I've been asked to name my price for room rental- HELP!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shellbert

Reaction score
Need some advice guys!
I've been having chats with the owner of a local Hair Salon that has a really good rep and needs someone to take over the Beauty side of the business as he hasnt seemed to have had much luck with previous Therapists for various reasons.
It has 2 treatments rooms which are very nice and spacious, and a spray tan room which he said I can use all of them or sub let. I will try and look for a chiropidist to work one day a week in the other room.
The Salon will wash the towels I use and their receptionist will take my bookings. I can use their couch and trolleys etc that they already have in the rooms.
He's asked me to come up with a suggestion for rent as basically he says that the hair side is bringing in plenty of money and he really wants the Beauty side to work as it will benefit the Salon as a whole.
I can tell he's really thought about getting someone in that knows their stuff as he's asked me to come up with a business development plan to see how I'm going to market myself and where I hope to be in 12 months time etc.
My argument is that I dont want to insult him by offering too low a rent but I need to be able to make a profit from the venture as well.
By looking at previous posts most of you are saying £15 to £20 a day is pretty reasonable.
I only want to open the Salon from Wed afternoons through till Saturday at first to gradually build up the business and then there's the products I have to buy in for my treatments.
I think he's looking at a fixed rate rental which I would prefer too then I'm making as much as possible.
They also have an existing client base as they have been operating for 12 months so all I need to do to start with is get in touch with them and give them an incentive to come and meet me and have a treatment.
I would appreciate your advice on a rental price to offer as I'm just going round in circles in my head at the moment and I'm meeting him tomorrow evening- aaah!!

xx

Last edited:
Hi, this sounds like a really good opportunity. I rent a room in a salon, I take all my washing home & use my own couch etc. I pay £30 a day, 5 days a week, even if i'm not there, the new clients that I have gained have made this worthwhile. The only thing that I would say is have a backup in case you can not be at work...I have broke my collarbone & have had to find 2 months rent without earnings, just when business really took off! Hope this helps, good luck :green:

Need some advice guys!
I've been having chats with the owner of a local Hair Salon that has a really good rep and needs someone to take over the Beauty side of the business as he hasnt seemed to have had much luck with previous Therapists for various reasons.
It has 2 treatments rooms which are very nice and spacious, and a spray tan room which he said I can use all of them or sub let. I will try and look for a chiropidist to work one day a week in the other room.
The Salon will wash the towels I use and their receptionist will take my bookings. I can use their couch and trolleys etc that they already have in the rooms.
He's asked me to come up with a suggestion for rent as basically he says that the hair side is bringing in plenty of money and he really wants the Beauty side to work as it will benefit the Salon as a whole.
I can tell he's really thought about getting someone in that knows their stuff as he's asked me to come up with a business development plan to see how I'm going to market myself and where I hope to be in 12 months time etc.
My argument is that I dont want to insult him by offering too low a rent but I need to be able to make a profit from the venture as well.
By looking at previous posts most of you are saying £15 to £20 a day is pretty reasonable.
I only want to open the Salon from Wed afternoons through till Saturday at first to gradually build up the business and then there's the products I have to buy in for my treatments.
I think he's looking at a fixed rate rental which I would prefer too then I'm making as much as possible.
They also have an existing client base as they have been operating for 12 months so all I need to do to start with is get in touch with them and give them an incentive to come and meet me and have a treatment.
I would appreciate your advice on a rental price to offer as I'm just going round in circles in my head at the moment and I'm meeting him tomorrow evening- aaah!!

xx

Not sure about rents for your area but a few other questions occurred to me that I think you need to be wary of.

Do you know why the other therapists didn't do very well? If the hair salon is doing great then it seems a little strange. Were they employed by him? Were there disagreements? I think you need to be absolutely sure that the information regarding why the beauty side of the business has failed is correct before you even get into a price discussion. Also, who does the client base belong to and do you have to pay a fee to buy the records. Ownership of a client base is a very sensitive issue and if the previous beautician was self employed and only renting the rooms then the records should officially belong to her. You would need a specific agreement regarding issues like this as it would be disastrous to spend ages building up a client base only for them to turn around when you want to move on and say that the records all belonged to the salon.

I'm sure I've seen quite a few posts about this sort of thing plus a lot where salon owners seemed to promise the earth but failed to deliver. The best answer is to hash out an agreement and do not move in until everything is signed on the dotted line.

On saying all this though, here's hoping it 'does everything it says on the tin' and congratulations will shortly be in order.

Good Luck for tomorrow.

Hi, this sounds like a really good opportunity. I rent a room in a salon, I take all my washing home & use my own couch etc. I pay £30 a day, 5 days a week, even if i'm not there, the new clients that I have gained have made this worthwhile. The only thing that I would say is have a backup in case you can not be at work...I have broke my collarbone & have had to find 2 months rent without earnings, just when business really took off! Hope this helps, good luck :green:

Ouch, hope you're on the mend now though :hug:

Hi Femme
No, the owner is very open and honest and has explained why the previous Therapists haven't lasted that long. They have been quite young, inexperienced, unprofessional and not very motivated.

Thankyou, yes there's light at the end of the tunnel now xx:green:

I'm just about to rent the upstairs of a hair salon too, have rented before but only in a holistic therapies space so quite different from a salon.
Thought i'd tell you my deal so that you can compare. Same sort of thing... a cople of therapists there before, similar reasons for leaving.
I'll be renting the upstairs which consists of, reception area with seating, spray tanning room, beauty room, large open space off of the reception area with nail bar & store cupboard. There is also 2 other rooms up there with sunbeds in them ( 1 in each) may take these over at a later date? The space has a seperate entrance door and an adjoining door to the salon, i'll have my own key so that if I want to work and the salon is closed I have my own access. Also, clients can enter without having to walk through the salon.
Anyway, i can use the space 7 days a week with hours to suit, i'll be washing my own towels and supplying my own products etc. There is some equipment there already that I can use, i.e couch, wax heater etc.
I have had my own telephone line connected, so have to account for that.
I can employ a receptionist if need be, dont think i'll be able to afford that tough!!! But I can leave my book downstairs with the salon if i'm busy and they will take my bookings.
Think i've covered everthing thats included??? Feel free to ask me any thing else, and after that v.long script... my weekly rent is £ 125 -
Oh yeah, the salon owner had already purshased the special treatments licence and said that I did'nt have to contribute this year but it will be my responsability next July.
Hope that all helps... let me know how it goes, seems were in a similar situation would be good to confer. X

Latest posts

Back