Isotretinoin/Accutane - the ugly truth or just plain ugly?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHarvey

Reaction score
Hi again ladies!

I just wanted to get a little perspective from a therapist's point of view regarding the prescription of Accutane/Isotretinoin. Hear me out...

As a BT I've only ever head "NO! It's so bad!!". It's not hard to find information about how bad Accutane or Isotretinoin are for the body, and there have even been links to depression and even suicide - although the latter has never been proven. It's been drilled into us how bad it is, and how horrifying the side effects are, but, lately I've been wondering if in some cases it really is the last choice. Having worked alongside therapists who have tried EVERYTHING for their skin, from retinoids to peels to antibiotics to changes in the contraceptive pill, I've seen the changes in their skin once started on a low dose of Roaccutane, and it's got my brain ticking. Both of the girls I know who have used it were on low doses (10mg or 30mg as opposed to the larger 60mg doses that were prescribed years ago), and while there were some minor side effects, both have said that the drug changed their life, and that it was the best thing they ever did. These are both girls with over ten years experience in the beauty industry, with an incredible amount of training under their belts.

So, now I have to ask: are we short changing our clients by steering them away from oral treatment when it could actually be the best thing for them?

Would you, or have you, ever recommended their use?

Have you taken a course? What was your experience like?

Would love to hear from someone xx

I believe that there are circumstances were the beauty therapist can only take the skincare to a certain level and sometimes medical intervention is necessary, we can't impact on internal factors the way medicine does, in these cases I recommend my client sees a dermatologist, backed up with my care for helping to control the condition

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

As an acne sufferer myself who is currently on accutane I would definitely say that you can't rule it out. I tried EVERYTHING, but a low dose of 20mg has finally cleared skin with very little side effects. Now I use dermalogica and jane iredale which compliment my treatment, but those alone would not cure it. Neither did antibiotics, contraceptive pill, makeup change, hundreds if pounds worth of skincare, quitting dairy and gluten etc..

As an acne sufferer myself who is currently on accutane I would definitely say that you can't rule it out. I tried EVERYTHING, but a low dose of 20mg has finally cleared skin with very little side effects. Now I use dermalogica and jane iredale which compliment my treatment, but those alone would not cure it. Neither did antibiotics, contraceptive pill, makeup change, hundreds if pounds worth of skincare, quitting dairy and gluten etc..

Totally agree with you! I was on a 60mg daily dose and all facial, chest, back and arm acne was abolished within a period of 4 months. I had tried everything and spend so much money on products it's unreal. I had acne for 15 years (from the age of 7/8) and this was the only thing that worked, it's been 4 years since I stopped treatment and never had a spot since [emoji4] so good to hear others have had a positive response to treatment than the scaremongers out there xx

After living with acne for the past 11 years, I finally decided to take the plunge, despite my needle phobia (you have to have regular blood tests)! I had been told on many occasions not to take this drug but even just a week after taking a low dose I notice a difference and so do people around me who have mentioned it not knowing I'm on the drug. My self confidence has increased so much in such a short time. I have dry lips but that's it so far. I am prepared for my side effects to get worse as I am only on day 10, but if my skin keeps getting better & confidence growing, I really don't care!!
I wish I'd gone on this drug 11 years ago & I was stupid to listen to the doubters - people who have probably never suffered from acne and not had to deal with the confidence issues as a result of it.
I would recommend it to my clients who I thought really needed it.

I have taken it twice in my life. The first time I sailed through with no problems other than dry lips and a need to wear sunglasses ALL the time. I took a high dose and so was all done with it in less than twelve weeks. It got rid of my stubborn acne that I'd tried everything for, really helped with my confidence and I thought it was amazing stuff and would recommend it to everyone.

Fast forward to fifteen years later and I had a recurrence of monthly hormonal acne, around my mouth and was getting nasty cysts which I was concerned would scar. So I pressurised my GP to refer me to Dermatology and managed to get another course of Roaccutane. This time I had pretty well every side effect you can think of, even on a tiny dose. I also had psychiatric side effects (muddled thinking, loss of concentration which were obvious to other people - not just me) and when I finished it (I had to as my liver function blood tests had gone abnormal), a week later I had my first ever experience with horrible depression that very nearly killed me.

That was all about two years ago, I am (finally!) back to myself again but I have had to change careers and my life course as my previous job was one that I needed to have 100% concentration, quick thinking and assertiveness in.

So what is my point? Just that - as you can see - if one person can have two so very different experiences on the same drug, how can we possibly know how two separate people are going to react to it? Some people will be like my first course, sailing through and thinking it is brilliant whilst others (I hope nobody) will have my second experience. So I think that, like all drugs, Roaccutane has its place. For people who have treatment resistant acne that is ruining their confidence and blighting their life I think it probably is worth it. But if there is any other way that the acne could be sorted, either with more 'gentle' medication or (even better) with aesthetic treatments such as targeted acne skin brands, facials, peels etc then this should be explored as much as possible before someone goes down the Roaccutane route.

One thing I am very sure of is that I would never recommend it to a client in my capacity as a Beauty Therapist, I would only recommend that they speak to their GP or Consultant Dermatologist if beauty treatments aren't working.

I'm so glad you've replied @Leeloo. I've read a lot about this drug. The effects on men seemed particularly relevant with loss of sexual function and suicide/suicidal thoughts being very prevalent.

I use environ at work and retail the skin supplement, Accumax which has had amazing results on acneic skin without any of the side effects of roaccutane. I think there are often other routes to take but the costs can be prohibitive and the results not so quick.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Vic x

I second vics recommendation of accumax, i suffered hormonal breakouts for years, nasty blind spots that left scaring, took a high dose if accumax and now maintain and my spots =gone!

Latest posts

Back