Is it OK to text at the dinner table or while at a restaurant?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like it and think it's very rude.

In our house no phones are allowed when we eat dinner and the telly is off. When me and hubby go out for dinner our phones are out of sight as it's the only time we have to ourselves and to spend quality time together. We also have a phone free night too.
Where we will turn our phones onto plane mode so we don't get anything come through.

I do have a friend who is always on her phone and never puts it down. She ends up getting so consumed in what she is doing be it texting , wassapp or dating website's she has no idea what we are talking about.
I have started to distance myself from her, as there is only so much repeating you can do.

Leely x

No its not. Me & my other half rarely get out just us so we put our phones out of sight. If he pops to the loo or bar then I check to make sure theres nothing from the babysitter & vice versa. We also have a no phones policy on holiday even if there is free wifi. People look at us like we're crazy but we consider holidays our time for us as a family not facebook/whatever time. We made an exception this year and had one phone on in the room as we are selling the house and had viewings etc while we were away but the phone was for calls only. And my phone acted as just a camera.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

If I am out for a meal with anyone I expect to be the one conversing with them, and would feel quite offended if they were taking calls or texting someone else.

This video makes you really think how much you are really excluding people when you are constantly on your phone.....quite shocking really.
Those of you who still like to text or phone at the dinner table should watch it...or show it to someone who does ;)
After I Saw This, I Put Down My Phone And Didn

This is one of my pet hates! I agree that having your phone to hand for emergency calls is completely acceptable but texting while at a table is SO rude.

My 14 year old son tries to do this all the time and I go crazy. There is a time and place for everything and in company at a table is wrong.

To be honest I went out for few drinks an food yesterday and used my phone to let my partner know what's to tea so he could get things ready, out the freezer to defrost etc and also was arranging what time to be picked up as my partner didn't know, I think it can be rude but when foods on table phones away and that's that xx

The odd text (or instagramming pics of your dinner - we're vegans, we do that!) is ok. But sitting all night texting and surfing the net is not ok.

It's rude, ignorant and immature.

Last edited:
Ok I'll do one better, it's just bloody bad mannered;-)

Ok I'll do one better, it's just bloody bad mannered;-)

I don't want to be Ageist here but isn't this maybe a generational thing?
When I was a teenager I had to wait until after 6pm (off peak and cheaper) and hope the party line wasn't already using the phone before I was allowed to make a call and my mother would time me. To this day I don't chat on the phone I just say what needs said and hang up. Trust me you don't want to know all the rules about table manners and asking if I could please be excused from the table when I had cleared my plate!
However no matter how things change it should still be the person you are with that gets your complete attention and not your phone.

Last edited:
So far we all seem to agree that it's appalling manners to get your phone out and use it at a table, but we all know loads of people do it. I'm wondering why all those that feel it's perfectly ok are being so quiet?
I've had it done to me, and feel that it's terrible manners.

So far we all seem to agree that it's appalling manners to get your phone out and use it at a table, but we all know loads of people do it. I'm wondering why all those that feel it's perfectly ok are being so quiet?
I've had it done to me, and feel that it's terrible manners.

I only do it if I know it needs to be quickly said like important date or like ill be out at 2 if you don't mind picking me up then I think that's fine but having a full conversation I don't agree with, it depends where I am though if I'm home an eating dinner watching tv on the sofa an foods to hot for example ill quickly reply while it cools, if I'm in a restaurant I may snapchat a pic of my meal if someone was meant to be there etc. But other then that I don't agree. Xx

No way its completely not needed, its just bad manners. The only time my phone is ever at the dinner table is if I'm waiting for a call, have photos to show the rest of the family or if I'm going out to do clients because I check the time on my phone. But absolutely no texting, playing games, checking facebook etc whilst eating dinner unless I'm on my own!

The odd text (or instagramming pics of your dinner - we're vegans, we do that!) is ok. But sitting all night texting and surfing the net is not ok.

There where a couple who were doing this in a restaurant in the hotel I was staying in last month. The waiter came over and asked her why she was doing this? Her reply "so i can show my followers, what I'm eating" he then asked her do you take pics of everything you do for your followers. x

Leely x

This is really hypocritical but tonight I'm taking the kids and mother in law out for dinner and I'm going to be texting quite a bit. Thing is, it's an assignment I'm on, I'm doing a mystery dinner visit and its the only way I can take notes discreetly without the staff knowing I'm a secret shopper. :suprised:

However, my kids and mother in law know what's going on and won't mind. The MIL better not mind as she's getting a free meal out!

Just maybe, when you're in a restaurant and you see people texting, they might be taking notes. I sometimes have to take pics of the meals too so saying its to show your "followers" could just be an excuse. :wink2:

This is really hypocritical but tonight I'm taking the kids and mother in law out for dinner and I'm going to be texting quite a bit. Thing is, it's an assignment I'm on, I'm doing a mystery dinner visit and its the only way I can take notes discreetly without the staff knowing I'm a secret shopper. :suprised:

However, my kids and mother in law know what's going on and won't mind. The MIL better not mind as she's getting a free meal out!

Just maybe, when you're in a restaurant and you see people texting, they might be taking notes. I sometimes have to take pics of the meals too so saying its to show your "followers" could just be an excuse. :wink2:

I'd love to be a mystery shopper it seems interesting haha x

I don't want to be Ageist here but isn't this maybe a generational thing?
When I was a teenager I had to wait until after 6pm (off peak and cheaper) and hope the party line wasn't already using the phone before I was allowed to make a call Andy mother would time me. To this day I don't chat on the phone I just say what needs said and hang up. Trust me you don't want to know all the rules about table manners and asking if I could please be excused from the table when I had cleared my plate!
However no matter how things change it should still be the person you are with that gets your complete attention and not your phone.

I don't think it is an ageist thing at all but simply courteous and good manners. My mum instilled good manners in me and they have never done me any harm and My hubby and I try our best to instil these values in our children. Heck, my hubby spent his entire school education at boarding school where manners were upheld come what may :Scared: .

We had to ask to use the phone and were not allowed to be too long, but then in those days back in Rhodesia, phone calls were quite expensive. If the phone rang during dinner... and there was no voicemail service or answer phone or dial back... then it was tough luck. Never did us any harm.

Our children 19 and 10 years are both expected to excuse themselves before they can leave the table and on another note, our girls are expected to stand and greet when a guest/adult enters our home. I have a pet peeve about children who sit glued to the TV or iPod or Phone or Wii and not even acknowledge your presence.

Yes I am a dragon mother :wink2:

Last edited:
I don't think it is an ageist thing at all but simply courteous and good manners. My mum instilled good manners in me and they have never done me any harm and My hubby and I try our best to instil these values in our children. Heck, my hubby spent his entire school education at boarding school where manners were upheld come what may :Scared: .

We had to ask to use the phone and were not allowed to be too long, but then in those days back in Rhodesia, phone calls were quite expensive. If the phone rang during dinner... and there was no voicemail service or answer phone or dial back... then it was tough luck. Never did us any harm.

Our children 19 and 9 years are both expected to excuse themselves before they can leave the table and on another note, our girls are expected to stand and greet when a guest/adult enters our home. I have a pet peeve about children who sit glued to the TV or iPod or Phone or Wii and not even acknowledge your presence.

Yes I am a dragon mother :wink2:

Aaah....Mrs C I have missed you :Love:

There where a couple who were doing this in a restaurant in the hotel I was staying in last month. The waiter came over and asked her why she was doing this? Her reply "so i can show my followers, what I'm eating" he then asked her do you take pics of everything you do for your followers. x

Leely x

Haha. Me and a couple of my friends are food bloggers so we always take food pics.

Latest posts

Back