Is it worth investing in normal nail polishes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapphire.Nails

Reaction score
I'm a newly qualified nail technician and was originally hoping to offer shellac as my only polish. However, I feel my l&p skills are almost at a decent standard so will soon be offering those too. Would it be worth investing in a brand of normal nail polish for these? Or should I stick to shellac? Thanks in advance!

I only work on the natural nail, and offer shellac and regular varnishes, many of which now need replacing, but am now looking at the new Vinylux from CND. Think they will be great for regular varnish users!

Thanks for your reply :) I have to admit if I do get normal polishes these will be top of my list! How many do you think I should get, just starting out? Wish money wasn't an option lol.

Bump. Are normal nail polishes still going strong?

I would hold off for vinylux if I were you! My huge collection of polishes have been rendered obsolete due to the popularity of shellac- vinylux will change this!

I've been wearing Vinylux for 2 days now. I do have some wear on my right index and thumb but that is because I didn't have any plastic backed pads for polish removal on my clients today. Regular nail polish starts chipping on me as soon as I'm done applying it. So far, Vinylux is staying! I would purchase the Vinylux polish before I purchase any other polish!

I would probably start out with a handful of colours, maybe matching your most popular Shellacs. There is often a starter kit which is always a good deal, but I think I may hold off until I can get to Ellisons to have a look - I have bought so many wrong coloured varnishes from choosing them on paper!!! Hope that helps x

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate them! Brilliant advice and stops me feeling overwhelmed whilst building up my supplies! Thank you very much :) x

I would definitely say don't go mad. I have been doing Shellac for over 2 years and I still only have a (large) handful of Shellac colours. You can find that the client will sit there umming and aaahring over 2 reds that are so blinking similar, if you have them. There are certain colours that I've been asked for, so getting them in is next on my list! I have a big collection of varnishes, and can guarantee that the same few will be used time and time again. My Vinylux order will be done carefully!!! It can be a bit mind boggling! Good luck x

You can find that the client will sit there umming and aaahring over 2 reds that are so blinking similar[/QUOTE]

Had to laugh this is so true x

Sent from my GT-S5570 using SalonGeek

I would definitely say don't go mad. I have been doing Shellac for over 2 years and I still only have a (large) handful of Shellac colours. You can find that the client will sit there umming and aaahring over 2 reds that are so blinking similar, if you have them. There are certain colours that I've been asked for, so getting them in is next on my list! I have a big collection of varnishes, and can guarantee that the same few will be used time and time again. My Vinylux order will be done carefully!!! It can be a bit mind boggling! Good luck x

Thanks Squidgernetball! I only have a few colours so far and was really tempted to make a huge order of shellac. I've said I'm more than happy to order any colour in for my clients but maybe I should over emphasise this to them.

I think I need to think about all of my products carefully. It's so easy to get carried away when trying to build up supplies.

Latest posts

Back