Looking for advice on Calgel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacymcg13

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I am fully trained in CND shellac and also acrylics as well as being HND beauty trained. I am focussing at the moment more on my nails.

Ok so I have heard a lot about calgel, I would like to know people's thoughts on the gel. I know everyone is different etc but a general idea. Also for those of you that are Calgel lovers, did you have to invest in the Calgel training to be able to use it? I was looking at maybe getting a few to try out but been forwarded the training information and kit Cots etc, it's a lot of cash to invest just to try out lol

X

Hi Geeks,

I am fully trained in CND shellac and also acrylics as well as being HND beauty trained. I am focussing at the moment more on my nails.

Ok so I have heard a lot about calgel, I would like to know people's thoughts on the gel. I know everyone is different etc but a general idea. Also for those of you that are Calgel lovers, did you have to invest in the Calgel training to be able to use it? I was looking at maybe getting a few to try out but been forwarded the training information and kit Cots etc, it's a lot of cash to invest just to try out lol

X

I know when I started with Calgel you had to be trained in it to buy the products. I seem to remember they sent me the kit in advance of the course so I could look at the products prior to the course. But I had to pay the full price for the whole kit and not able to try a few gels first. However I think I have read here that if you contact them they will send you a trial pot of their gel for you to play with before you decide to invest in Calgel or not. They also like you to go back occasionally for refresher training.

Thanks for that, yeah I have spoken to someone and they sent me all the details on the kits and stuff, I really like the training parts for the brands but when you have to do the training for all to find what you like its a bit much lol
So do you use Calgel still? Are you liking it? Searched and found another few threads on here and it seems to be good!

I use Calgel the actual original one not the new iz gel which they are now selling.
I am trying new iz gel soon.

Anyhow Calgel definately has its place in the market similar concept to bio sculpture which has changed somewhat with the LED setting but the Calgel original formulation has remained the same.

I love how it actually enables your nails to respire and they are NOT soft brittle or damaged when you remove them or of client pulls them off (although this is a big no no )
You can also add to Calgel meaning it not the end of the road per say if you want to add colours or change the way the gel works for you.

I like Calgel besides the obvious but because it is a all in one gel.
It's the same base , colour topcoat all same just pigment added to make colours but same base.
It soaks off as fast as shellac does.

It is a bit trickier to apply compared to the other acrylic based gels with the more pigmented colours like white etc it is an art you can mess it up but its practice as with everything really.

I love it .

Hi I am trained in Calgel , I have tried their new IZ gel but I prefer the original gel, I find it easier to remove their new one takes me ages. when I reorder I will buy the normal gel. It is easier from the point of you only use the one gel for everything it removes easy enough and the colours are nice. I have tried different gels but prefer Calgel, their training is great and they are always ready to help you if you ring them. I am not sorry that I have gone with them they are expensive but you do get a good product.

Thanks 😊 that is great I was worried about the time it takes to soak off but if it's as fast as shellac that's a bonus. I think I will just invest in the training. I have just noticed over a period of time that it seems to be more popular and that you can sculpt and add use with tip and be strong. I just love shellac still, no harm in having them both I suppose.

I use Calgel and I love it! I've been using it 3 years and can't fault it, training is fab and customer service is top notch.. I use the iz gel (out of the pot not the bottle) it's amazing! I have tried other brands but keep going back to Calgel as I have not found anything that meets that standard, also your correct in saying u can only buy once trained which I think is an added bonus.. 😄

also your correct in saying u can only buy once trained which I think is an added bonus.. 😄

Thats a very good point.

I wouldn't say it was as fast to remove as Shellac though. I got the impression when I went for my refresher Calgel prefer you not to remove each time but to infill and remove every other time. I find Clients like to change colour each time they come and I wasn't very good at removing any lifting so I did mainly remove and re-apply ( I always feel guilty). I suppose thats one reason why I prefer a Gel Polish such as OPI. Would be interested to hear if others remove Calgel each time or infill x

Thats a very good point.

I wouldn't say it was as fast to remove as Shellac though. I got the impression when I went for my refresher Calgel prefer you not to remove each time but to infill and remove every other time. I find Clients like to change colour each time they come and I wasn't very good at removing any lifting so I did mainly remove and re-apply ( I always feel guilty). I suppose thats one reason why I prefer a Gel Polish such as OPI. Would be interested to hear if others remove Calgel each time or infill x

I remove every time, never infill.. People like to change colour to much, I find it takes more time to infill rather than remove.. I file off the top layer of iz gel then wrap, also this time of year I use a wheat bag which speeds it up loads..x

I remove every time, never infill.. People like to change colour to much, I find it takes more time to infill rather than remove.. I file off the top layer of iz gel then wrap, also this time of year I use a wheat bag which speeds it up loads..x

That makes me feel better x

i have to be honest like I said before I prefer their original gel and not the IZ gel, it could be just me but it does take a lot longer to remove, it is strong but I had no problems with their original one, I soak of with foils just as normal, even use heated mitts but still takes me ages lol those of you who use it do you find it takes you a lot longer? only thing I can think of is maybe I dont file enough off in the first place.?

i have to be honest like I said before I prefer their original gel and not the IZ gel, it could be just me but it does take a lot longer to remove, it is strong but I had no problems with their original one, I soak of with foils just as normal, even use heated mitts but still takes me ages lol those of you who use it do you find it takes you a lot longer? only thing I can think of is maybe I dont file enough off in the first place.?

I use IZ gel on top of gel polish when a Client has a tendency to chip. On those fingers it does take longer to soak off and I do need to file it really well first. Also heat does help. I want to try it as a base as it's supposed to be great for that too but I worry about removal so haven't tried that yet :Scared:

I use Calgel along side CND Shellac. I love it. You can only purchase Calgel from Izabelle Hammon (UK Distruibuter) if you have done their course and I LOVE that. This sets us Calgel techs aside. It means that we have for the correct training and a certificate to prove it.
I wouldn't hesitate in training in Calgel. I do also have IZ gel. It is good, but I very rarely use it.

P.s buy some heated mits, it lifts Calgel off the nail plate within 15 mins of you use these. X

Hi, I'm thinking of using calgel. It's between calgel or NSI balance...
Is it hard wearing?the NSI balance is very hard, but I'm not too keen on the buffing to remove the product.

Latest posts

Back