Level 4 diploma in providing therapies for clients with cancer or other life limiting conditions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejboyle

Reaction score
Hi guys just wondering if anyome is or going to be studying Level 4 Diploma in Providing Therapies for Clients with Cancer or other Life Limiting Conditions?

I'm currently working within the NHS in the north east. I'm qualifed in beauty level 2, massage level 3, nearly finished reflexology level 3, just going to start aromatherapy level 3 (blending oils) and hopefully going to do sports massage level 3 next September.

I have been working with the NHS as a complementary therapist for nearly a year and a half (year as volunteer and the rest as an employee). So I have the experience of working with cancer patients, spinal injury patients and so on but I think it could be worth the qualification?

Im interested to hear your thoughts on this course? Sadly its not offered in my area at the moment but VTCT said when I contacted them about to ask around and see if colleges etc would be interested in offering it in the future.

Emily

Hi do you mind me asking how you went about getting in with the NHS is love to do that x

It's strange because vtct have some awesome qualifications in their portfolio but a lot of places seem that they cba to offer them. I've even made specific requests to a number of training providers and they're like "nahhh". It's a shame that more can't be done to resolve this.

Hi do you mind me asking how you went about getting in with the NHS is love to do that x

My mam works in the same trust and she found out that you could volunteer. At the time I was only qualified in beauty but coming to the end of studying massage.

I had to prove my qualifications and have a DBS was called CRB check before being allowed to work with patients. I started off doing nails with a little massage and once my certificate came for massage I was allowed to start doing everything. I would go in on an afternoon one day a week and go on to the wards. Year later a position came up and was told to apply and the rest is history.

Now I work on a few different units and within our centre. From chemotherapy day unit to general medical wards.

You have to do training mandatory for the trust both as volunteer and staff.

It's worth doing some research not all hospital do it, but hospice also do it. Sadly the actual hospital in my town doesnt offer the services I think cause its too small or other reasons. But I work in a very large hospital which does, in one of the bigger towns/city near me.

Emily

It's strange because vtct have some awesome qualifications in their portfolio but a lot of places seem that they cba to offer them. I've even made specific requests to a number of training providers and they're like "nahhh". It's a shame that more can't be done to resolve this.

Do you think it's worth me asking my local colleges and other VTCT training centres?

Its such a shame the 'closest' ones are Manachester or Glasgow! I'm in the north east and it would ve very difficult to fit everything in working two jobs and travelling that far.

Even if it was in Newcastle it would be easier to travel to and from. It's quite new course think this year or last year so maybe if I wait it could done in more places over time.

Emily

Do you think it's worth me asking my local colleges and other VTCT training centres?

Its such a shame the 'closest' ones are Manachester or Glasgow! I'm in the north east and it would ve very difficult to fit everything in working two jobs and travelling that far.

Even if it was in Newcastle it would be easier to travel to and from. It's quite new course think this year or last year so maybe if I wait it could done in more places over time.

Emily

It's always worth contacting centres but I have found this to be very hit and miss.

I would definitely ask the Manchester and Glasgow course providers if the course can be done distance (I'm assuming it's theory based).

I would definitely ask the Manchester and Glasgow course providers if the course can be done distance (I'm assuming it's theory based).[/QUOTE]

Just some info for those interested...

Here is the link to the course VTCT is offering:
http://www.vtct.org.uk/Home/QualificationCentreFinder.aspx
(put the word cancer in the search box and the course will come up)

Looks like you need 8 case studies, some of which you follow up with several sessions.
There are 2 practical observations as a minimum so you will therefore need an assessor to visit wherever you are doing your treatments.
The theory seems to have lots on the NHS and working with healthcare professionals plus a reflective journal to keep.
To get on the course you need to have either level 3 massage, aromatherapy or reflexology. Level 3 A&P is also a must have.

VTCT lists the centres currently offering the course.

My mam works in the same trust and she found out that you could volunteer. At the time I was only qualified in beauty but coming to the end of studying massage.

I had to prove my qualifications and have a DBS was called CRB check before being allowed to work with patients. I started off doing nails with a little massage and once my certificate came for massage I was allowed to start doing everything. I would go in on an afternoon one day a week and go on to the wards. Year later a position came up and was told to apply and the rest is history.

Now I work on a few different units and within our centre. From chemotherapy day unit to general medical wards.

You have to do training mandatory for the trust both as volunteer and staff.

It's worth doing some research not all hospital do it, but hospice also do it. Sadly the actual hospital in my town doesnt offer the services I think cause its too small or other reasons. But I work in a very large hospital which does, in one of the bigger towns/city near me.

Emily

Thanks so much for all the info! Must be very rewarding job xxx

Thanks so much for all the info! Must be very rewarding job xxx

It is but also very tough. Must admit I think I enjoy it just a little bit more than working in a spa which I also do love xx

It is but also very tough. Must admit I think I enjoy it just a little bit more than working in a spa which I also do love xx

I can imagine x

Hi just happened upon this thread but really glad I did! I didn't know such courses existed. I volunteered in a hospice for a short time and really enjoyed it but never thought that it was an actual career route I could take. I now know of one place in Glasgow where there are possible job opportunities but I think the jobs are few and far between. Does anybody know what the chances of an actual job at the end of these courses would be like?
I know that with any course chances of employment at the end can be slim but as I have only ever seen 1 job advertised for this kind of role my impression was that a job would be extremely hard to get.

In my area we don't have the course running anywhere sadly like said closest to me would be Glasgow or Manchester. But realistic its a long way away sadly.

I have a few places which take on thearpist in roles dealing with cancer or critically ill patient. One where I work now and at least another 3 hospices. Im qualified beauty and massage. They take on people from that type of qualification to degree level qualification.

It was thanks to my mam to be honest who works at the same hospital who found out you could volunteer. So from being a volunteer for nearly a year and then being taken on I've learnt alot. I think you learn more doing the job but the qualification would be great to have too.

Latest posts

Back