Is it OK to text at the dinner table or while at a restaurant?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it's rude, much as I would love to do it sometimes, but I know I will get told off by my family, so I don't.

It depends what you are doing with your phone I think... if you are catching up with friends for dinner and spend all night texting your husband, I don't see the point in it. If I'm with my friends or my husband and my phone rings I answer it. Unfortunately having quite a few businesses I don't have the luxury of leaving my phone at home or turning it off to eat. ..I don't even turn it off when I sleep! If it offends others then so be it. ... my staff and clients are far more important than a plate of food. They are the ones that allow me to be able to eat in fine restaurants!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes I think it is rude if it's excessive, but what I would find more rude is my companions being more interested in what the other diners are doing. ;)

Maybe its just the natral evolution of social settings . Here in the states almost every food place has free wifi .
People at tables on Facebook or what ever ,
We went to a friends house for dinner ,they are an upper class with teenagers .

They do not have tv in the dining room or in bed rooms (blaring tvs are quite normal in almost every room of every house theese days) we wear talking about it the mum was saying she can't stand it and likes everyone to be there , not pre occupied when eating together ,

But when we wear actually eating every one of them sent and received and wear discussing there texts lol

My boyfriend and I go out for dinner maybe once a week and he gets very upset with me if I email or text clients. I say to him, "these clients texting me are why I can afford to be here eating in a restaurant". He does understand but he doesn't like it much.

However, I will point out that it isn't constant texting/emailing (only when necessary and after we have ordered). Once the food has arrived, my phone goes off and into my handbag until we get home. It's no more than 10 mins of replying to work things.

I do think it's incredibly bad manners to text/call/browse Facebook whilst everyone's eating... And even worse to actually have your phone next to your cutlery (Jamie's cousin does this and it drives me barmy)!

What REALLY gets me is when you go to someone's house for dinner and they clear the plates before everyone's finished. I know this isn't about phones at the table but it's about table manners! I'm a really slow eater and to be the last one sitting with half a plate of food whilst everyone else has an empty placemat in front of them is really quite embarrassing :( this view of manners doesn't come from my parents though (they are nightmares for doing it and I tell them off), I think it comes from being a waitress.

Xxx

My boyfriend and I go out for dinner maybe once a week and he gets very upset with me if I email or text clients. I say to him, "these clients texting me are why I can afford to be here eating in a restaurant". He does understand but he doesn't like it much.

However, I will point out that it isn't constant texting/emailing (only when necessary and after we have ordered). Once the food has arrived, my phone goes off and into my handbag until we get home. It's no more than 10 mins of replying to work things.

I do think it's incredibly bad manners to text/call/browse Facebook whilst everyone's eating... And even worse to actually have your phone next to your cutlery (Jamie's cousin does this and it drives me barmy)!

What REALLY gets me is when you go to someone's house for dinner and they clear the plates before everyone's finished. I know this isn't about phones at the table but it's about table manners! I'm a really slow eater and to be the last one sitting with half a plate of food whilst everyone else has an empty placemat in front of them is really quite embarrassing :( this view of manners doesn't come from my parents though (they are nightmares for doing it and I tell them off), I think it comes from being a waitress.

Xxx

I agree with literally everything you've said!
I'll use my phone before the food arrives, if I need to, then put it away.
I'm also a slow eater and have had my curry dish taken away whilst still eating at an Indian restaurant, many times I've had people speak on everyone's behalf that people have finished (when I wasn't!) to collect plates etc. and even had people start firing confetti cannons (for a birthday meal) when I hadn't done but had to stop because loads of confetti landed in my dinner :/

Though more on phones... It bugs me more when during a meal people take calls but don't even excuse themselves, just sit there talking away! At least texting can be more discreet. X

Yes I think it is rude if it's excessive, but what I would find more rude is my companions being more interested in what the other diners are doing. ;)

Surely it's human nature to notice things! It happens momentarily!

I agree. I'm a people watcher and want to know what everyone is up to, what their relationship is, why they're there etc. and then I'll discuss it with my husband while my phone sits in my bag which I will check every half hour just incase the babysitter calls to say something's wrong.

Of course it is, but to know what others are doing for the whole evening, enough to make a judgement of them is too much for me. :lol:

We don't eat out very often, so for us it's a special occasion. I think my partner would be upset to think that he didn't have my full attention during this time.

I actually find that it's much easier to talk whilst out because there is no distraction from the radio, tv, phone or doorbell. Sometimes you just need a little time out from "life" and for me that includes the phone. But then I clearly remember a time without mobile phones, showing my age... ooops!

Of course it is, but to know what others are doing for the whole evening, enough to make a judgement of them is too much for me. :lol:

Mmm who said anything about the whole evening? Are you making a judgement now?

Reading the words 'entire' and 'constantly' in this thread helped me form my opinion. :)

Reading the words 'entire' and 'constantly' in this thread helped me form my opinion. :)

Thank you for your interest in my thread.

I thought the word "momentarily" was used?

The odd text here and there I don't mind. Constantly using it, yes I do find that unacceptable. I like to sometimes 'check in' to places on fb and share pictures of my companion and I. Nice memories to look back on :)

Touching on the other points in the thread, I would be pretty miffed if my dinner companion was spending time watching other people, passing judgement on them and interfering in other people's evening's. I find that quite rude. Personally catching up on what my companion has been doing and vice versa is much more interesting than what other strangers are doing.

Different strokes for different folks and we're all quite welcome to our own opinions. What I find rude and unacceptable may not be the same as the next :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

The odd text here and there I don't mind. Constantly using it, yes I do find that unacceptable. I like to sometimes 'check in' to places on fb and share pictures of my companion and I. Nice memories to look back on :)

Touching on the other points in the thread, I would be pretty miffed if my dinner companion was spending time watching other people, passing judgement on them and interfering in other people's evening's. I find that quite rude. Personally catching up on what they've been doing and vice versa is much more interesting than what other strangers are doing.

Different strokes for different folks and we're all quite welcome to our own opinions. What I find rude and unacceptable may not be the same as the next :)

I'm surprised at your second paragraph happyfeet! It certainly bears no reflection on my evening whatsoever! Hoping this won't be another thread heading for closure!

Well I can't stand the Facebook posers. "Look at me everyone, I'm in a restaurant with my friends having a great time while you're maybe depressed, broke or heartbroken at home. bet you wish you were me! Hope you're all looking at what you're missing!"

I had a friend who posted updates of herself in restaurants in Paris, outside the Louis Vitton (can't spell) headquarters with tonnes of shopping bags, showing off so we all knew how rich she was. I only recognised how sad she was to be even thinking about Facebook while there rather than soaking up the atmosphere.

I find that the company around you in a restaurant helps set the scene. Other diners always look up when we sit down at the next table and usually give an acknowledging smile. I think it's rude if you don't.

But I take your comments on board Happy feet and will no longer hand out questionnaires to the other diners while I'm out and interfere on their evening.

I'm surprised at your second paragraph happyfeet! It certainly bears no reflection on my evening whatsoever! Hoping this won't be another thread heading for closure!

Ok I think you're perhaps taking this too personally. I'm out.

Well I can't stand the Facebook posers. "Look at me everyone, I'm in a restaurant with my friends having a great time while you're maybe depressed, broke or heartbroken at home. bet you wish you were me! Hope you're all looking at what you're missing!"

I had a friend who posted updates of herself in restaurants in Paris, outside the Louis Vitton (can't spell) headquarters with tonnes of shopping bags, showing off so we all knew how rich she was. I only recognised how sad she was to be even thinking about Facebook while there rather than soaking up the atmosphere.

But I take your comments on board Happy feet and will no longer hand out questionnaires to the other diners while I'm out and interfere on their evening.

I think you'll find that my last paragraph actually kind of summed up my feelings. There's no right or wrong, you think something is acceptable I don't and vice versa.

As said I'm out of this conversation

What irritates me more than anyone on their phone is the constant....." Is everything OK with your meal" from 8 different staff members at 2 minute intervals throughout the evening ... unfortunately after about an hour of this constant and an unwelcome distraction - I usually reply along the lines of "If there was something wrong with my meal - you would be the first to hear about it!" ...and when they ask if I would like to leave a tip I generally say "of course.....stop asking me if everything is OK with my meal" ...that's the only tip they get from me!

Latest posts

Back