Lifting situation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 145015

Reaction score
I have qualifited as a nail technician a few months ago, currently only working with gel. When I apply gel polish on toe nails or gel extensions, it stays on perfectly fine with no lifting, however when I apply it to natural nails (on hands) I get lifting at the free edge. I'm unsure why the gel polish is only lifting when applied to natural nails on hands but not on toe nails or when applied on gel extensions. I prep the nail as taught on training and cap the free edge but the gel is still lifting. I noticed the gel doesn't lift from all nails but seems to be 2 or 3 while the rest stay on fine. Any advice?

To me it sounds like the problem may lie in your prep. Perhaps the nail needs more dehydrating or dry cuticle not removed properly?

Do you have any photos of the nails at all so we can better advise?

I feel that if it was your prep, the lifting would be on all ten nails since you would be doing the same thing with all ten.
Is this happening on everyone or just the one person?
If just one person, which nails are involved? If it’s the same 2 or 3 nails all the time then I think it would be logical to suspect that it’s something she’s coming into contact with (ie bleach/cleaning products/even strong anti ageing skin products) which is eating away at the seal you’ve carefully placed at the edge!and then of course it’s liable to chip or lift.

I had a client that had lifting issues on 2 fingers on a regular basis. One day I noticed after prepping her nails, she scratched her face. Sounds like it wouldn’t be a big deal but oil transferred onto her nail edges which caused her edges to lift. Usually I’m looking downward so I didn’t notice but when I did, I made sure she kept her fingers away from her skin after that and guess what? No more lifting! Sometimes you have to remind them their nails are prepped and no scratching or rubbing their skin.

Could these be nails that are used more often? Eg opening jewellery clasps, watch straps etc? Unlikely to be your prep if it’s at the free edge.
Also ask clients to ensure they also apply cuticle oil around the free edge as it’s often forgotten.

Could these be nails that are used more often? Eg opening jewellery clasps, watch straps etc? Unlikely to be your prep if it’s at the free edge.
Also ask clients to ensure they also apply cuticle oil around the free edge as it’s often forgotten.

Shampoo or conditioner with wet nails in the shower/bath is a common one recently too

And those damn Pandora bracelets

Shampoo or conditioner with wet nails in the shower/bath is a common one recently too

And those damn Pandora bracelets

Ah god, I have chipped so many of my newly done nails on those darn Pandora clips!

Ah god, I have chipped so many of my newly done nails on those darn Pandora clips!

You can get a pandora tool to open the clips now. They’re also pretty :)

You can get a pandora tool to open the clips now. They’re also pretty :)

Really....what is this sorcery!? Point me in their direction, I may get some as a 'gift' for my persistent offenders (for 'gift' read 'stop being a pain in the backside' tool) ;)

Really....what is this sorcery!? Point me in their direction, I may get some as a 'gift' for my persistent offenders (for 'gift' read 'stop being a pain in the backside' tool) ;)

They should be a retail item for us lol

Latest posts

Back