Log cabin

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geekling

Reaction score
Hello ladies,

Just wanting your options on this idea, a log cabin in the garden for my beauty/nails.

A little back ground, I live with my rents, brothers & sisters and 2 dogs.

I really wanted a home salon, but with that many people its pretty impossible, and would be rather 'unprofessional' I feel.

Anyway, after reading another thread about log cabin, I thought maybe that would work? MAYBE... my garden is 7ft wide and 25ft long, more of a yard really! The dogs do go to the 'loo' in the garden, but it is washed EVERYDAY with a little bleach and warm water... The garden, has the garage on one side, and a high wall on the other..

This is the one I'm looking at... just quickly tonight I had a look

do you think this would be too small?

I'm thinking of approaching my parents with this idea, obviously they would be losing the back garden, but we mostly use the front anyway. The clients would come in through the back gate rather than through the house, so it wouldn't inconvenience the family too much.

Just wanting your opinions, advice really.
The cabin is small enough in hight that it wont need planning permission.
Someone has said contact my local council which I plan to do today/tomorrow.

Any info on doing this is greatly appreciated, just any general info would be great, along with your opinions on the size of the cabin/garden etc.

Maybe I am being totally unrealistic with this, as the garden is so small

Anyway sorry for the essay, just wanted all the info in, and thank you in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bumping as I posted quite late last night xx

I prefer the first one.

As its such a big investment, are you going to be able to come use it if you move out in the future? You may not be able to take it with you depending on where you move.

Are you sure it's more financially sound than say renting a room for maybe a year for the same price?

I suppose maybe that would be the best option, but I work part time, and am starting college again in september so I really wanted something close that I could work around work and college with. I think my best option would be mobile for this year, and then possibly a room once college has finished! I just love the idea of a cabin all done up! I think it would be a great feature to a business, keep dreaming eh! Haha! Maybe it would be best to wait untill I'm a little older, and try and get a mortgage to own my own place and then have one! :)
Thankyou for the reply! :) xx

Oh it's beautiful isn't it!! I wish one of those would fit in our garden! I thought of asking my grandma and grandad of I could have their garden, as it's huge but thought that may be taking the pee a little! Haha! :) xx

Hi everyone I'd luv one of these, would be interested to know if you need planning permission for one :)

If its under 2.5m in height then not usually (that's what I have read anyway) xx

If its under 2.5m in height then not usually (that's what I have read anyway) xx

That's correct. Also, its classed as a non permanent fixture.

I bought the Realis from Dunster House 3 years ago now, and went the whole hog and had the floor, walls and roof fully insulated.

I love the cabin, but my advice would be to go for the biggest you possibly can. From past experience we always need more room than we think.

Have to admit though, they erected it, and they didn't have a clue. I watched them like a hawk and suspected something was a miss so phoned head office to express my concerns. Their answer?.......they hadn't put one up before. So the next day, they took it to bits and the site foreman came and it was done in a day.

I went for the double glazed bi fold doors too. It's great, I have my own little bolt hole!

If I had a bigger garden I would have the biggest one possible, saving the money up isn't a problem, etc do I could afford one because I work full time at the mo in a non beauty job, I just wish my family would be more supportive of my dream of having my own business! They seem to think its a 'phase' I'm going through, but the reality of it is, it's that it's my passion, I live and breath beauty, I'm constantly on this site finding out new things and trying to learn more! They have all had steady jobs all their lives and I have now, they think I should just carry on with that and be manager in a few years time! I don't want to be a manager in my burning office job! I hate it! Ahh they make me mad!! Haha!! I'm going to look around, and see if there is any way I can achieve this without it having anything to do with them! There must be a way of doing it!! I will find one! Haha xx

This one is my favorite!

Isn't it beautiful? What about that for size?
I'm really thinking of approaching my grandparents about the possibility of using their garden, and maybe offering them a little money for the privilege... I could go quite big with this as the have an average sized garden xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be a silly question, but does the log cabin HAVE to be on concrete ground?
I'm guessing it does... xxx

You know what? I think you've answered your own questions.

If I were you I would rent a room as close & convenient as possible. Then when you're ready to move out you can keep the consistency of your room. Then when you can quit your day job even better, push the promotion on your room & do mobile if needed.

Then when you can afford a bigger place either give over a whole room or get a log cabin in your garden.

I really think if you have family who are not supporting you then setting up completely independently is your best option.

Just my opinion! I say go for it whatever you do, you'll always find support & advice on SG regardless xxx

I agree! I have totally! Sometimes it just helps work things out when you write it down doesn't it!! I still wish I could buy someone's garden from them though!! Lol!! Thankyou! :) I think I will do as you have advised! And just stick it out mobile! :)

Go for it! Xxx

Thanx! I may start keeping an eye out for a room as you suggested, but I can't see many! Xx

Might be a silly question, but does the log cabin HAVE to be on concrete ground?
I'm guessing it does... xxx

No, if you have a reasonably flat surface you can have the rapid fit base. Check out dunster house, they have several options.

Latest posts

Back