Lifting, AGAIN!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teena_B

Reaction score
Hi,
I have done two sets of nails for a friend, she's having lots of problems with lifting. The second set I did, I used retention try me kit, even with nailfresh and scrubfresh I still got the problem. I was very particular about my prep, and I have narrowed it down to the following:

She won't keep her hands still and is a fiddler, her phone, hair, my products, anything!!! I tell her to stop, I think last time she didn't do it so much.

She has an olive complexion, and in my opinion she has a rather oily complexion. I would have thought that the products would have sorted that though.

I use a cuticle remover that I got with my manicure kit from college, it's made by Precious Moments, from Ellisons, it comes in a nail polish style bottle. I wonder if any of you know of this product causing a problem?

These are really the only things I can think are causing the lifting. I've done a search, so apart from these, I'm stumped. I am now feeling very suspicious of the cuticle remover. Here's a list of it's contents:

Aqua, Glycerol, Paraffinum Luquidum, Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG-30 Lanolin, Potassium Hydroxide, p-Chloro-m-Cresol, Methylisothiazolinone.

I am not sure that having liquid parrafin and Lanolin in the cuticle remover is a good idea, specialy using this before and enhancement service......great for natural nail care manicures but..........
Liquid parrafin is very oily and lanolin is very greasy.......so when rinsing of the cuticle remover some of this will still be absorbed in the nail and can cause lifting............
Switch to a non grease based cuticle remover........... CND is fab.....rinse the nail after non living tissue removal and scrubfresh the nail till its squeaky clean......

JMHO

i love the CND cuticle remover it is excellent make sue you emove it all properly though and if she is a trifle oily then try nailfresh and acid free primer should do the trick
HTH

Agree with Ruth! As soon as I saw that list of ingredients it was warning bells time. Lanolin and liquid paraffin (which is also used in all eczema products) need to be avoided when wearing l&p as they are major "lifters".

Gosh, thanks guys, I had my suspicions about this stuff! Can you answer me this, just as a matter of interest, if liquid paraffin and lanolin are in, say, hand cream that a client uses before a treatment, can this also cause lifting? Would you recommend that clients not use these products for say 24 hours before having enhancements?

Once again, you guys are lifesavers, thanks so much:Love: :hug: . I was starting to think there was no hope for me! I'll let you know how it goes with her nails, I'm sorting them out tomorrow.

Hi Teena, eek it's a long time since I did l&p but we were taught that in aftercare advice a client should avoid lanolin and liquid paraffin or white soft paraffin (such as vaseline) completely as it causes lifting. As always not sure if this is correct as I've discovered that so much I was taught in the early days is in fact wrong!

I actually state this on my aftercare leaflets .........No hand creams, body lotions, baby oil, etc that contain lanolin.

Thanks Lell & Sassy Hassy, I will be putting this advice on my aftercare leaflets too.

What would I do without the help of my fellow Geeks? Stay in my current job as a Civil Servant, which bores me to tears, that's what! Instead of which, I'm training to try and be as nail wonderful as you all!!!

Latest posts

Back