lease advise please.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ally-cuts

Reaction score
what a great site and so much information for us neewbies :green:

we have just spoken to our solicitor regarding the transfer of the lease into our name, (god don't they waffle on, in a language not understandable to us no legal people).......we thought it would be a simple case of just having it checked out and then signing on the dotted line.
the place has been a hairdressers for the last 15 years, my shop is 3 doors along and i am sure my lease was a simple case of having it looked over by someone the signing.
anyone got any thoughts on this please?
we want it to go through quickly and without a huge legal bill at the end.

thanks.

What problems are you having in getting the lease signed?

Have the solicitors said there is a problem with it. I know that solicitors can be an expensive necessity but they could save you alot of heart ache and money in the long run.

We need to know more specific details of what the problem is.

your not the only one have trouble with solictitors mine has had my landlords contract since october and it was only on tuesday he sent it back to their solicitor to have alook at 2nd time round. The first time he wasnt happy with the length of the lease being 2 years only as as he rightly pointed out it could take three years for me to build my business up and then for my landlord to ask me leave according to the landlord and tentants act they had it there, however my landlord does not wish to remove this act as the units are located near private land where their are mobile homes too, so the policy is the same for everyone there too. He reassured us that after the 2 years least it will then be renewed for 5 yrs after that.
However my landlord wasnt too pleased that my solicitor sent him over 15 pages of what he called 'ridicolous amount of paperwork' including searches and unecesary information which would cost him alot in money too. Therefore he told his solicitor to back out of the agreement even though i'd been arranging loans and contacting suppliers thinking everything was ok- it wasnt untill i aranged a meeting with him to mention whether it was possible for the lease to be increased he said hasnt your solicitor told you its not going ahead luckily when we phoned ours he has not heard anything from their part so it was their mistake and when mentioned i'd allready had a loan taken out he said it looks like i'm going to have to revert back to you as someone else was intrested in doing something else there.
When i spoke to him yesterday he said that its compliated procedure not easy as we wanted because he wants to make sure the lease is actually own by the landlord, but i'm just scared that my landlord will be annoyed again that his digging to deep into & now the problem is the shop is almost done and we've spent £'s of pounds allready.
My solicitor knew that the builders started on the 7th Jan as even then things got delayed as i was hoping to be open christmas time and he has had the contract since october so thats why we had to go ahead with building work.
I beggining to wish i never started it now but when i go in there and see all the developments thats been done in the shop i want it so much and know i'll be happy there its just a case of hoping the solicitor hasnt messed things up again.
Part of me feels that solicitors carry out all these searches so that they get loads of money from it too as it doesnt come at a cheap price either.
We'll see what happens anyway hopefully things will work out i've had my fair share of badluck with the first builders letting us down and leaving the job half done.
sorry for taking over on your thread and having a moan but i agree somnetimes i wonder if it had of been easier if i had just sign the contract myself

it doesn't look like there is really any problems specifically, it is a straight forward lease being transferred to us. i own the property a few doors along from the salon, the solicitor is talking about doing a land search (had one done here a few years ago), asking about staff, is there a separate lease for the flat above (which is let out, on a 6 month basis).
it just seems the solicitors are trying to justify the £1250 bill to transfer the lease over.

thanks.

I agree with you although i said i wanted it to be a simple procedure my solicitor has decided to go a long roundabout way about it and wanted £1300 its not like we're buying a house or anything my landlord allready backed out the first time over this and i just want it to happen again after all expenes have been made into creating the salon.
They just seem to be doing what they want to do in order to get the money like you say to justify it but then if anything goes wrong we wont have a leg to stand on its a tricky one too.
best of luck with yours too

well having spoken to the owner in the last few minutes, it seems like eveyone is getting a little jumpy. i have decided to get a copy of the lease and just let the solicitor have a quick go throught it to explain if there is anything we need to know, get it signed and proceed.
leases are all fairly standard anyway, and it could drag on for months with lots of expense that is probably unnecessary.

Hi ladies

I know that the period where your solicitor takes what seems like control of things can be very tiring and irritating, but be pleased when you get one who does want to dig and probe and check things out for you as opposed to one who will just agree with anything and charge you for service regardless of not doing much work on your behalf. Afterall, one line of text in a lease could be enough to cause you problems in the future, and some land lords can be very clever at slipping clauses in that look pretty regular or unimportan tot the untrained eye.

I know it comes at a time when you're excited to be signing a new lease and want to get things moving, but that is why your solicitor is there, to look objectively at the proposed lease conditions without any emotional connection at all.

I'm sure that all will work out well in the end, and I would say don't be worried about upsetting a landlord, after all you are effectively making a purchase from them for a service and want to make sure you are getting value for money.

Wishing you both great luck with your properties.:lol:

Latest posts

Back