Is this rent extortionate?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinkywinky

Reaction score
In a ladies gym, £850 per month for 2 beauty rooms and a nail tech desk including reception to do bookings?

That is well over my mortgage. It's a shame as I was interested in renting!

it depends on the circumstances. If there is a huge clientele there, then no, it's quite reasonable. If there is no clientele then Its expensive. Also depends on the clientele that you have that would follow you there.

I only pay £700 for my whole building thats two beauty rooms downstairs, four beauty rooms upstairs one with ensuite, kitchen and laundry room and im in a prime location on a busy main room.
I did the ladies gym when i first started and it was horrendous, not saying it would be for you but I was bullied by the manager and my stock kept going walkabouts

it depends on the circumstances. If there is a huge clientele there, then no, it's quite reasonable. If there is no clientele then Its expensive. Also depends on the clientele that you have that would follow you there.

Good advise from persionista.

I would look at what is and isnt included in that price. I.E your rates, music licence, electric, phone, access to gyms database, etc.

Its a little steep but again depends whats included.

I would not sign your life away and if you do make sure you have a get out clause after so long in your contract called a 'break'.

Also ask for perhaps a reduced rent for the first 3 months so that you can build clients and not be too tight.

Work out as well how many clients you need a month to cover the basics and see how manageable it is.

Kate x

In a ladies gym, £850 per month for 2 beauty rooms and a nail tech desk including reception to do bookings?

That is well over my mortgage. It's a shame as I was interested in renting!

Rent is location dependant, however, I have seen higher rent for 2 rooms in a gym. Work out what type of clients the gym can bring you, are there many daytime ladies coming into the gym? is it working professionals looking for evening appointments?

Does the rent include the beauty license? electricity? hidden charges?

What other businesses are in the gym that can refer you clients eg: yoga/pilates studio, physio?

My first reaction when i read this was, How much?:eek:
Like it's been said, find out if there is anything else included in the rent. It sounds a lot to me and you will have to do a lot of treatments to cover that and any extras on top and hopefully make a wage.
:hug:

As mentioned above it depends on the location, area etc.

I would perhaps pay that amount for my own salon but not for a couple of rooms inside a gym.

My friend paid £850 for a massive beauty room with own reception and nail area inside a prestigious hair salon in her local town and had to give it up after 6 months still oweing rent !! She didn't make a penny from it.

I had a therapist rent a room from me making 1500 per week. It really does depend on circumstance.
I also rented a room to a therapist who struggled to make the rent.
This is the same salon.

Agreed with Persianista. Rent is dependant is many factors.

How can you say rent at £100p/w or £400p/w is expensive when you don't know what it can bring you?

If you like the location and know you can pull in clients from the gym, work out how much revenue you think you can get and then make the gym an offer on what you can afford!

As has already been said, it depends on lots of factors.
How big are the rooms?
I have a salon and let's say i wanted to rent a couple of rooms out for say £75-£100 a week. I can then rent the nail station out for £50-£75 a week.
I don't see that as unreasonable so could you not use one room and rent the other room and the nail station out?

Why don't you go to other gyms and talk to beauty therapist about the business that comes in through the door etc... do your homework and be realistic about it. I rent two rooms, a small area where I do my office work and a reception room. i pay £330 inc rates and utilities. the salon is within an independant department store in the high street. I thought that being in a store would brind in lots of clients especially as I am able to put fliers in shoppers bags and advertise in store, but in reality i get very little from the store which surprised me. Don't bank on the thought that being in a gym will generate clients. i had a friend who paid a lot, like you, and had no clients as gym people tend to come in do their fitness and leave. Be careful and good luck

Latest posts

Back