bearing in mind that I had a bit of a clientele from previous job - hard work but v worth it :)

I'm mobile and my target was my previous wage from salon, I also achieved this in my first year. A business plan is essential! Try to get some free business advice if you can, worked wonders for me ;)

Good luck x

Try your towns library, I went to mine and got a big file on business planning etc... And can pop in anytime to te business area they have for advice.
To be honest from my end no, that wage may not be possible instantly. I lost my job and said great, now I can do what iv wanted for years.
It's slow but steadilly growing. I see every client be them 20 or 120 years old as a model who will be out there doing my advertisement. Remember that repeat bookings must be pushed. So ask at the end of service if they want to book in for next time.
Not sure what my final salary will be yet as iv not done 6 months yet, but I'm sure it will be a proud moment web I work it out. And on the plus side, iv never said until now that iv enjoyed work xoxo

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions.

I think I shall indeed visit the library to start off with and look at doing a business plan and see if there are any business courses so that I can learn more. I get the impression that prep and palnning are the key.

I'll carry on looking for work in the mean time, but this will give me something else to focus on too!

Latest posts

Back