Is there life after extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spangley

Reaction score
Hi all (I tired posting in the consumer section, but haven't had any response)

I'm after some advice re weaning off extensions.

To give a bit of background.

I first tried Balmain extensions and didn't like them. I kept them in for 3 months then had them taken out. They left my hair feeling much finer, especially on the ends. After this I decided to try and grow my own hair, but it was just really, really fine and wispy on the ends. I got fed up and did a lot of research into the best extensions and came up with Great Lengths.

I had Great Lengths fitted and immediately LOVED them. So much better than my previous experience. However I have got myself into a bit of a catch 22 situation with them. I have had them in now for about a year and have them redone every 3-4 months. I have them taken out on a friday and back in on Saturday morning and Friday night I can hardly look at my own hair and can't wait for them to go back in.

This is the problem. My own hair is getting finer and finer, it's not just that I am used to the feeling of the extensions, it is definitely finer. And I am getting worried now about my hair and having any left at all. Hence the question about how to wean off them.

I have just had this new set fitted this weekend and I know that by the time these are ready to come out I really need to let my own hair recover. Question is what to do. My extensionist suggested having less in and shorter and do it gradually. Or should I just go cold turkey? I'm not sure I could, but then by still having some in that hair is not recovering. will the rest of my hair recover whilst still having some extensions in? I'm in a right state about it. I remember feeling like this after I had them out last time, then as soon as I get them back in I forget about how bad my own hair is.

I have currently got 75 stands of 12 inch, and she cuts them in half.

Help please. Has anyone else been through this? I really wish I had never started with them.

Ok, first look at the possibilities of anything else that could be making your hair finer, are you on any medication? Any hormonal problems such as PCOS? Any auto-immune illnesses? A lot of these things can contribute to hair loss or causing the follicle to shrink in size causing hair to grow thinner.

If none of the above apply then maybe you could either get some thin clip ins made and vow to only wear them for special occasions or do as your stylist says and gradually go down say 10 bonds every time they are fitted, I would personally suggest the clip ins because it will give you the chance to give your scalp a nice massage a few times a week to promote growth. Try to find ways to style that don't involve heat tools and keep your hair nourished and gradually you will start to love your own hair :)

Thank you. I am not aware of any reason why my hair should be thinner. Possibly could be hormones, as I'm 45. It is OK on the top, just seems the longer it gets the finer it gets towards the ends.

Hi hun. I'm professional hair stylist and extensionist. I would advise after your removal to have a trim, also if you like to wear your hair up?... This will help a lot. After a month or two, you'll then have your hair down and it does appear a lot healthier, and slightly longer. Wearing hair up also means you won't be adding more damage by straightening it every day if you do. Hope this helps xx

Thanks Katie. So you would advice just have them out altogether next time rather than wean off them?

Does anyone have any advice on supplements to take or products to use?

I have heard Evening Primrose Oil can help, also Viacutin as supplements. I have used Nioxin shampoo in the past but didn't really notice a difference.

I've always recommended to my clients if they are thinking of having them out do it gradually!! Take a row or 2 out regularly and then it won't be such a massive shock xx

I suggest to stop hun. You'll be fine. Try out different hair up styles on yourself. Honestly it works. And just have extensions in future for special occasions only. I recommend 3 months breaks in between fittings to all my clients. Constant wear will thin hair out. There is an amazing shampoo called plantur which stimulates scalp and hair growth. It's green bottle you can purchase from boots. It's amazing for over 40 also. Google it and read up. My clients use it and swear by it. Good luck x

Thanks Katie. So you would advice just have them out altogether next time rather than wean off them?

Does anyone have any advice on supplements to take or products to use?

I have heard Evening Primrose Oil can help, also Viacutin as supplements. I have used Nioxin shampoo in the past but didn't really notice a difference.

Did you use the scalp revitaliser and treatment with it? Its over time that nioxin works, it wont make your hair any thicker but stop it from getting any thinner.

How long is your hair now? Sounds like it might be longe than your folicles can support? Maybe a shorter style would be more advisable

Yes I think with hindsight I should have had a break inbetween having the extensions in.

With the Nioxin I bought the set with shampoo, conditioner and scalp treatment. I used it for about 3 to 4 months. I know I bought two lots of it.

My hair currently has 12 inch extensions in. I had 16 inch ones in to start with and went down to 12 inch time before last. My own hair has grown quite a bit, but it's so very very fine. I have recently grown out my fringe and this hair looks really healthy, so I am hopeful I get bet my own hair back to full health with a bit of TLC. I know I will never naturally have the lovely long hair I so love.

Yes I think with hindsight I should have had a break inbetween having the extensions in.

With the Nioxin I bought the set with shampoo, conditioner and scalp treatment. I used it for about 3 to 4 months. I know I bought two lots of it.

My hair currently has 12 inch extensions in. I had 16 inch ones in to start with and went down to 12 inch time before last. My own hair has grown quite a bit, but it's so very very fine. I have recently grown out my fringe and this hair looks really healthy, so I am hopeful I get bet my own hair back to full health with a bit of TLC. I know I will never naturally have the lovely long hair I so love.

Yeah, its time to look at some shorter styles. Do you have your hair coloured or highlighted?

You could also try the nioxin repair mask, it smells heavenly and doesnt weigh the hair down one bit! x

Some supplements I like as do some of my clients:

Phyto Hair pills. From the French brand Phyto
Viviscal
Hair Maxx by Ultrax Labs

They aren't miracle workers in that your hair will grown an inch in a week, but over time they really do help.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

Viviscal is what I was thinking of! Viacutin is what I give my dog!!!! haha

Sorry Jamiereid meant to answer your question. Yes I have my hair coloured. Semi permanent. I have roots only done every 6 weeks, and have a full head about every 4th time or so. When it looks like it needs doing.

Sorry Jamiereid meant to answer your question. Yes I have my hair coloured. Semi permanent. I have roots only done every 6 weeks, and have a full head about every 4th time or so. When it looks like it needs doing.

Ok so if it's only semi permanent shouldn't be doing any damage. Obviously I can't see your hair but from the sounds of it I think you would be better off with shorter hair.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but that's my professional opinion and I think your hair would look thicker, healthier and more stylish if it was in a strong shape above your shoulders.

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back