Lash and brow tint - patch testing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyRH

Reaction score
I am currently thinking of dropping tinting all together. I patch test every time, which is a massive pain in the rear for the client, also a cost in staff time for me, but I'm a stickler for the rules and safety! I know BABTAC (as previous threads on here show) are fine with patch testing once and then with any changes (pregnancy, menopause etc). But they will always defer to manufacturers instructions. And manufacturers in the lash a brow tinting business seem to be extra cautious, as they should, but to the point of weird. Apparently after using Hairwell tint you can't wax the brows, which confused me as they make the HD Brow tint which you do wax after (unless different formulation?). And a response from Salon System said all their tints they distribute (Salon System, Refectocil, Combinal and Marvel Brow) need patch testing prior to each treatment. Marvel Brow, however, on their site shows testing only prior to first appointment. So while I don't want to put clients in danger, does all of this mean the end of the lash and brow tint as a viable salon treatment? I do have to say though HD make it easy by having take home tests the client applies themselves. I'm waiting on a response from Appraise, does anyone know of any manufacturers that make a tint that falls in with what BABTAC say?

I had the same problem& switched to marvel brow ( i will check the name later)

This dosnt need a patch test unless the client has reacted previously to any tint in the past. Its sold as a tint that dosnt require testing & it states the same on the instruction sheet inside the box. Do a search on here for 'marvel brow' and lots of threads will come up (ive commented on many before) its applied diffrently to traditional tints.

http://www.salonsystem.com/marvelbrow-brow-lash-tint-black.html

Unless they've recently changed the instructions, Refectocil states a patch test before the first treatment only, or every 6 months.

Unless they've recently changed the instructions, Refectocil states a patch test before the first treatment only, or every 6 months.

This is why I did a check with the UK distributor ( I use Refectocil at the moment), they said patch test prior to every treatment. I was hoping the Refectocil Sensitive would be like Marvel Brow in terms of only testing prior to first treatment or if previous reaction, but again they've said all their lines required testing every time. It is a shame as I love Refectocil.

Check with the manufacturer not the distributor.
This is what it says on the side of my new Refectocil box. Nothing mentioned about testing every time.
Your insurance will state that you follow 'manufacturers' advice.
image.jpg

Pulled this off the Refectocil website page as was having a nosey for anyone interested regarding patch testing.

'Is a Skin Sensitivity Test/Patch Test necessary?
YES YES & YES! There are a small number of individuals who may have an allergic reaction to tints, hair dyes and other chemical treatments. It is only in rare situations that the reaction can be severe. The comfort of the client is essential - to eliminate any discomfort Refectocil strongly recommends a skin sensitivity test be performed before EVERY application. Even people who have their eyelashes and eyebrows tinted regularly can still have an allergic reaction. If the client refuses to have this test, it is worthwhile having as salon policy that the customer would have to sign a waiver. Please read carefully the instructions on how to perform a skin sensivity test which are included with every Refectocil tint.'

Pulled this off the Refectocil website page as was having a nosey for anyone interested regarding patch testing.
"...If the client refuses to have this test, it is worthwhile having as salon policy that the customer would have to sign a waiver.

Just to point out that in this specific instance, manufacturers instructions should NOT be followed. It's common practice to offer waivers in the States and some other countries where some of these products are distributed but they offer no protection in the UK. On the contrary, it strengthens the case against you and is used in evidence for the injured party that you went ahead with a service knowing that it posed a risk of harm.

Also regarding the labelling. 'Patch test is advisable'.

If you hadn't tested the client on say her second appointment and she had a reaction, her lawyers would argue that you hadn't followed manufacturers advice as their advice is to patch test.

'Is advisable' in law, does not mean the same as use your discretion. Taken literally, it means test every time.

I have had a response from Appraise which was another "every time". I'm waiting on a response from GW Cosmetics, the manufacturers of Refectocil. I did see the above bit about testing on the Australian distributors site, so again maybe a case of covering themselves again/different regions law. I'll wait to see what the manufacturer has to say and post on here when I get a response. If it's the same may suggest a Colourstart style test to stop any faff, I'd definitely buy them!

So basically the manufacturer covers themselves by giving non specific advice which could easily be misinterpreted by a therapist who doesn't have legal knowledge.

The insurers cover themselves by saying follow manufacturers advice.

The client is covered because waivers aren't legal and won't be upheld in court.

And the therapist is the only one who can be held liable. I conclude that tints are coming off my service menu!

Exactly! Either offer a patch test every time or don't offer the service.
Same as hairdressing really.

Hairdressers patch test every single treatment? Even if the exact same colour is used as last time?
Mine doesn't!

I've never known a hairdresser to patch test every time if it's the same dye.
The company I work for are national and strict on insurance issues. We patch test every 6 months for our brow and lash tint.

I do. :)

I'm not prepared to take the risk of a client having a reaction. I test regardless of what type of colour they're having.

I know a lot of hairdressers never bother testing for a semi when it's not an oxidative dye but since I became allergic to them, I'm far more cautious.

Ah so it's not standard practice, nor an insurance requirement for hairdressers then......shame the same rules don't apply for beauty therapists.

Personally i think it would make things a lot easier for beauty therapists if it was compulsory to patch test every time, one we would have fingers crossed; have no legal beings with us as its a vague subject for patch testing at the moment.

Plus it would make it a lot easier to us beauty therapists, to say to clients that its compulsory to be patch tested each and every time, because we all know what clients can be like regarding patch testing, it seems to be such a difficult chore for them, mind they wouldn't be saying that if they had a reaction and their eyebrows had swollen up!

Ah so it's not standard practice, nor an insurance requirement for hairdressers then......shame the same rules don't apply for beauty therapists.

Yes, hairdressers should patch test every time as most manufacturer's instructions have similar wording on the tint tubes. (A few offer a slight variation on how frequently to test) However, even at college, they didn't bother testing if a client was having a semi but they were rigorous about testing if a client was booked in for any other colour service.

Sadly, lots of hairdressers take the risk not to test as they don't want to turn business away. :confused:

Thing is, when I was at school many many years ago (!) virtually no-one ever heard of kids having food allergies (nuts/dairy etc.) Eating peanut butter sandwiches was commonplace, for instance. Nowadays most schools ban a variety of foodstuffs from lunch boxes due to a member of staff or student having a known allergy.

I believe that exposure to strong chemicals around the home has led to an increase in sensitivity and within another ten or so years, there will be a lot more clients suffering reactions to tints and nail products as well as other common substances. :(

Hairdressers patch test every single treatment? Even if the exact same colour is used as last time?
Mine doesn't!
I've I let ever been patch tested once at a hairdressers and it was as the rep was in and I was being used as a model [emoji33]

Update from Refectocil: As per the instruction leaflet now in every box, they recommend a sensitivity test 48-72 hours (72 being maximum time from application) prior to each and every application. If everyone stops tinting, I'm sure they'll change their tune on the way to file for bankruptcy!

Non of my clients want to test every time so I've not done eyebrow tinting for ages. Do any brands of eyebrow tint do an at home patch test like the tattoo type ones HD brows do?

Non of my clients want to test every time so I've not done eyebrow tinting for ages. Do any brands of eyebrow tint do an at home patch test like the tattoo type ones HD brows do?

I contacted them again yesterday as I didn't get a response as to whether RefectoCil Sensitive required testing each time, and just had this in my inbox (I did also drop in that potentially thousands of therapists in the UK would just stop using their products if we didn't feel we had enough legal protection):

"we recommend to do the patch test in advance to avoid any allergy issues after tinting. We now have become aware that this could be a challenge for the salons.

So what we are doing is to get in contact with our UK-partner and a legal advisor looking for a solution that fits for all parties.

Thank you for your understanding that this will take some time. We are going to report back asap."

I did respond and gave a link to TricoCare the manufacturers of the Colour Start testing patch, I hope they either can authorise the use of these or licence the product with their own brand. Either way we will know where this company stands soon. The reply did get an out of office response with return on the 26th though, so won't hold my breath. But nice to know someone is actually looking at it and not like other companies just leaving us to deal with it. In the meantime, remember to patch test every time, with every brand!

Latest posts

Back