L&P overlay on brittle nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissOwen

Reaction score
HELP!!

I have a very good, very lovely client. She is 62 and has very brittle nails. She wanted to grow her nails to have a NNO.

We have now achieved this and she is breaking more nails than ever before. :cry: She doesnt get lifting, her nails just break off sometimes taking her free edge with it, sometimes not.... a couple of occasions she has broken them and they have split her NN half way down her nail bed.

Any advice on what i can do for her? Is it a case of keeping her natural nails short and sculpting the free edge, should i try a gel overlay instead?

She doesnt have her nails very long now, just a few mm's of free edge.

She does use her oil but only once a day before bed

Thanks in advance

brittle nails are always a challenge...

the older a client gets the slower the nail growth. So the more time they have to become dehydrated and brittle..

I imagine... she probably does not drink a lot of water, which will help in the long run. As a short term help I would also do hot oil manicure to really try and 'force' some additional moisture into the nail plate. As well as getting her to use more solar oil, both on top and under the free edge...

Also I would be adding more of an apex (even though it's an overlay) This should help provide the nail with more strength... Possibly I might even try radical liquid as this will help with knocks better...

Gel may work for her, but at the end of the day it tends to allow more flexabilty... something her natural nails obviously can not do.... so it won't offer the support her nails need...

hth's

brittle nails are always a challenge...

the older a client gets the slower the nail growth. So the more time they have to become dehydrated and brittle..

I imagine... she probably does not drink a lot of water, which will help in the long run. As a short term help I would also do hot oil manicure to really try and 'force' some additional moisture into the nail plate. As well as getting her to use more solar oil, both on top and under the free edge...

Also I would be adding more of an apex (even though it's an overlay) This should help provide the nail with more strength... Possibly I might even try radical liquid as this will help with knocks better...

Gel may work for her, but at the end of the day it tends to allow more flexabilty... something her natural nails obviously can not do.... so it won't offer the support her nails need...

hth's

Thank you so much for the reply.

She has a bit of an addiction to diet coke but not sure about how much water she drinks..... i'll have a little chat with her about it.

She has promised to be better with her oil. So lets hope she listens.

Again, thanks for the advice. i'll try a hot oil manicure and see if that helps at all. :hug:

Diet coke (any diet drink) uses a huge amount of water to process through the liver...

There are a lot of ongoing studies into the actual effects and long term results of artificial sweetners... especially aspartame based (such as phenylalanine...)

the jury is still out...

Diet coke (any diet drink) uses a huge amount of water to process through the liver...

There are a lot of ongoing studies into the actual effects and long term results of artificial sweetners... especially aspartame based (such as phenylalanine...)

the jury is still out...

ahhhhhh, so definately not the most helpful life choice then!! I'll see if i can convince her trade a couple of glasses of the diet coke a day for some water!! She's very healthy in what she eats so she may just not know any different.

Thanks again xxx

Latest posts

Back