XXL colour removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellishairbeauty

Reaction score
Urgh! Have a lovely client but he is extremely impatient and wants a new style/colour every month.
Went from natural base 3 and we meched majirel red with 30vol (meched it so gave the effect of full head) then he wanted a blue black. I advised against this because he likes to change his colour so much, this blue black it will be hard to remove.
He doest like being told no and put a XXL live blue back on behind my back.
Low and behold he wants a change.
Guess what he wants..... silver!
I said no at first and told him to grow the blue black out as i dont trust XXL and u went behind my back after i advised u but now he has asked me what to buy from sallys as he is gunna do it himself so feel like i have to do it now.
Ive sold him clarifying shampoo which he has used around 4 times.
He has sent me the following pic and this is the colour he wants.
Now i am going to have to remove the blue black (with the majicontrast shining through) with blondi rae colour remover (im going to do all tests on friday) but then i am going to have to lift to a 9 or 10 for the toner to take such a light silver.
Has anybody ever used a colour remover and then a bleach to lift either straight after or a few days/weeks later.
Can any body think of another way or acheiving this (this is my first XXL colour removal and first time using blondi rae as im trained in effasor but have heard great reviews about blondi rae). This gent is impatient and dont think he will want to wait a few days inbetween colour strippers.
Do you have any tips that arent on the 'tin' about blondi rae??
Ive looked through threads and can see that the rinse has to be for 5 mins but thats the same as effasor.... is it pretty similar to effasor?
Thanks
Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1383165542089.jpg
    1383165542089.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 640
In my opinion, I don't think there is any way you are going to achieve that colour on his hair.

Aside from the fact he is a natural level 3, you now have two of the hardest colours to remove, blue black and majicontrast red. Even if you managed to remove the black oxidative dyes, you will still have the bright red direct dyes from the majicontrast underneath.

If you have ever tried to bleach majicontrast before you will know it just go bright pink, and sulphur based colour reducers won't remove this type of dye either.

Always remember you are the professional! If he doesn't listen to your professional advice, then you can just do some strand tests to show him what will happen...

=)

Ah I think this is a no go one Hun. XXLive is a NIGHTMARE to remove esp if he has ever used a straighteners on his hair. XXL contains silicone when silicone is reheated to v high temps like a ghd it reforms it the hair and locks on even tighter to each strand.
What about shaving his hair like a 2 or 3 blade then bleach and tone it to the pic? Or ya could bleach and tone the regrowth give a good trim so that he would have silver with black tips.
HT :)

Thanks you have both said exactly what i have said to him! He is contemplating cutting his hair short to start afresh. I just know he is going to do it himself by buying bleach at sallys. I so wish sallys didnt sell to non professionals particularly for this reason. So he is going to end up with bright pink hair and i bet ill have a call to ask to correct it ... great! Thanks for comfirming it is basically impossible!
I have never worked or had to correct XXL live colours. Does anyone know the science behind what so wrong with them... is it the metalic salts? The size of the molecules?
Thank u

Omg I don't envy you with this guy in the slightest!
Like Dee5 said the silicone in it will form like a glue and bond that colour to the hair - I HATE XXL with a passion
I would suggest a a good cut and lift and tone the roots ( if he has any :/. ) and leave the ends Blue Black, convince him it will be a unique funky look
Sally's are a nightmare!! Chemicals should never be sold to the public!!
Good luck :)

xxl are a bloomin nightmare to get out - just say no! if he goes short for a few hair cuts you can start afresh with him with a virgin head - (presuming its only short hair ) you are the professional make sure you are never bullied into 'having' to do peoples hair - if you mess it up clients always remember you doing it! not that they begged you to do it in the first place!! - stand you ground hunni

Good luck xxx

God i hate box dyes! Xxl sounds awful!! Weve all had that 1 client who wants it now now now and this is my 1 ahha. He has a grade 1 round the sides and we have around 5 inches of hair to play around with ontop so it will b grew out in a few months! We have left it as he is going to sallys to do it himself and ask the girls on the counter what he needs because ive refused to tell him as pro colours should be left to the pros! (I did tell him not to put high peroxides on the scalp with bleaches because im aure the sallys team wont even know that) Damn sallys..... he has said if it goes wrong we will cut it off and start again.... im hair stylist not god! Lol!

Some times you have to be cruel to be kind. Tell him your not willing to do it because as the professional you know what is right, and if he goes to Sally's and tries to do it himself and it goes wrong then unfortunately it will be a hard lesson but a lesson well learned. I bet he will be a bit more cooperative and patient!!

I have be told these contain metallic salts especially the bright pink.
Be careful.

Oh cringe the girls at sallys hav sold him blue powder bleach and 40 vol and told him he can apply it up 2 4 time one after another and affinage 9.117, gothic range with 10 vol (not trained in affinage so dont know about this).
But blue bleach and 40vol on the scalp!!! Told him no u will blister!

Can u imagine how painful bleach and 40vol, 4 times is going to feel!! OUCH

If very much doubt he will manage to withstand two applications on the scalp, let alone four!

But anyway let him do his thing, it is the only way that he will learn!! Or on the other hand by some miracle he might get it to the perfect icy blonde, and will never listen to you ever again lol.

Haha! I know imagine that!! Perfect silver hair and me doing the walk of shame! His poor poor head!! X

I can withstand 2 applications of 40 vol bleach but 4?! Ouch!! Lol x

Is your head made of steel? Lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I can imagine his poor head... I know a guy that bleached his hair at home and fell asleep with the bleach on! His scalp was a mess.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Someone I used to work with had bleach and 18% under heat years ago when it was popular in salons! Lol crazy x

Last edited:
Ouch ur kidding!! Bet he was left with some pretty big blisters haha!

Haha yes I bet! Considering it's double the strength of 9%.... Goodness me haha I would not be happy x

Guys he has only gone and achieved it. Thus making me look like a completely incompitent hairdresser!! Pics to follow..... baring in mind this has gone from igora 1.1 blue black with majicontrast red undertones!!!

Latest posts

Back