Living Social

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani04

Reaction score
I need a rant. I spoke with a man from Living Social who wanted us to run a deal. The deal he wanted us to do was a half head of foils with a cut and blow dry, and a full body hot stone massage, with a facial. And we would get £15 back. What a joke?

The worst of it was I never wanted to go a head with this. Today I recieve an email he had sent me a contract to sign to do this deal. I said we are not going ahead with the deal and left it at that he then emails back very rude saying he had to work very hard to get this deal approved and if we do not go ahead it wont get approved again FYI.

I did not want to do this deal so he did not have to work hard, he choose to in the hope I would go ahead. I sent him an equally rude email back. So angry!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Im not surprised! I would have put my foot down stating that it would not be gojng ahead from the start. Was this s client or someone else? Just make sure that they are not going to be signing without your knowledge

I found groupon a little pushy too, they kept telling me what an amazing offer it was, I simply kept repeating to them that I cannot afford to operate at a loss, so no, Groupon cannot help me. They are the most persistant little buggers.

I have the emails there now to prove I did not agree to this. He was such (word i can not use on here) rajin!

I hate Groupon/Living Social, etc.

We've done some promotions through those sites and ALWAYS lost money on them! We did it in the hopes that we would attract new clientele. What we attracted were bargain-hunting hair whores that already have another appointment at another LivingSocial salon. It doesn't seem to matter how great of a job you do: they don't tip, they find any reason to not come back (my salon is too small? Seriously??) and they don't refer friends or family or anything.

Not to mention, you SLAVE for months after your promotion is over. We sold 300 mani/pedi sets and did back to back to back mani/pedis, all with no tips and no returning clients. And clients would buy these promotions and try to use them after they were expired. We gently explained that since the promo was expired, they'd have to pay the difference and we had very angry people on our hands.

I would NEVER do another Living Social or Groupon again. They are awful!

We have done groupon before we sold 50, maybe have about ,10 regular clients from it now so in that sense it was worth it but not for £15 for 4 hours work

Anyone who goes in the mindset that they would be making money from it clearly isn't very bright. Sorry to say.

No you defo do not make a profit from the treatments they sell

You guys seem to have a problem with the deal site reps, where I am it still new and exciting and the reps are awesome!

I've done a few deals and it's definitely like virtues said, you won't make money but I find it's great exposure when you have no cash flow for advertising. I've kept a number of clients, not all but a lot, and their very nice. I think it's marketing the deals properly so your not losing money but covering your costs.

Anyone who goes in the mindset that they would be making money from it clearly isn't very bright. Sorry to say.

Sometimes it's not about making a load of money. I've used groupon and itison (Scotland) and came away with between £12 and £16 an hour. This was a mixed deal so the costs for the treatment varied from very little (massage) to slightly more than I would like (facial). Granted this isn't full price and overall we probably only made a minimal profit, however this was a great way to drive footfall into the salon, boost a quieter time of the year and fill up a new member of staffs column. And if I'd been paying her to be there anyway then why not at least cover her wages and get her some new regulars.
We provided our normal level of service and offered a further 20% discount on the clients next booking and overall we have gained about 40 new regulars from it.
I would consider myself as 'quite bright' and would never run a deal for nails as this is what we are busiest with, or tans or lashes as the profit margin becomes to small. But let's all stop being so stuck up and start to think with an open mind. I don't know how many times I've seen on here people moaning they're quiet (both employers and employed) yet they're the same ones to slag off any promotions that 'devalue' (deals or otherwise).
The reps can be a little pushy I agree however if you pick a smart deal and don't discount it too much it can work really really well for you!

Sometimes it's not about making a load of money. I've used groupon and itison (Scotland) and came away with between £12 and £16 an hour. This was a mixed deal so the costs for the treatment varied from very little (massage) to slightly more than I would like (facial). Granted this isn't full price and overall we probably only made a minimal profit, however this was a great way to drive footfall into the salon, boost a quieter time of the year and fill up a new member of staffs column. And if I'd been paying her to be there anyway then why not at least cover her wages and get her some new regulars.
We provided our normal level of service and offered a further 20% discount on the clients next booking and overall we have gained about 40 new regulars from it.
I would consider myself as 'quite bright' and would never run a deal for nails as this is what we are busiest with, or tans or lashes as the profit margin becomes to small. But let's all stop being so stuck up and start to think with an open mind. I don't know how many times I've seen on here people moaning they're quiet (both employers and employed) yet they're the same ones to slag off any promotions that 'devalue' (deals or otherwise).
The reps can be a little pushy I agree however if you pick a smart deal and don't discount it too much it can work really really well for you!

If anyone thought of using the search facility then you would see just how many times this subject has been discussed and how many times I've replied to posts relating to this subject, just for another week to go by and the same thread appears just with a different OP!

Apologies for my flippant comment.

I have used both Groupon and Social living but only once, not continuously. I used one in 2011 and one in 2012. Use common sense with these sites, to advertise your name to 180k people in a radius of 10 miles probably would cost you more than using Groupon. Make sure the offer is one with little product usage and the service time is short and the staff members used are on minimum wage. If you think you are going to make money from this you will not, it is a form of advertising the only thing you can do is upsell and encourage your clients to re-book, we kept a very high percentage of custom from these offers, and none of them are chavs, rude or want something for nothing. They are ordinary people that look for cheaper alternatives and they are not always poor or jobless, which most people think these sort of clients from deal sites are. I never used either of these deal sites to make money, the year I bought my salon I changed the name and opened on days it was shut...I worked for me. It's not about being stuck-up it's about using business acumen and common sense, often of which, is not that common.

The rest of your comments I agree with, you have to pay staff regardless of if they are busy or not. Some money is better than no money. I do my own deals and offers, my salon is not in an affluent area, the owners that turn their noses up at deals/offers are generally the ones that have been established for many years, charge £60 for a cut and blow dry and the minimum spend of one client is £100+ per appointment, but it is all relevant, it's the naughts on the end of the figures that change, nothing more.

I have an entire rant of my own on why salons should avoid using groupon.
I don't like their sales tactics, and no one is excited to get their emails anymore.

Personally if you want to be taken seriously don't swear in great big letters. I lost interest at that point and didn't read any further. Not professional reading in my opinion and certainly not something designed for public viewing on a website!

Latest posts

Back