Is this even allowed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magicmerlot

Reaction score
Hi all, paid a visit to Wrexham yesterday and popped into one of the indoor markets for the first time in years and I was gob smacked to find out the make up stall was selling Majirel and Kolestron permanent colours. To the public. I decided to see how easy it was to buy a colour; very easy. The stall holder recommended majicontrast with 9% for a vibrant on the scalp colour. I told her what she was selling was for off the scalp application, she got defensive and said how do you know? I told her I'm a qualified hairdresser and you shouldn't be selling this to randoms, especially when you don't have a clue yourself. Anyway, she started swearing at me got the security guard to march me out of there.

I was aware of that Scott Cornwall colour b4 rubbish and all the other imitators (Jo Bazz etc) being sold over the counter but this is the first time I've seen pro colours being sold like this. Is it even legal? What's the come back on them if someone they've sold to effs up their scalp and hair? Who is selling them this stuff in the first place?

I actually spoke to our rep at my old salon about this. She told me that what happens is a version of the company from overseas sells it to retailers. So say if there is a Majirel company in America (just an example), they can legally sell it to our retailers in Australia without breaching any laws. That's why our super markets can even stock salon products. It's a problem that they are aware of but how do you stop it?

I went into a salon today and bought some products. They didn't even check if I was in the industry. Sure I'm deferred and looking for a new school (Or more so trying to gain a scholarship). But I was literally in tracksuit pants. I did not look like a professional at all. At least hair house ware house (Sort of our version of sally's) doesn't sell the high end brands to clients (tough I heard of one store selling Olaplex to clients).

I have a card to prove I'm in the industry but it's never been asked for. One supply store does give a 20% discount to people who are in the industry though. But all the supply stores care about is money. Not whether its hurting the industry or not.

/rant over.

p.s. I actually like Jobaz. I can't find Scott Cornwall. But I use jobaz to remove colour build up on people. For instance, My mother was chocolate and wanted to go grey. She's about 50% and so I faded her out to a level 9 with jobaz to blend it. I'd rather do that then bleach coloured hair. But I don't think I would use it in a salon as it is very hit and miss and the results aren't drastic. It's usually just good to created a clean canvas.

It got me so mad! I trained and educated myself for years to be able to use pro stuff!
I've had a few clients in the past use the otc colour reducers (hate hate hate them) and I've been called on to correct the colour correction; pay cheap pay twice I say.. Scott Cornwall's stuff is just awful you should be thankful you've never heard of it.

It got me so mad! I trained and educated myself for years to be able to use pro stuff!
I've had a few clients in the past use the otc colour reducers (hate hate hate them) and I've been called on to correct the colour correction; pay cheap pay twice I say.. Scott Cornwall's stuff is just awful you should be thankful you've never heard of it.
What does the Scott Cornwell stuff even do? Does it "shrink the colour particles?" Or does it remove the colour but leave things patchy?

The Scott Cornwall stuff is a weaker version of the colour reducers we get from the hair & beauty supplier. I've never used it but from the messes I've seen I wouldn't say it's any good. On the odd occasion I do a colour correction I use the Goldwell one (it's what's available to me locally), do a search for colour b4 & you'll see what people think about it :)

The Scott Cornwall stuff is a weaker version of the colour reducers we get from the hair & beauty supplier. I've never used it but from the messes I've seen I wouldn't say it's any good. On the odd occasion I do a colour correction I use the Goldwell one (it's what's available to me locally), do a search for colour b4 & you'll see what people think about it :)

Ha sorry not sure what happened there, I'm a bit of a technophobe :) yes it does also leave the hair patchy & in bad condition

I've never had that issue with Jobaz. In fact I find it helps treatments penetrate deeper. I do find it removes a lot of moisture though. I'm looking at colour oops reviews. Some of these are interesting.

"Comment accidently got some dye in my hair when using friends comb and used loreal color remover and it bleached my hair I try to use this product to get my natural blonde back and it did not do nothing I heard it works for dark hair remover if you want to go back to your hair color"

"My hair is naturally jet black but I had dyed my hair brown previously with garnier nutrisse box dye. When my hair had started to grow, the black roots had grown all the way up to my jaw and there was a striking difference between the chestnut color i had dyed it and my natural hair. I decided then to dye my whole hair a soft black but to my dismay it looked a bit tacky so i decided to remove the hair color altogether. My expectation was that my hair turns back to its natural state with oops, meaning it would be a jet black up to my jawline if not all the way through the entire length of my hair. My hair is orange now. My roots that were once naturally black, theyre a ginger color now. I followed the instructions thoroughly, but even so, what could I have possibly done wrong to make my hair orange? The smell is awful too, and I'm starting to doubt the claim that there is no ammonia or bleach in this color remover, because definately there must be something to make my natural hair a completely different color that what it should be. How many indian women do you know that are natural gingers? Not many if at all..."

"I read the box when I got home after I asked the worker about it and he said it would but when I got home the box states
"Color Oops will not perform on direct color dyes like bright pinks, blues, greens, lavenders and purples"
I was able to return the item and get my money back but I wish the workers helped out more when asking them question about store products."

I wish people would stop trying for the cheap route. Why don't they go see a professional and stop wasting money?

Oh I'm with you there, if they just come to us it would save them in the end.

So so bad!! I don't know why you would use profesional colour to do your own hair, it must be so confusing if you don't know what you're doing

So so bad!! I don't know why you would use profesional colour to do your own hair, it must be so confusing if you don't know what you're doing
Good and hope they then decide that their hair is better done by a professional !!!!

Good and hope they then decide that their hair is better done by a professional !!!!

I get clients that touch up their roots in between with a box... I'm like WHY!!! what possessed you to think that was a good idea hahahahah.

And they moan to me that they've done it too dark... FOOLS!!!

My rep informed me that most of the professional products that you see in places you shouldn't, are usually defected or expired. I don't really know how they get there, but it always says "not guaranteed unless purchased in a salon". I did however notice that some brands I.e Goldwell are more diligent on their exclusivity and making sure they don't end up in weird places and retail shelves and I respect that. Whereas brands like L'Oréal and Schwarzkopf (even though I love them) already make "home use" brands so I believe that they don't really care as much as they say they do where it ends up cause it's about profit at the end of the day x

Unfortunately people are always going to be there for the money.

Latest posts

Back