Is this normal? Help! £

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaintyDoll

Reaction score
Hello all,
I was wondering if someone can help me out..
I currently work full time in oil and gas with my own beauty business on the side.
I have decided I want to go to college to get an NVQ in beauty (even though I have done many courses: Gelish, spray tan, HD brows, Waxing, tinting, lash extensions, LVL and basic manicure)

I applied for a part time position in a salon and they said my wage will be £4.50 an hour? Is this normal as i can't believe how little I am getting offered for the amount of things I do?! They said its because I'm not fully qualified and would need some of their training?
I really want to work in a salon for more experience alongside college but I didn't think the wages would be so low? X

Hello all,
I currently work full time in oil and gas with my own beauty business on the side.
I have decided I want to go to college to get an NVQ in beauty (even though I have done many courses: Gelish, spray tan, HD brows, Waxing, tinting, lash extensions, LVL and basic manicure)

I applied for a part time position in a salon and they said my wage will be £4.50 an hour? Is this normal as i can't believe how little I am getting offered for the amount of things I do?! They said its because I'm not fully qualified and would need some of their training?
I really want to work in a salon for more experience alongside college but I didn't think the wages would be so low? X

Surely you should be getting minimum wage for your age. If you are over 18 this is too little.

minimum wage for your age group is £6.50 just looked on HMRC are they taking you on as an apprentice?

I presume so as she said "it's tricky as you have most of the qualifications but not all so can't class you as fully qualified"
Do you think I should mention the minimum wage topic to her or would that be pushing it? X

there's no harm in asking you have every right to know what your entitled too i would phone the HMRC first and ask them and then approach the salon, if you do decide to take the job make sure you get a contract that states your hours and wages etc x

It's odd that if they were taking you on as an apprentice they wouldn't try and get away with only paying you £2 whatever rather than over £4.

The minimum wage for over 18s in £6.31, but I thought even if you do an apprenticeship at your age your still entitled to minimum wage because of your age.
Ring HMRC. I think they may just be trying to pull a fast one on you. Surely running a business they should know all this.

Laura xx

that's what i was thinking £4.50 is a bit of an odd number definitely speak to HMRC

If you are an apprentice they can pay you below minimum wage (think its £2.89 or something stupidly low) regardless of your age, but in turn they pay for you to go to college & do your NVQ's.

Short courses usually only allow you to be self employed with the exception of nails (a well known brand training is acceptable) & spray tanning (& similar courses not always included in NVQ) to be employed & insured full NVQ's are needed.

Xx

If you haven't got an nvq you are not classed as qualified , they do not have to pay min wage until one year after you have started.

If you haven't got an nvq you are not classed as qualified , they do not have to pay min wage until one year after you have started.

This is only true if they are employing you as an apprentice and putting you through college.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I have decided to decline the offer - attend college and carry on with my beauty business on my days off.
Knowing that i can make £15 doing a simple brow treatment in 20minutes compared to £4.50 in an hour concerns me. X

I might be completely wrong here but can you carry out services at a full price if your not qualified ?

Hi dainty doll, I'm also in aberdeen and looking to do something similar I'm pregnant at the moment so considering this after baby is born - would you mind private messaging me which salon it is? I've spoke to one and they also said it was a low rate and I'm 27 x

I might be completely wrong here but can you carry out services at a full price if your not qualified ?
K Butler, i am full qualified in treatments (accredited by the guild) - eyelash emporium, nouvatan, gelish, entity, Harley waxing etc, HD Brows, LVL etc..
That is how a majority of people i know go self employed.. you are also advised certain prices to charge customers in these training courses. x

K Butler, i am full qualified in treatments (accredited by the guild) - eyelash emporium, nouvatan, gelish, entity, Harley waxing etc, HD Brows, LVL etc..
That is how a majority of people i know go self employed.. you are also advised certain prices to charge customers in these training courses. x

You are certified lovely for these treatments not qualified as a therapist. These certificates show a level of competence and are valid for insurance.
For employment most places will ask for at least level2/3 or equivalent.

There are more qualifications that meet and exceed the NQF than just NVQs in response to the other poster,K butler but I understand what you are saying.

DaintyDoll You might find that you can use some if your certificates for prior learning though? Might be worth speaking to your college or to VTCT about it. Even if not indoubtedly your experience and private courses will help you in your training.

As for the offer I think you have made a wise decision, I would do the same x

Hello all,

only if its classed as an apprenticeship then yes its perfectly legal, if not however they no they are offering you an illegal wage as its way below the nmw, if you not sure there is places you can contact xx

Latest posts

Back