Keeping own clients records when working in a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrimarie

Reaction score
Hi, I am self employed working in a salon. I have been qualified for 14 years but only recently getting back into beauty. The salon I work in is made up of self employed therapists. The problem I have is we sometimes share clients, if a client is to ring the salon they get booked in with whoever is available unless they ask for a specific therapist. Some of us have our regulars that always book in with us. The client record cards are all stored together so we can access the forms if we were to do someone else's client. Clients sign a Gdpr form when they first visit the salon.

I have recently realised that you are supposed to keep client record card for up to 7 years and if I was to leave the salon what happens then!! I'm thinking about having my own copy of client cards that I keep to go along with the ones stored on the salon but the whole storing of them at home and Gdpr aspect scares me what do mobile therapists do? Or do you think there is a better way for me to do it? Many thanks

The way they are currently being stored breaks GDPR. As self-employed therapists, you are all separate business so shouldn't be sharing client details etc.

If they go to another therapist, they'd do another client card with them.

HI there is a new App just available on play store that might be useful for you, its aimed at hairstylists but could probably be used for beauty too... Not out on apple yet but Instagram/ facebook says its coming to Apple soon... I have posted links below

There are lots of electronic data solutions but this is about GDPR.

Someone should be designated as an information officer. You can get proper guidance on your particular situation and if you need to register from the "Information Commissioners Office" in your local area. You may need to pay a registration fee. But all information should be stored in accordance with the data protection act. Physical records in locked cabinets and restricted access to only those that use the information and or electronic records secured with passwords and firewalls etc. Your local ICO will be able to advise your specific situation.

Latest posts

Back