Level 2 college course entry test-help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleDragon

Wombaling around
Reaction score
Hi all, i'm looking for a bit of advice please.

I do nails ( nvq level3) and some other beauty bits and was looking into doing hairdressing as I have been helping the ladies out in salon when they have been busy, just shampooing and curling etc. and have been enjoying doing this and watching the ladies work.

I have a few colleges near me but only one running an evening course so I called and they told me due to doing beauty then the basic health and hygiene etc is covered and could go straight in and do level 2. Brill, they sent me an appointment for an interview and the place is really nice and the tutors lovely and they said the same that I could go straight in at level 2. But, upon leaving they said I had been accepted to do the course, but dependant on passing a trade test. I asked what that was and they said "nothing to worry about probably just a blow dry and a colour application".....what !!! i have never applied colour except on my own head.

What should I expect? any tips you can help me with? any you tube vid's or any info you could point me in the direction of at all?

Sorry for the essay. Thank you for any advice xx

I went to a private training academy and they train you in 24 weeks to apprently be a hairdresser it was the worst thing I did i left after just a couple weeks it's impossible to learn in that time, i now have to wait another year to train properly, starting college on a year course beginners if you do the level up there will be lots of questions you won't have a clue about as you didn't do the first course hairdressing is hard I would deffo say you need to start at basic then make your way up to the next level xx

Starting on level 2 should be fine.
I’d be surprised if they give you anything really complex to do as blow drying and basic tinting are taught in level 2. For both, you need to do accurate neat sections so maybe practice doing that?
www.freesaloneducation.com
have some really good online tutorials that you might find helpful.
Level 1 is extremely basic and intended for school leavers or students needing more support with key skills.
Fast track shorter courses are fine to complete the basic qualification but realistically, it’s lots of practice, further education and experience that make a great hairdresser. After gaining level 2, aim to do additional courses, particularly learning more advanced cutting and colouring techniques.

Thank you ladies,
This isn't a fast track course, it is my one of the colleges near me ( Newcastle Under Lyme College, https://www.nulc.ac.uk/the-college ) and the course is to start in September. Apparently I will get two weeks notification for the trade test but I would assume it would be before the end of this academic year so they know how many student are to start in September. I was told that the level 1 was for those that needed support or for school leavers and I wouldn't need it due to my qual's and already working in a salon, so it just took me by surprise when she said what the trade test was for. I haven't said anything to the ladies at the salon about doing the course as I don't want to be treading on anybodies toes but their help would be invaluable, so I am trying to observe what and how they do things without being too obvious. I would like to do level 3 after but the price is so high, plus I will have to wait and see how I do with this course first lol :D

Thanks for the tutorial link I will have a look. I have a guinea pig lined up in a weeks time for a basic hair colour so I'm trying to find all the vids I can about proper salon application, so fingers crossed

Thanks again ladies xx ( again sorry for the essay) x

You’re not insured to apply colour on anyone before you’re qualified so I recommend using conditioner instead.
If a friend suffered a serious reaction to a colour, that would be the end of your career before it’s even started!
It’s the application process they’re interested in watching which means careful sectioning and ensuring all the hair is equally saturated.
Tip: It’s much simpler to do shorter, thin hair than very thick long hair when you start off as you’re more likely to miss bits when dealing with a very full head of hair.

I'm not putting a professional colour on, it's my mum she buys the same box colour all the time and puts it on herself at home, but she said i could put it on for her this time if I wanted to practice application or she would be putting it on herself anyway.
I'm aware of the insurance side of things that's why I haven't told anybody about doing the course except my mum and hubby, and would never dream of asking anybody to be a model until I know what i'm doing and insured to do it, but I know where your coming from, thank you, very much appreciated xxx

Basic full head is hot cross bun sectioning. Also same sectioning for doing a root touch up.
Even if she’s used the same colour for years, you must at least do a patch test. It’s good practice to insist they have one (all clients) as you can develop an allergy to any product even after years of using it with no apparent issue.

Latest posts

Back