Is is just me or is anyone else hating being back at work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmsue

Reaction score
We were a clean beauty salon anyway but my God, it is certainly taking longer than 15 minutes in between clients, its not profitable, the visor constantly steams up and its really hot under there with the visor and mask. I'm working on my own one in one out system as my colleague is shielding. I was just curious if anyone else is struggling. #baddaytoday

So hating it right now

Yep - not enjoying being back at all!

Firstly, the clients ‘Home made’ masks are awful!
Not only are the bulky - they are either way too big - or far too small to be effective!
They are also soooo thick, I have to turn the dryer off in order to hear what they are saying - so each service is taking longer than it should.
They also do not want or expect to pay more for their service - even though their roots are takings twice the amount of product and their hair is 3 times as long!
And finally you are expected to listen intently to their ‘Covid Conversations’ as they have been saving them up - just for you - for the last 3 months.......
I’m exhausted already

I really hate it, I actually dread going to work now & I am a sobbing wreck before & after work. So much so i’m seriously thinking of telling everyone i’m done & packing up. It was hard being mobile before but 20 x harder now.
A job that I have nurtured for the past 10 years & have spent so much money getting myself covid ready holds no joy for me anymore :cry:

I really hate it, I actually dread going to work now & I am a sobbing wreck before & after work. So much so i’m seriously thinking of telling everyone i’m done & packing up. It was hard being mobile before but 20 x harder now.
A job that I have nurtured for the past 10 years & have spent so much money getting myself covid ready holds no joy for me anymore :cry:

That's heartbreaking to hear and I'm so sad for you :( I was hoping you had a few days under your belt and were feeling more confident.

Is there anything specific causing you issues? Anything we can talk/work/debate out for you?

I feel the same, hate getting home and having to work for another 2-3 hrs :(

Yep - not enjoying being back at all!

Firstly, the clients ‘Home made’ masks are awful!
Not only are the bulky - they are either way too big - or far too small to be effective!
They are also soooo thick, I have to turn the dryer off in order to hear what they are saying - so each service is taking longer than it should.
They also do not want or expect to pay more for their service - even though their roots are takings twice the amount of product and their hair is 3 times as long!
And finally you are expected to listen intently to their ‘Covid Conversations’ as they have been saving them up - just for you - for the last 3 months.......
I’m exhausted already

Can you make it part of your service conditions that they wear a mask you provide at the cost of £1? Be brutally honest if necessary and say that clients have been arriving in unsuitable masks so an acceptable one will now be provided.

Don't turn the dryer off for conversation, pretend you didn't hear, don’t make eye contact and look intent on your work. They'll stop talking :p

I'm assuming you're warning everyone that their service may be more expensive due to the extra work, time and products, do it by message before if you struggle with face to face. Something alongbthe lines of 'remember I'm contactless payments only at the momoment, your colour/cut/whatever will be £××, looking forward to seeing you' - they can get their heads around it before they come ;)

That's heartbreaking to hear and I'm so sad for you :( I was hoping you had a few days under your belt and were feeling more confident.

Is there anything specific causing you issues? Anything we can talk/work/debate out for you?
Thanks Trinity for your support & i’m sorry to hear in your posts on the other threads that you are also struggling.
I don’t know where to start, I just feel fed up with it all. I know we’re all in the same boat but i’ve always seemed to struggle with change in any job i’ve done. I don’t know if it’s because I wasn’t ready mentally to come back to work or the fact it’s just been a really busy few days. Everyone has been lovely & it has been great to see them again but I find myself wanting to get the hell out of there!! I also suffer with pain anyway & it’s flared up ten fold now with all the extra work & I can’t move about so easily so that’s adding to the list.
What a moaning myrtle!!

Can you make it part of your service conditions that they wear a mask you provide at the cost of £1? Be brutally honest if necessary and say that clients have been arriving in unsuitable masks so an acceptable one will now be provided.

Don't turn the dryer off for conversation, pretend you didn't hear, don’t make eye contact and look intent on your work. They'll stop talking :p

I'm assuming you're warning everyone that their service may be more expensive due to the extra work, time and products, do it by message before if you struggle with face to face. Something alongbthe lines of 'remember I'm contactless payments only at the momoment, your colour/cut/whatever will be £××, looking forward to seeing you' - they can get their heads around it before they come ;)
I have masks for sale - £1.50 - but they decline as they have their ‘lovely’ hand made ones!!!!
I feel bad telling them they are woefully inadequate as they are thrilled with themselves/ granny/ neighbour..... who ever ‘gifted’ them the thing!

I have masks for sale - £1.50 - but they decline as they have their ‘lovely’ hand made ones!!!!
I feel bad telling them they are woefully inadequate as they are thrilled with themselves/ granny/ neighbour..... who ever ‘gifted’ them the thing!

Big girl pants on my lovely, a virus that can kill indiscriminately is not a time to be worrying about feeling bad. If necessary use your insurance standards requirements or government guidelines as a reason, not that you need any other reason than 'I said so'. Tell them its a requirement, tell them it's to protect you so you can keep working. Lay the guilt on if necessary. This is potentially your life they are playing with, get tough, you can do it

Thanks Trinity for your support & i’m sorry to hear in your posts on the other threads that you are also struggling.
I don’t know where to start, I just feel fed up with it all. I know we’re all in the same boat but i’ve always seemed to struggle with change in any job i’ve done. I don’t know if it’s because I wasn’t ready mentally to come back to work or the fact it’s just been a really busy few days. Everyone has been lovely & it has been great to see them again but I find myself wanting to get the hell out of there!! I also suffer with pain anyway & it’s flared up ten fold now with all the extra work & I can’t move about so easily so that’s adding to the list.
What a moaning myrtle!!

I'm so with you on the mentally not ready thing. I think I'd readied myself for end of July/beginning of August, to be given less than 3 days notice was not pleasant. That's partly why I delayed my opening for a week, and I'm soft opening, slowly and steadily.

Your pain is flaring because of the stress too isn't it. Make sure you are taking care of yourself, you can't work if you're sick. Hope you get some rest over the weekend xx

I'm so with you on the mentally not ready thing. I think I'd readied myself for end of July/beginning of August, to be given less than 3 days notice was not pleasant. That's partly why I delayed my opening for a week, and I'm soft opening, slowly and steadily.

Your pain is flaring because of the stress too isn't it. Make sure you are taking care of yourself, you can't work if you're sick. Hope you get some rest over the weekend xx
Same here, I think I went back way too early, kind of pressured into it.
Sadly I decided to cancel clients today as I woke up feeling so sick & churny & a quivering wreck. After a long, emotional talk with family, I think I have decided this is not for me at the moment. It’s affecting my health emotionally & physically, and as much as I really don’t want to let clients down, if it’s ruining my health I don’t see any other way around it.
I just hope clients will understand, I don’t expect them to wait for me to return but at least I hope we can part on good terms.
I feel if I could find a permanent set up I would feel more comfortable but don’t really want a salon as such & wouldn’t be able to afford it as rents as sky high in the area I live. A nice little area at home would be great but nowhere to go.
Heads all over the place & I just need to get in a better frame of mind.

For how we need it to work they can be fine hand made. Basically it only needs to capture the moisture part of our breath and theirs. Cotton ones are typically fine. In fact I beleive a few government bodies have released tutorials on hand making them. I just thought I would let people know just in case they are concerned about the same thing. Home made ones are better then nothing.

Sadly I decided to cancel clients today as I woke up feeling so sick & churny & a quivering wreck. After a long, emotional talk with family, I think I have decided this is not for me at the moment. It’s affecting my health emotionally & physically, and as much as I really don’t want to let clients down, if it’s ruining my health I don’t see any other way around it.
I just hope clients will understand, I don’t expect them to wait for me to return but at least I hope we can part on good terms.
I feel if I could find a permanent set up I would feel more comfortable but don’t really want a salon as such & wouldn’t be able to afford it as rents as sky high in the area I live. A nice little area at home would be great but nowhere to go.

I've 'liked' this post, not because I'm happy you're closing but because I'm happy you are putting your health and wellbeing first. You gave it a go, did everything that was expected and more and the conclusion is its not the right time. That takes strength, I'm so pleased your family are supporting you too.

Keep talking to us, even if it's just to vent and try to sort your thoughts, your experience will help someone else on here too xx

I've 'liked' this post, not because I'm happy you're closing but because I'm happy you are putting your health and wellbeing first. You gave it a go, did everything that was expected and more and the conclusion is its not the right time. That takes strength, I'm so pleased your family are supporting you too.

Keep talking to us, even if it's just to vent and try to sort your thoughts, your experience will help someone else on here too xx
Thankyou, i’m sure I’ll be back in whatever form xx

I have been reading your posts and Trinity's too and feel for you both. It is very frightening and we do have an enormous amount of negative thoughts running around in our heads.
Yes , we wanted to re-open but to a better world than that which we now face..
I had a chat with my mum today and she helped me with my emotional state. I have been so full of worry too!

Have a rest, and take your time in thinking about your future. You are very brave to do what you by going into multiple homes day after day where the environment cannot be controlled! Put yourself first...they do!
Rooting for you and all of us worried therapists.

Hope you are feeling better, you have to do what’s right for you and I’m sure it’ll all work out.
I’m starting back on Monday and I’m really nervous but will have to see how it goes.
I haven’t even been to a shop yet so it’s a massive step, I don’t think clients have any idea of the mental impact.
I want to say thank you as you’ve always given me great advice and I so appreciate this group as it’s made me feel I’m not alone, all my therapist friends have been so keen to get back to work and haven’t really been phased at all.
I wish you all the best for your future xx

I have been reading your posts and Trinity's too and feel for you both. It is very frightening and we do have an enormous amount of negative thoughts running around in our heads.
Yes , we wanted to re-open but to a better world than that which we now face..
I had a chat with my mum today and she helped me with my emotional state. I have been so full of worry too!

Have a rest, and take your time in thinking about your future. You are very brave to do what you by going into multiple homes day after day where the environment cannot be controlled! Put yourself first...they do!
Rooting for you and all of us worried therapists.
Thankyou. It is only natural to be worried & I think it’s so important to talk to family, the people who know us best because ultimately they will be there no matter what.
I have had such a positive response from the clients I have contacted so far, they completely understand & are willing to wait for however long it takes for me to feel comfortable to return which makes me feel so much better.
Good luck to you!

Hope you are feeling better, you have to do what’s right for you and I’m sure it’ll all work out.
I’m starting back on Monday and I’m really nervous but will have to see how it goes.
I haven’t even been to a shop yet so it’s a massive step, I don’t think clients have any idea of the mental impact.
I want to say thank you as you’ve always given me great advice and I so appreciate this group as it’s made me feel I’m not alone, all my therapist friends have been so keen to get back to work and haven’t really been phased at all.
I wish you all the best for your future xx
Good luck for Monday lovely! Take your time & again, do what is comfortable for you in your working day.
And I agree with you, this forum has been a massive help in these trying, unprecedented times. You really feel the love & support of everyone. Being self employed & not having colleagues to help you or talk through things with is tough but being here, we’re all I the same boat & can hopefully get through it all together.
Good luck to everyone who have already started work & to those starting soon. Xx

For how we need it to work they can be fine hand made. Basically it only needs to capture the moisture part of our breath and theirs. Cotton ones are typically fine. In fact I beleive a few government bodies have released tutorials on hand making them. I just thought I would let people know just in case they are concerned about the same thing. Home made ones are better then nothing.
I think you have misunderstood the issue I have with the home made masks
It’s not that I think they are not ‘catching’ the droplets.
The problem for me is that some are not covering the nose fully and then there are those that are almost covering the entire face!
Ad a hairdresser trying to suit a hairstyle to a face - that is a problem
Most are so thick, it’s hard to hear what the client is trying to say to you as their voice becomes so muffled....
Also as a hairdresser I need to be able to work around the ears.... the elastic loop of a disposable is not a problem whereas the thick fabric, or knotted ‘knicker elastic’ ones are!

Latest posts

Back