Lawful Development Certificate

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hmama

Reaction score
I have read many threads about people trying to get a special treatments licence to work from home and i'm trying to do that myself at the moment, but i have just been hit with another stumbling block today.
On my council special treatment license form, it asks if i have planning permission to use the room in my house for the purpose of work. Obviously, they they no you don't as it's a house and if i do want permission i must fill out another application form, send in drawings of the room and where it is situated in the house and 85 pound to boot.
I got so angry i called the licensing department in the council again and asked if they require a certificate and they had no idea. They want permission but not the certificate so i have to get the certificate just to apply for the special treatments license.
I feel so depressed. It takes 2 months to process the lawful development certificate and what they don't understand is that i just want to work from home legally without hurting anyone so why do they have to make it so difficult for us.
Did anyone else have to get this Lawful development certificate for a home treatment room?

I'm in Somerset UK and yes it took me about 3 months to get 'change of use' planning permission . Yes, cost money and had to do the maps in triplicate . They write to your neighbours to see if anyone objects. They check you have adequate parking and safe exit for cars (no high hedges to block drivers view when pulling out of your driveway). I also had a visit from the environmental officer to check hygiene etc.

I have read many threads about people trying to get a special treatments licence to work from home and i'm trying to do that myself at the moment, but i have just been hit with another stumbling block today.
On my council special treatment license form, it asks if i have planning permission to use the room in my house for the purpose of work. Obviously, they they no you don't as it's a house and if i do want permission i must fill out another application form, send in drawings of the room and where it is situated in the house and 85 pound to boot.
I got so angry i called the licensing department in the council again and asked if they require a certificate and they had no idea. They want permission but not the certificate so i have to get the certificate just to apply for the special treatments license.
I feel so depressed. It takes 2 months to process the lawful development certificate and what they don't understand is that i just want to work from home legally without hurting anyone so why do they have to make it so difficult for us.
Did anyone else have to get this Lawful development certificate for a home treatment room?

You can start up your business now if you ask for a temporary licence. There's a minor risk you might not get the certificate approved, but from the sound of the response you got when you phoned it looks more like they are going through the motions. Which council is it?

I'm in Somerset UK and yes it took me about 3 months to get 'change of use' planning permission . Yes, cost money and had to do the maps in triplicate . They write to your neighbours to see if anyone objects. They check you have adequate parking and safe exit for cars (no high hedges to block drivers view when pulling out of your driveway). I also had a visit from the environmental officer to check hygiene etc.
Thank you so much for your reply. OMG 3 months is a long time to find these things out. It's so unfair.

You can start up your business now if you ask for a temporary licence. There's a minor risk you might not get the certificate approved, but from the sound of the response you got when you phoned it looks more like they are going through the motions. Which council is it?
It's Merton council. They have asked me to contact the main planning officer and ask him to make an exception. I just don't know what to think.

I've had a look at the form, the bit about planning consent is for other businesses on the premises (which is none) so you just put "Not Applicable" on that bit. Should be straightforward then. I would phone back and double check this, and then just submit the form with some drawings of your work room. If you need any help let me know ;)

Latest posts

Back