Lifting when filing an infill

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glimmer Jo Jo

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong when filing my in-fills. I'll start on a nail that has no lifting and I'll start at the free edge and work toward zone 3 but as I'm filing fine lifting occurs. Other times there doesn't seem to be lifting, I'll spray with nail prep to clean and remove dust and as it dries there's lifting?!?!
I use a 180 grit file and file toward the edge of the gel.
It can only be technique........
:sad:

I had this issue- make sure your filing just before the lift not on directly on top of it and not to vigorously as you will loosen it and end up chasing it all the way down the nail.

Yes, I know what you mean lol. I do this ( or at least I'm trying to) I've gone and bought a load of curved files which I'm regretting as it's more difficult to precision file I think.
I've seen a product by NSI called Line Away (or something like that) and it's s'posed to fade any kind of fill lines, has anyone else heard of or used it?

Ps one other question, are all files 'much of a muchness' or are there better quality files? I've bought Sally's own files, was that a mistake?
:Love:

Yeah I've heard of line away problem is if there's lift it will still be there. You have to actually remove it. If you file in the right place the lift should just flake off!
I get my files from either nsi dura file of crystal nails. They are more expensive but last alot longer and are way more sturdy,

Thanks I'll try some of those. And straight ones! lol

If your client has not been oiling and the product is very dry this can also be a cause

I wasn't aware of that. I do always ask them to use cuticle oil. I'm not qualified yet so am practicing on myself and my best friends although I did someone a favour this week as her usual tech has broken her wrist and it was a nightmare. The product was much harder than the product I use and she'd gone a long time between infills. Her cuticles and skin around her nails were very very dry, I doubt she uses any oil.

I use all nsi products but to be honest stopped using line away as I discovered that the ingredients where the exact same as the attraction primer?? I abso love the files from nsi and find them easier for doing it. Hth

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm going to put the cat amongst the pigeons so to speak.

I have a horsey lady who owns seven horses. Although she has solar oil she never uses it despite my best attempts to tell her.

She also teaches at a local school for children with learning difficulties so her nails take a bashing.

She has no lifting and her acrylic is lovely and creamy. I use CND.

Apart from perhaps chemical or bleach abuse or perhaps medication I'm going to venture that lifting is almost always caused by improper prep or mix ratio. Lifting needs to be removed always otherwise your next infil will be a nightmare because the lifting will just get worse.

Just a bit of advice. My prep was always good but my mix ratio was way off and strangely enough according to my teacher I worked way too dry. I've adjusted my mix ratio and now never get lifting unless I touch the skin. Even then it usually only lifts in a very small area and the rest of the acrylic is still well and truly attached. If the acrylic is hard and dry to file there is a good chance that you will have bad lifting because water has got under the enhancement. Also I wipe the nails with a bit of SCRUBFRESH and if the nail bed has any whitefish looking marks that's usually lifting as well. Good luck hun.
Xxxxx

I've gone and bought a load of curved files which I'm regretting as it's more difficult to precision file I think.

I've seen a product by NSI called Line Away (or something like that) and it's s'posed to fade any kind of fill lines, has anyone else heard of or used it?
I'm the opposite, I actually think it's MUCH easier to precision file with a curved file, especially around the cuticle area.. perhaps different for everyone/technique!

I also think, if you're needing 'Line Out' you aren't removing the lifting properly - you shouldn't need it, no matter how bad the lift is.

I'm the opposite, I actually think it's MUCH easier to precision file with a curved file, especially around the cuticle area.. perhaps different for everyone/technique!

I also think, if you're needing 'Line Out' you aren't removing the lifting properly - you shouldn't need it, no matter how bad the lift is.

I've used it. It's not to use instead of filing away lifting product. It's to use after filing away lifted product.
It helps especially when Infilling other peoples work, if they have used a different acrylic etc.

Laura xx

I've used it. It's not to use instead of filing away lifting product. It's to use after filing away lifted product.
It helps especially when Infilling other peoples work, if they have used a different acrylic etc.

Laura xx
I've used it too, I trained with NSi. Since I trained though I've found if lifting is removed correctly/sufficiently then there won't be a line to cover?!

I've used it too, I trained with NSi. Since I trained though I've found if lifting is removed correctly/sufficiently then there won't be a line to cover?!

But you can still tell where product is and where the natural nail is. As you don't want to file into the natural nail. Especially if they've used an acrylic with pigment in.

Laura xx

But you can still tell where product is and where the natural nail is. As you don't want to file into the natural nail. Especially if they've used an acrylic with pigment in.

Laura xx
Hmm, dunno what I'm doing differently - I haven't used it for years and can't see infill lines... ah well, each to their own :)

Hi again,

I don't use acrylic and the infill I did was on gel, it just seemed really hard. The reason I looked at line away was because my lady had said to me 'she aways puts something on to get rid of any fill lines' I was just wondering what that was. there was lifting on the nails and she was saying 'don't worry about that, you wont see it once the new gels on'. I wasn't happy to do that and continued filling. she'd stuck one nail, that had popped off, back on with nail glue!!!!!! that was a right bugger to remove! it was a nightmare job, but all good experience and character building I suppose lol
when im qualified im thinking of doing an offer where I'll do a full set and first in-fill at a deduced price, just so I can get this practice in.
ps just to clarify, this job I did was a favour for a friends mum.:rolleyes:

Hmm, dunno what I'm doing differently - I haven't used it for years and can't see infill lines... ah well, each to their own :)

I didn't say I could see infill lines. I just said I think It helps when an acrylic with pigment different to the nail has been used.

To the person who asked about line out, yes I would recommend as a product, but obviously others wouldn't, you may just have to try it for yourself.
It's good with Infilling gel as well.

I also know a girl who puts it on after blending in natural tips,

Laura xx

Hi again,

I don't use acrylic and the infill I did was on gel, it just seemed really hard. The reason I looked at line away was because my lady had said to me 'she aways puts something on to get rid of any fill lines' I was just wondering what that was. there was lifting on the nails and she was saying 'don't worry about that, you wont see it once the new gels on'. I wasn't happy to do that and continued filling. she'd stuck one nail, that had popped off, back on with nail glue!!!!!! that was a right bugger to remove! it was a nightmare job, but all good experience and character building I suppose lol
when im qualified im thinking of doing an offer where I'll do a full set and first in-fill at a deduced price, just so I can get this practice in.
ps just to clarify, this job I did was a favour for a friends mum.:rolleyes:

Haha yeah I hate those ones stuck on with glue! They don't realise you still need to soak through the full enhancement to get that glue off haha.

I find gel flakes away easier than acrylic when Infilling, but it does sound like this other tech used line out instead of filing, which they shouldn't.

Laura xx

I agree with this totally. Curved files in my opinion are much easier and as I also said if it keeps on lifting it ain't stuck on. I only get fil lines when I've not removed the lifted acrylic properly. I don't personally use NSI, which I've heard is a great product but I'm not sure about line out. Xx

I agree with this totally. Curved files in my opinion are much easier and as I also said if it keeps on lifting it ain't stuck on. I only get fil lines when I've not removed the lifted acrylic properly. I don't personally use NSI, which I've heard is a great product but I'm not sure about line out. Xx

With the curved files I think you have to remember to file in a circular motion (if you know what I mean) and I can't seem to get the hang of it. I'm determined to use them up tho, so by the time they're finished I won't be able to use the straight ones lolol

With the curved files I think you have to remember to file in a circular motion (if you know what I mean) and I can't seem to get the hang of it. I'm determined to use them up tho, so by the time they're finished I won't be able to use the straight ones lolol

Lol bless you and yes bynthe time you have used them up you won't want to use anything else xxxx:wink2:

Latest posts

Back