Leaving a salon to work from home?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fairydust

Reaction score
Has anybody left a salon to work from home? I am always busy but have the opportunity to have a purpose built room to work from at my home. Which wud make me flexible and not have to worry if one of the kids were off ill ect cause I wud be close by. But I am extremely busy and have a great clientele and don't want to lose them. Has anybody successfully moved from a salon to a home salon and stayed as busy?

I haven't but didn't want to read and run. i guess the question I would ask is would your clients follow you?

I understand about the flexibility off being close to kids as I have 2 off my own but I sometimes enjoy working away from home as it feels like 'work' if that makes sense and i get away from the daily grind of home (e.g if i worked near home id be in and out sorting washing etc in between clients and not taking an actual break because im doing house work.. if you see what i mean?)

not putting you off hun just throwing my thoughts in.. hth xxx

I worked in a busy salon for nearly 15 years til I had my kids, the set hours and traveling to and from became a problem for me. I converted my garage and now have a gorgeous home salon which I love working from, I kept all the clients I told and they love the fact that they get the same service from me without the massive cost of a centre salon

I left a Salon in August last year and I was the best thing I ever done :) ive been very lazy in the advertising department but I still brought in a reasonable in come for the hours that I do & I would defiantly not get paid that anywhere else ;-) I'm now moving into a tanning salon that has a great reputation and I'm now doing more advertising thing have just got better for me :)

Has anybody left a salon to work from home? I am always busy but have the opportunity to have a purpose built room to work from at my home. Which wud make me flexible and not have to worry if one of the kids were off ill ect cause I wud be close by. But I am extremely busy and have a great clientele and don't want to lose them. Has anybody successfully moved from a salon to a home salon and stayed as busy?

How does it make you flexible? Will you be able to keep busy, offer a quality service and watch out the kids in the same time? A few of my friends are working at home - each and everyone has a nanny. You can not work effectively and be a mum at te same time.

If it is mainly reason for a change, then no, do not move :).
You will loose some clients for sure, some people just prefer regular salon enviroment, feel uncomfortable and too personal at someone's house.
If you need a change, redecorate :).

How does it make you flexible? Will you be able to keep busy, offer a quality service and watch out the kids in the same time? A few of my friends are working at home - each and everyone has a nanny. You can not work effectively and be a mum at te same time.

If it is mainly reason for a change, then no, do not move :).
You will loose some clients for sure, some people just prefer regular salon enviroment, feel uncomfortable and too personal at someone's house.
If you need a change, redecorate :).

I think it can be done i have friends who are therapists/hairdressers etc that work from home and are more than capable of being a mum and providing a good service. plus the kids are not ill all the time and when they are ill clients generally understand especially if they have kids of their own. i know when ive had to re arrange appointments because one of the kids became suddenly ill my clients were very understanding.

its inevitable that some clients will be lost and i hope its only a small number as most clients, once they know the service they are getting is of a high quality they usually will stay with you.

Hm, I don't know.
I prefer to separate home and work. I was working at home, mobile, now I am back at the salon and what I can say from my experience - those are different types of clients. At least in my case.
But I live in a small village-type town, and now I work in a bigger town in an expensive fancy studio :). I can not imagine these ladies coming to my house.

Regarding sick kids - if you are simply going to cancel, it is the same at home and in salon. So only less commuting. If you are going to work and take care for a sick kids at the same time - well, that can be difficult. And unprofesional. I wouldn't go for a massage or a hair cut, if a sick kid would bother us and took mother's attention. But that's me. And I have kids, but I they are the only kids I like :D. And how often are they sick - if often, you can really mess your work, if rare, that is not a good reason for relocation. Anyway, good luck!

I relocated my salon from a beautiful premises to my home last year, I can honestly say it was without doubt the best thing I have ever done!!!
It does depend how you work, I work long hours and haven't lost one client!! I was really worried before I moved incase I lost clients but you must remember most of them come to see you, not your salon!!!
I am pregnant with my first baby and I'm so glad I'm not working in a salon and I will be able to be more flexible and not have the worry of paying a huge rent!! I am looking into a nanny share with a friend.
I wish you every success in your venture, I am still as professional as when I worked in the salon but my clients tell me they prefer the more 'informal' feeling of being in my home.
Good luck xxx

Little one at nursery so would never even attempt to work with a two year old! But I have a 10 and 13 year old also who don't actually need me but wud be handy to be close by wen there ill or inservice days ect, also wouldn't have to pay 400 a month rent. Would be completely separate home and work

Sounds fair.

Altough there is one more thing. Have you ever consider expanding your business by taking a coworker? I used to hire nail techs, I had my own place, when I started to send clients away I hired a girl I knew, then second and third :). We ended up as a busy salon full of clients during 3 years, I had to move to bigger location, not shared with hairdresser but stand alone place - but it was totally worth it. I just noticed nobody never mentions such a possibility - is it so uncommon?

Beside the point, but do you know what license you need to have a salon? Is it A1?

No idea. Just weighing up the pros and cons at the moment. My room is.to small to hire somebody else and would be scared to commit to paying a wage incase it slows down. Would rather just do what I can do.

You need to find out your councils rules, if ur planning on working full-time and advertising its classed as a business so you have to pay business rates on your home salon, if its just part time and is a duel purpose room ie salon in the day but storage,play room ect in the evenings then its just classed as working from home. Not a business as such. Depending on what u plan on doing you may of may not need planning permission. Each council is different

Latest posts

Back