Kids homework

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abi326

Reaction score
How do u all cope with ur kids homework I have 4 kids and just seem to spend all evenings and weekends doing it. I learnt about fractions tonight and found I am terrible at mental maths but what's even more scary I am going to have to help them through gcse again oh dear so any tips and advice would be very much appreciated

I feel your pain !! Lol,
I was, and still am pants at mental maths, or more to the point on how they do things now. It's so different to how I was taught on how to with things out etc...
I use a bit of sly reverse teachings, my son tells me I'm rubbish at maths so I tell him before I can help you need to explain to me how you work it all out - this makes him feel he's got one over on me and shows me how to do it, and worked it out himself by telling me ;-))

My daughter did the same thing to me tonight showed me how to do fractions

I am trying my best with my 15 year old son who will be doing his GCSES next year. Boys are so laid back. He is beginning to drive me crazy! His works seems pretty simple in comparison to my awful GCEs, but there is a lot of it.

I hire a tutor but it costs me a fortune and I'm struggling in a way to pay £50 a week. However seeing your children get on in school and being confident makes it worth it. Having four kids to do homework for must be very hard and of course would be very expensive to have 4 tutors. Have you tried those explore centres you get discounts for tax credits and scholarships if your on the dole. I also send my son there, I'm fussy when it comes to education I feel it's my duty to ensure they have the choices education brings and the confidence, it's something I never got when i was young in spite of having a mother who was teacher. I would of benefitted from proper encouragement and support while at school.

I hire a tutor but it costs me a fortune and I'm struggling in a way to pay £50 a week. However seeing your children get on in school and being confident makes it worth it. Having four kids to do homework for must be very hard and of course would be very expensive to have 4 tutors. Have you tried those explore centres you get discounts for tax credits and scholarships if your on the dole. I also send my son there, I'm fussy when it comes to education I feel it's my duty to ensure they have the choices education brings and the confidence, it's something I never got when i was young in spite of having a mother who was teacher. I would of benefitted from proper encouragement and support while at school.

I did exactly the same with my daughter, she had a private tutor to help her before her GCSE's with Maths but I understand that costs do play a major part in this. I think I paid £30 for an hour and a half but that was nearly 2 years ago.

I had a tutor for my daughter when she was going to sit the grammar school entrance exam. All her friends went to the Explore Learning up at Sainsbury's, you know the one I mean. Our tutor was strict, a ex school teacher and very clever and passionate. She's in Hale Barns, probably not far from you. The Explore Learning staff were barely out of high school with no teaching degrees, more glorified babysitters.

Explore Learning was apparently loads of fun. Our tutor was hard graft. She made you sit an exam before she accepted you as a student because if you weren't clever enough she didn't want to waste her time, your time and your money.

My daughter passed the Grammar school exam. None, and I mean NONE of the children in her class who went to Explore Learning did.

I have a massive belief that the parents is the child biggest champion
My eldest has aspergers and I think dyslexic. I fought hard to get her a statement.
I can't afford a tutor at the moment so I have just arranged a tea time girl once a week coming to help me.
I stopped working in the evening just to be able to see to there needs, and the kids are loving the extra attention.
I think parenting is a profession in itself and a lot of juggling

I had a tutor for my daughter when she was going to sit the grammar school entrance exam. All her friends went to the Explore Learning up at Sainsbury's, you know the one I mean. Our tutor was strict, a ex school teacher and very clever and passionate. She's in Hale Barns, probably not far from you. The Explore Learning staff were barely out of high school with no teaching degrees, more glorified babysitters.

Explore Learning was apparently loads of fun. Our tutor was hard graft. She made you sit an exam before she accepted you as a student because if you weren't clever enough she didn't want to waste her time, your time and your money.

My daughter passed the Grammar school exam. None, and I mean NONE of the children in her class who went to Explore Learning did.

That's interesting but I suppose every little helps when it comes to learning. I have suspected explore is really just doing computer games but it might be helpful to some. We have no grammar schools in scotland which is unfortunate as I think grammar schools are a good idea when it comes to giving bright children from all backgrounds an education. Comprehensive has not benefitted poor bright kids.

I was going to suggest having someone come round to help. With all the clever teenagers in our area due to the fantastic schools around I thought that would be a great idea.

I agree, it's down to the parents. I use to sit with my daughter every night for an hour and help her with her papers. The tutor was there for an hour once a week to show us the way but the work was all done at home. Obviously not so easy when you have a large family and they all need attention. I hope your girl works out well for you and gives you that bit of extra time you need.

I was going to suggest having someone come round to help. With all the clever teenagers in our area due to the fantastic schools around I thought that would be a great idea.

I agree, it's down to the parents. I use to sit with my daughter every night for an hour and help her with her papers. The tutor was there for an hour once a week to show us the way but the work was all done at home. Obviously not so easy when you have a large family and they all need attention. I hope your girl works out well for you and gives you that bit of extra time you need.

Thanks really appreciate your input
I am sure ur daughter is doing well the grammar schools around here are incredible, they have so many opportunities.
And worth the fight it takes to get in!

Find out which exam board the school uses, and go on Amazon for the study guides, eg Letts. hth.

Approaching her A level maths exam, my daughter was struggling. We had a tutor for 2 sessions at £30 a time. He was very sweet, but very slow. My daughter was impatient with him. After the second session, she knew she didn't want him back. I asked her if she wanted me to look for another, but she decided to do it herself. She went online and used Youtube to help her with the problems she was struggling with. She took her computer and headphones everywhere with her. She got an A.

I am my daughters champion and I am good at maths but nowhere near the level she was at. Her desire to learn and achieve was what got her through!

My two girls are chalk and cheese. My eldest is a qualified beauty therapist and my youngest is going for an interview at Oxford!!!

They both went to the same school, and had the same opportunities, but their outcomes are very different, and I am proud of them equally!!!

How do u all cope with ur kids homework I have 4 kids and just seem to spend all evenings and weekends doing it. I learnt about fractions tonight and found I am terrible at mental maths but what's even more scary I am going to have to help them through gcse again oh dear so any tips and advice would be very much appreciated

I don't mean to sound flippant but it sounds like you're putting in as much effort as they are! By all means guide them or help when asked but you really shouldn't have to sit with them all the way through and take up whole evenings and weekends with it! I would encourage them to try and work independently as much as possible because if they go away to uni you won't be there to hand hold all the way through. I suggest getting some good study books (their teachers will know which ones to reccommend), popping into their room every so often to check they're ok, make them a nice cuppa etc but let them do the homework themselves unless they really don't understand. Even then, try and get them thinking for themselves. My son is in year 7 and my daughter is in 6th form and I have always encouraged them to try and do what they can independently as much as possible.

Do they/you have any older cousins/aunties/uncles etc who might skill swap? A set of nails for a couple of hours, or a cut and finish?
Or even a bit of pocket money for an older teenager!

My cousin (3 years older) helped me through gcse Spanish (ended up with an A!) for a couple of hours a week. She got her tea made and 20 quid and was pleased with that! I now do the same with my 11 and 9 year old cousins. It's amazing how different some people react to learning from family members they respect rather than getting a stranger in!

Like others have said, there are study books which are useful too!

My 15 yro has mocks all this week, she tells me the night before what she has the next day.
She is so blasé about it all.
She passed her science exam early 2yrs ago after no studying and a month away in Australia over Christmas time coming home to an exam 2days prior to it.

She refuses to share homework, school work, revision or anything with me. I go to parents eve and get good feedback so she's obv pushing herself and dealing with it all her own way.
Other parents from her school year are very into what their kids are up to schoolwise, I must seem uncaring.

She got instant acceptance into a college of her choice to do any subjects she wants, I only found out about the interview that morning when she asked me to write her a note and if I was free to collect her from school and drop her back.

My older two kids were more into sharing their school homework, queries, daily grind with me and still do to a degree (not homework stuff now as they've moved out, own families etc) but interviews, college stuff, uni stuff etc.

I do think sometimes parents can be too involved.
Just my opinion tho based on parents of a few of my 15yros friends.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

To be fair parent's do not push their children they simply take an interest and give them opportunities and getting into a college is quite different from getting into a top university with lots of competition. Parents aspirations of course reflect on the child. My mother would be disappointed if all her son's were not drs or phd's other mother's are happy for them to be a trade mans (nothing wrong with this) it is merely about aspirations and expectations which do shape a child!

As for grammar school these are very competitive and if someone feels their son or daughter need a little extra help to get in as not only will it help with their education there will probably be less of a rough crowd to get involved with as these children tend to have interested parents. People do their best for their children and want to support them in achieving their dreams and meeting their potential, weather they do or not is up to them but all a parent can do is open the door to the opportunity.

Now that my daughter is in the grammar school I don't get involved with her homework at all. She just gets on with it. I don't need to nag her to do it, she has her books open pretty much as soon as she's walked through the door.

I try and show an interest by asking what she needs to do and what subject its for if she gets her paints or craft stuff out but that's about all I can get from her.

Today she had 3 tests. She never told me she was having them but after the fact she told me she'd been revising like mad at lunch times and in bed at night! :eek:

Sneaky!!

Latest posts

Back