Letter from Dean Christal, founder of Olaplex! Maleic acid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saffronrose

Reaction score
Found this letter on social media written by Dean Christal, founder of Olaplex. Thought I would spread it around, it is so interesting. Personally I use Olaplex and love it, it's grown my business and I love the people at the company... so helpful and sweet! A little confused though... Not sure which other brands out there are using Maleic Acid.. Anyone know?

Here's the letter:

I have never found reason to consider any of the “Plex” or “Bond” knock-offs a serious threat to Olaplex. Our unique chemistry is patented in the United States with other patents pending worldwide.

A few months ago, I was given an ingredient deck for an Olaplex “knock-off” product that hadn’t launched in the USA. It included “Maleic Acid” as the primary ingredient. This multi-national corporation that owns many brands in the beauty industry mailed an information card directly to store managers from a place where many of you shop. It compared their “knock-off” product to Olaplex, painting a poor picture of Olaplex, while at the same time using basically the same chemical technology.

This just didn’t seem professional.

I was shocked. Maleic Acid is a component of our unique chemistry. We also filed patent applications worldwide to the use of Maleic Acid in similar products to our commercially available Olaplex products.

While you may not realize that we are a small company, our R&D team includes scientists with advanced degrees bringing incredible expertise spanning chemistry and materials science. Our team also includes hairdressers, who are involved in creating new tools for colorists to use. At Olaplex, we are all about innovation and WE WILL NEVER IMITATE.

So where is this going?

I contacted this corporation and informed them about one of our unpublished, pending patent applications. Based on our discussion, I thought that they would respect our innovation and refrain from proceeding with a competing product.

However, this same corporation recently launched a “maleic acid” product in one of their “plex” color brands in Europe! Should I be flattered that a top color company is effectively endorsing our chemistry to be added to color and bleach?

Is this the way the beauty industry works?

Chemists discover a new technology; Olaplex spreads globally in one year to 250,000 salons… then others that are bigger and have deeper pockets just do what they please with zero concern for what this does to innovators and inventors?

This is what kills the entrepreneurial spirit in most…

But I can assure you that this only fuels the fire for Eric, Craig, the entire Olaplex Team, and myself. We will not be bullied by anyone, not even a mega-corporation. We will defend our technologies. We are, and always will be dedicated to the salon professional and to the hairdressers that allow us to create these products.

We are different and you can always connect with us.

Thanks for reading and give it a share,

Dean at Olaplex

Latest posts

Back