Junior to stylist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charleneweeooo

Reaction score
Hey guys, is it the norm to have the same wage when moving from junior to being fully on the floor? I know as long as I'm getting nmw then it's acceptable but even though it's not all about the money, it just breaks my heart a little knowing I'm going to be paid the same amount for taking in clients as I am scrubbing floors and making tea 😞

Yes, it's usual to receive a small wage increase but it's not illegal not to offer it.

Unfortunately, even if you were the 'Artistic Director', you could still be receiving minimum wage.

When you had the conversation with your employer, did you ask for a pay rise? Are you able to earn commission on top of your salary?

You do need to be pro-active about things such as rates of pay, holiday entitlement etc. otherwise, your employer will only ever offer you the legal minimum.

Yes, it's usual to receive a small wage increase but it's not illegal not to offer it.

Unfortunately, even if you were the 'Artistic Director', you could still be receiving minimum wage.

When you had the conversation with your employer, did you ask for a pay rise? Are you able to earn commission on top of your salary?

You do need to be pro-active about things such as rates of pay, holiday entitlement etc. otherwise, your employer will only ever offer you the legal minimum.

Yeah I knew it was perfectly legal just wasnt sure if it tends to be usual. I haven't spoke to my boss about it yet as I won't be going on for another few months. He pays really strange though, he pays £50 pounds per day no matter how many hours you do and I know i won't be able to up any days once I'm on the floor 😕 so it won't be changing. I probably will be able to earn commission but the target is almost unreachable for busy stylists never mind a newbie

Yeah I knew it was perfectly legal just wasnt sure if it tends to be usual. I haven't spoke to my boss about it yet as I won't be going on for another few months. He pays really strange though, he pays £50 pounds per day no matter how many hours you do and I know i won't be able to up any days once I'm on the floor 😕 so it won't be changing. I probably will be able to earn commission but the target is almost unreachable for busy stylists never mind a newbie

Do you have a contract? Did you agree on an hourly rate?
This sounds a little bizarre!
Xx

I know this isnt the point but that's not a bad rate for a newly qualified stylist lol

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Do you have a contract? Did you agree on an hourly rate?
This sounds a little bizarre!
Xx

I don't have a contract and we never agreed on anything! It wasn't even my boss that sorted out my hours when I started, he just left it all to the young stylists lol

I know this isnt the point but that's not a bad rate for a newly qualified stylist lol

For the girls who only work for instance 10-4 yeah that's not bad, but for me who'd be working 9-half 5 it isn't very fair. One of our stylists works 9-2 and the other works 9-6 and she doesn't get anymore than her

For the girls who only work for instance 10-4 yeah that's not bad, but for me who'd be working 9-half 5 it isn't very fair. One of our stylists works 9-2 and the other works 9-6 and she doesn't get anymore than her

No. Still a good rate for the hours you're doing aswell! But yeah not really v fair..

I've been in the industry forever, and have a salon.
I sweep the floor,clean the toilets, wash the hair.....all jobs I did as an apprentice.
If you are in a small salon, this is called 'team work'.
I know minimum wage sucks, but in this over saturated market, as a boss I can tell you that paying more than that is not possible for most of us, it is not because we are mean and greedy.
Work hard, build yourself a 'following', you will then have something to barter with when negotiating a fair commission rate.
We cannot give, what isn't there!:|

No. Still a good rate for the hours you're doing aswell! But yeah not really v fair..

How can the absolute minimum be a good rate if it's the absolute minimum? Not trying to sound as if I'm wanting more and being greedy, im just trying to understand lol

I've been in the industry forever, and have a salon.
I sweep the floor,clean the toilets, wash the hair.....all jobs I did as an apprentice.
If you are in a small salon, this is called 'team work'.
I know minimum wage sucks, but in this over saturated market, as a boss I can tell you that paying more than that is not possible for most of us, it is not because we are mean and greedy.
Work hard, build yourself a 'following', you will then have something to barter with when negotiating a fair commission rate.
We cannot give, what isn't there!:|

Try telling my salon what team work is lol. I'm not myself saying my bosses are being mean etc as I know its difficult, I just find it slightly unfair as the girls who are only in until 2 are getting a good wage and me who'd be working nearer to 6 each night would be getting no more than them...
I just can't help but feel a bit deflated knowing one day I could be scrubbing the toilet then next day pulling in clients and getting the same for it. Like I said it isn't all about the money as I love doing hair but I'm starting to feel less motivated to actually go on the floor now

How can the absolute minimum be a good rate if it's the absolute minimum? Not trying to sound as if I'm wanting more and being greedy, im just trying to understand lol

How old are you? Depending on your age you'd prob get less... saying that i did caculate it wrong 😂

I'm 21, im an oldie lol

I'm 21, im an oldie lol

Old haha. When i qualified i was on about 150 per week 😳 which was minimum wage back then lol. Tbh though it sounds like your boss isnt going to change the way he pays. If you want minimum wage at the least id find somewhere else... although im not sure itd be more than what you're receiving at 21 x

Old haha. When i qualified i was on about 150 per week 😳 which was minimum wage back then lol. Tbh though it sounds like your boss isnt going to change the way he pays. If you want minimum wage at the least id find somewhere else... although im not sure itd be more than what you're receiving at 21 x

I feel old 😂 next to the wee 1st years anyways lol. I'm on 102 a week the now and with a baby and a mortgage it just isn't good 😩 let's just hope I'm the next Sassoon haha x

The reason u can get commission is because you have to earn it, you have to put the effort in to building a steady coloumn and at that point you'll reap the rewards, why are some people working less hours for the same daily money?

The reason u can get commission is because you have to earn it, you have to put the effort in to building a steady coloumn and at that point you'll reap the rewards, why are some people working less hours for the same daily money?

Yeah I'll be trying my hardest to get a big clientele and that but it seems to be difficult to hit targets in my work... The busiest stylist in my work who is the only full time one too finds it difficult to reach and she's mobbed...
I have no idea! The lesser-houred stylists wage works out £10 per hour and the most-hours stylists works out around £5.50, less than nmw! Tbh I think he underpays the ones that he knows doesbt have the balls to complain

Yeah I'll be trying my hardest to get a big clientele and that but it seems to be difficult to hit targets in my work... The busiest stylist in my work who is the only full time one too finds it difficult to reach and she's mobbed...
I have no idea! The lesser-houred stylists wage works out £10 per hour and the most-hours stylists works out around £5.50, less than nmw! Tbh I think he underpays the ones that he knows doesbt have the balls to complain

Demand the wage your entitled to and discuss your hours before you agree to anything, it dosent sound like the business needs another stylist if your busiest stylist isn't reaching targets? Maybe that's why your only being offered a rubbish wage?

A little tip for you tho for getting clients to reach your targets is go for colour clients before any cut and blows etc they are the big money services, and retail as much as you can, everywhere you go talk to people about their hair and what you think would suit them you'll soon be foiling all day every day, ombre and balyage are also good money services too so get really good at them and get people in for it!

If your boss is being a prat and not keeping things fair between stylists then look for another salon a good owner would make sure everything was fair, if he already breaks the rules it will never change

Latest posts

Back