Just a little ups in your hair!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soosh

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

Helpful as u are, I thought you could kindly advice me on what to do in this situation :

I have realised that sometimes when I do foils, I can see some marks of seepage in the hair. ( when I say seepage i mean there's a line at the roots, where I have folded the foil).Thanks god it happened only at the back, and only in one place in the whole head.
After seeing it the first time, i changed my folding technique ( so I don't fold the foils on the sides anymore, and I don't press that hard on them). I assume that this time the place where it's been the mistake i might have put too much colour?

Anyway....i was hoping if some of you had done this mistake while they were new in the industry to suggest some ways of correcting it.
Tbh, i don't know what to say. Should I tell the client ( assuming there's in the back and the chances to be noticeble are v low), or should i find another quick way to correct it at the time?
The ideal situation on Sat would have been to say ' look, the colour has bled a bit from this foil and we need to match it and fix it', and then appologise for it. But I didn't have time. I had to cut it quickly and blow dry it, as I had another appointment after and..I was afraid the client will be upset and complain. (and that makes me a chicken...!). But i felt misserable about it, and it still bothers me, that there was a slightly mistake in my client's head and I let her go out with it like that. If she comes again, i will take care of it next time, but......she was a new client and ....she might be booked in with another stylist.

So...the question is...what do u do when mistakes like this happen?

(i'm ready to be lectured, deep breath...i deserve it, so you can say anything, i can take it! :)

Crikey youre a bit tough on yourself arnt you?! One foil? In the back of the head? erm....I think you'll get away with it!
Can you even notice it without peering close?

To stop bleeding in future - Dont use too much tint or bleach, dont foild sides of foils, or if you must dont fold them tight, dont place tint too close to roots as it seeps up when it expands. if a few foils are getting a little puffy and look like they may bleed, place a little cotton wool next to it on the scalp.
Always check through your foils before the client goes to process, if there is bleeding, wipe it away and mix a little of the clients natural colour and apply where colour has bled on scap.

Lastly, dont beat yourself up over one foil for goodness sake!!!
xxx

What bleach do you use some bleaches expand alot I used to use igora bleach which was really bad for this I now use Tigi bleach and it doesn't expand at all and lifts really well. Xxx

Crikey youre a bit tough on yourself arnt you?! One foil? In the back of the head? erm....I think you'll get away with it!
Can you even notice it without peering close?

To stop bleeding in future - Dont use too much tint or bleach, dont foild sides of foils, or if you must dont fold them tight, dont place tint too close to roots as it seeps up when it expands. if a few foils are getting a little puffy and look like they may bleed, place a little cotton wool next to it on the scalp.
Always check through your foils before the client goes to process, if there is bleeding, wipe it away and mix a little of the clients natural colour and apply where colour has bled on scap.

Lastly, dont beat yourself up over one foil for goodness sake!!!
xxx

Pfiu, the first reply wasn't that harsh!
Thank you v much for your suggestions, i will consider them better next time!
My question is...what do u do if you realize it only after it's been washed and you are in the middle of drying it? do u tell the client? do u ask the client if they have another 30 min to spare to have it all fixed? do u ask them if they can came again the next day to have it corrected for free? ( my mananger won't be a v happy cookie after this), or...u don't say anything, considering it's at the back hidden in the hair, nobody can see it, and hope the client is not a fussy obsessed person who analysies themselves in the mirror like I do :))

It upsets me thinking that she might go home, notice it and then think that I tried to fool her....

What bleach do you use some bleaches expand alot I used to use igora bleach which was really bad for this I now use Tigi bleach and it doesn't expand at all and lifts really well. Xxx

we use Salons Powder bleach blue from Sassy...thanks for your reply xx

Pfiu, the first reply wasn't that harsh!
Thank you v much for your suggestions, i will consider them better next time!
My question is...what do u do if you realize it only after it's been washed and you are in the middle of drying it? do u tell the client? do u ask the client if they have another 30 min to spare to have it all fixed? do u ask them if they can came again the next day to have it corrected for free? ( my mananger won't be a v happy cookie after this), or...u don't say anything, considering it's at the back hidden in the hair, nobody can see it, and hope the client is not a fussy obsessed person who analysies themselves in the mirror like I do :))

It upsets me thinking that she might go home, notice it and then think that I tried to fool her....

You have to trust your own judgement and professional integrity. If I have done something Im really not happy with, I would tell the client the truth and put it right, after all, it has my name on it. But if it were one foil and not noticable...to be honest No I wouldnt as it would do more harm than good to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
Judgement call, trust your gut
xxxx

I've had a few foils in my hair bleed before when ive had it done and to be honest at first I was worried thinking ah how annoying (it wasnt even that noticable i just noticed it lol!) but then when I washed my hair it blended in and I never got it fixed coz it couldn't even find the bleed mark!! So I think it's one of those things where if it's going to affect your conscience or you feel like it looks really awful then go for it but if not and the client cant see one foil on the back of her head that's bled I would say it's more hassle than it's worth?? X

Thank you guys, i feel a lot better!

That's what i thought at the moment : it's not obvious, nobody else can see it, and if I make a fuss the client might become concerned about it. And i also thought that after a couple of washes it will dissapear or when the roots will grow it will hide it even more.

Has it ever happened to you having to rectify any mistakes like this? how did u deal with the situation? how did the client react??xx

I used to be so obsessed with bleeding and making sure i didnt get any, I would use thin strips of cotton wool between almost every foil ( took for ever ) Then the clients started asking what I was using the cotton wool for, it turned out that I was more concerned then they were. Unless its on the hairline of parting, they usually dont care and it will blend in as the foils oxidise after a few washes.
However if you notice a bleed on the partline or around the face, when you check before letting the client process or when you check the progress before you wash it all off. Remove excess bleach then grab a tube of tint close to her natural color and apply it raw, the reaction of the bleach that is still present and the raw tint will cause it to process instantly and cover up the bleeding.

I used to be so obsessed with bleeding and making sure i didnt get any, I would use thin strips of cotton wool between almost every foil ( took for ever ) Then the clients started asking what I was using the cotton wool for, it turned out that I was more concerned then they were. Unless its on the hairline of parting, they usually dont care and it will blend in as the foils oxidise after a few washes.
However if you notice a bleed on the partline or around the face, when you check before letting the client process or when you check the progress before you wash it all off. Remove excess bleach then grab a tube of tint close to her natural color and apply it raw, the reaction of the bleach that is still present and the raw tint will cause it to process instantly and cover up the bleeding.

Wow dies this really work? Would u not put a warm tone in? It flat tone?

Sorry stupid auto correct! Lol I meant would you put a flat colour on or a warm tone as its been lifted/bleached x

I usually use a neutral or sometimes a cooler tone, Ive never used a warm tone for this unless in the rare case the client is quite golden, but even then the end result after the raw ( N ) tint is applied and processed it's not flat. It all depends on the the base of the range tho, like Paul Mitchell is quite warm Id tend to use the CB instead of N for a natural and the A's if I wanted it neutral.
I find it works cuz the bleed needs extra pigment and the remaining oxygen in the hair from bleach processes the raw tint.

Latest posts

Back