Is a yell.com website worth doing or should I try creating my own?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emcmillan

Reaction score
Hi there, I have just recently qualified as a Make Up Artist and wish to create a website to advertise wedding/ occasion make up.
I have made an appointment with Yell for them to set up my website but on checking online they dont get the best of reviews, they are charging me £150 Plus Vat to set up and £24 per month to host, i believe this allows unlimited changes etc. and I will get the website name with .co.uk
I have had a look on the forums here and see many use weebly etc, I must admit im a bit of a computer phobic and do not do well with 'computer' language!
My concern is if I do it myself will it show on Google? Am I better leaving it to the professionals?? Should I try a simple facebook page first?
Many thanks for any opinions or help!

I have an account with yell and pay £40.01 every month.... It's brought me lots of business, I've got great reviews, and really find it useful.... I've you would like to see me full listing let me know x

That would be great thanks! Do you have a website with them or do you just pay for listing your details on yell.com, many thanks

No website just a full heavy weight listing :)

I thought they were expensive - I have a website and they quoted me a lot to redo it, and it was for a minimum of 12 months. I asked of I owned it after 12 months and they said 'no, you never own it'!!! I think there are people on here who can probably do you a site a lot cheaper - I even met a great guy last week who said his sites start at £200. He charges a really minimum amount for hosting as well - some people charge £30 per month for hosting. I currently pay £30 per year!!!

thank you so much! how can i find the people - will some reply to my thread?! would you recommend anyone or is there a place i can go on this site to find them - im a newbie so sorry for the many questions!

I cancelled my yell website in November, found them really expensive and took forever to change or add things to my site, my special offers had finished before they had even added them.
I have since done my own through Weebly, yes it took a while and I sweated blood and tears, but, it is mine and it is the way I want it, and I can change info at anytime that suits!
I am currently working on SEO's which is essential if having a website.
There are a few on here that do websites and 1 ladies name does come up quite a bit, will see if I can find it x

I cancelled my yell website in November, found them really expensive and took forever to change or add things to my site, my special offers had finished before they had even added them.
I have since done my own through Weebly, yes it took a while and I sweated blood and tears, but, it is mine and it is the way I want it, and I can change info at anytime that suits!
I am currently working on SEO's which is essential if having a website.
There are a few on here that do websites and 1 ladies name does come up quite a bit, will see if I can find it x

Thank you so much! Im thinking of just trying my own first and if i get business invest in a better one! I have no idea about SEO i have just read about it - i take it these are all things that I can do myself and dont need to pay someone to do? many thanks!

Have you tried creating your own website using www.weebly.com Its a template website, you can change the content when ever you want, shows up on google well and best part is it's FREE I recommend trying it before paying out for website that in effect you could do your self. Mine is www.beautyboxmaidstone.weebly.com.

They give you the option to pay to have a domain name if you don't want the .weebly.com bit xx

They do a lot of free stuff, and you get a page to upload Upto 20 pics, description, link your website (even if not theirs) social media links etc etc, I have someone coming out this week to talk to me about all their paid and unpaid options and if would be beneficial to me as a business etc etc, they have a page on their site about seo which is how your site gets found out, just the basics obviously.

I never trust anyone to do my site for me, got done over once without realising and took months to get my money back (not yell for the record) eventually I won my case but it wasn't easy, they throw up a basic but ok site and then you can do the rest (usually) so you may as well do it yourself!!

There is threads on here about best free sites to use, and then also a page where you can get opinions once you have done it :)

No website just a full heavy weight listing :)

I have them coming out we'd to talk to me, is it really worth it? Did you try free listing first or just go straight in with paid?

Went with paid as I wanted the salon at the top of yell.com and its been brill! Have a look of I like chick x

thank you so much everyone! from reading other posts i might purchase a domain name from 123reg and then a free website from weebly - this seems to be the most popular!! thanks again everyone!!

£30-50 a month hosting is outrageous!

Who the hell is paying this amount? Blue was saying he pays that for his yell advertising listing x

Yeah I pay £40.01 for tell every month :) it's easily paid for itself x

Hi,
I find Wordpress quite good and fairly interactive. You may need someone to do the initial setup (if you don't have the time) but the editing is quite easy. I think getting a hosting service is worthwhile.

I thought they were expensive - I have a website and they quoted me a lot to redo it, and it was for a minimum of 12 months. I asked of I owned it after 12 months and they said 'no, you never own it'!!! I think there are people on here who can probably do you a site a lot cheaper - I even met a great guy last week who said his sites start at £200. He charges a really minimum amount for hosting as well - some people charge £30 per month for hosting. I currently pay £30 per year!!!

Yeah someone told me £30 for the year, but I thought they were joking as some people charge crazy amounts! can I ask where? :green:

Latest posts

Back