Just wanted to get it off my chest and some opinions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlytaylor1986

Reaction score
No idea where to start really.

My predicament is this. I work in an office, earn good money but am bored out of my brain, I just sit there day dreaming about what life could be, but am too terrified to make any leap as I have a mortgage and that is quite a big commitment. I don't have a partner so have no one to fall back on really. I have my parents too, but I don't want to put them under any stress. I get bored so easily and need something to keep me on my toes.

I am qualified to level 3 beauty therapy, qualified legal secretary and a qualified nanny. I have no experience working as a nanny and I don't actually think that is the road for me. I would love to open up a salon and have done some brief calculations, but clearly need to look into it much deeper, but again, this was just me day dreaming today.

I mentioned this to my mum and she brushed it under the carpet and said "we all get bored, this phase will pass". I was hoping for a bit of support and for her to say "just go for it". I walk to work every morning thinking about opening a salon or just doing something different with my life instead of getting on that bl00dy train day in day out!

I am 28, and know if I don't do anything with my life, I am going to regret it massively in the future. But I am also scared that if I do take any leap and it fails, that I am back at square one! Like I said, just wanted to get this off my chest and some opinions - am I being unrealistic of what I want to achieve? Sorry for rambling! xx

Why don't you try doing some mobile treatments and find out if your heart lies in beauty? If you are seriously thinking of opening a salon, a client base can make the difference between success and failure. It would cost you a lot less to buy a couch/wax pot/nail equipment to find out rather than opening a salon! Or even look for work locally in a salon as an employee - an even cheaper way of discovering if beauty is for you.

Every job can be boring. Every job can be mundane. But there is nothing worse than massive debt sitting in a salon with no customers!

However, my favourite phrase is "If you change nothing, nothing changes".

Good luck with your choices.

Vic x

Opening a salon is a really big commitment and it sounds like you need to do some serious calculations first. Why don't you start off by going mobile and building up some clients whenever you are off? Otherwise you may have yourself an empty salon and that's when you'll end up back at square one. By going mobile you'll not only build up clients for the future but you will probably see if it's what you really want to do too.

Don't worry about it and make sure you think logically about it. Whilst it's great to have ambitions and dreams, it is sometimes hard to fulfil them. It'll take a while but if you're determined and genuinely have a drive to succeed then go for it.

Good luck!

Ah thank you for your replies. I have been mobile before and had a nail desk at home, but recently given that up because I find it so hard to juggle everything, working full-time, leaving the house at 8am and getting in at 7pm to then go back out. I live on my own so have no one to cook/clean/do the washing etc, plus time to go to the gym and fit a social life in too (not that I have an extremely busy one)...it's so hard, but will definitely look into it more. Really appreciate the replies :) xxxxxx

If you've already completed training in beauty, secretarial work and nannying, I'm not surprised your mum was a bit dismissive. She's probably just worried about you daydreaming without having any clear direction in your life.

However, it's your life and it's really down to you to get yourself motivated and tell yourself to 'go for it'. Whatever, 'it' might be. You don't need a partner or supportive parents to be successful. You just need some confidence in yourself and determination to make it work. Whatever you do, you won't end up back at square one because you will have moved forwards and learnt something about yourself along the way.

As Squidgernetball suggests, try doing some mobile beauty work in the evenings and see how it pans out rather than taking on a salon straight away. Small baby steps might suit you best initially.

My favourite phrase is 'Everything Changes' because even if you do nothing, life moves on and things continue to change around you. I find it helpful to think of it when going through a tricky patch because it helps to know the difficult times can't last forever. :)

I'm currently in the same situation And deciding whether to take the Leap. I have a few clients but just scared to take the risk incase it fails!!

My mum was much the same right up untill I was about to open, it became very real then! She's sooooo proud of me now :) she really was very skeptical all the way through the planning process, they say being in business is the loneliest job in the world because unless your a business owner (which my mum isn't) no one else really "gets it" so your kind of on your own really, it was lovley to sit with her last night and create a spreadsheet together (she's awesome at that & I'm not) so she could really see the ins and outs of how complex running a business is, she's going to run anyalysis over everything for me now which most people pay loads for so I'm glad she's interested now :) one thing I will suggest tho is not to actually open a shop untill you have a decent client base, I had a good mobile round to start me off, had I not had that to take with me I wouldn't have been successful with just new clients alone

Ah thank you for your replies. I have been mobile before and had a nail desk at home, but recently given that up because I find it so hard to juggle everything, working full-time, leaving the house at 8am and getting in at 7pm to then go back out. I live on my own so have no one to cook/clean/do the washing etc, plus time to go to the gym and fit a social life in too (not that I have an extremely busy one)...it's so hard, but will definitely look into it more. Really appreciate the replies :) xxxxxx

You don't need to book in appointments every night. I work full time too in an office and do a couple of treatments in the week. Without trying to sound harsh, you won't get clients any other way. If you opened up a salon why would they come to it if they didn't know you? Some clients aren't loyal, I get that but a lot of clients like to know and get on with their therapist.

:)

This is all true. I just really don't know what to do for the best. I get what you mean about my mum being dismissive as I've trained and gained qualifications, but when I do get bored, I generally like to learn something new so I will do a course, all funded by myself and doesn't impact them in any way - maybe I just shouldn't tell her when I am learning something new perhaps. My problem is I just don't know what I want out of life. I like that saying about "everything changes" :) xxx

Latest posts

Back