Looking for some tips-gel, acrylic, The Edge products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jloosi

Reaction score
Hi guys! :cool: HELP!!:eek:

Im new here! Im a nurse but currently doing my Diploma to be a nail technician. I paid £500 for online course, tutoring and kit! I am a beginner however I've had my nails done a million times and good at filing and all the practical stuff relating to manicure already.

Now, the kit is all The Edge products. The lamp has 2x 6watt UV bulbs!!!:rolleyes: Don't know how much good this will be.

Ive learned more from youtube videos I think than the online study. I have a few issues wonder if any of you guys are willing to help.

1-I can apply the acrylic but its often too wet and premature lifting occurs. Dip into liquid dry brish off the edge, dip into powder and apply!?!?!

2-The acrylic often ends up bumpy and how do you get it to shine??

3- Find it almost impossible to create white edge (I know what you're thinking, 'she's not doing too well')

4- Gel nails- will this lamp cure any of the colours on the market??:rolleyes: Doubt it!! I have no clue what brand to go for. The kit that came with course only had clear pink and white.

If anyone could spare a wee second to give me any tips it would be much appreciated!:Grope:

I'm obvously just doing nails on myself and my non-paying friends. I know I need more equpment! What are the essentials I will need???

I have files, tips, glue, acrylic, gel, lamp, cutters, knife, lint free pads, gel cleanser, primer pen. However I feel like I may have been supplied with kinda low quality stuff. Any tips welcome!!!!:!:

P.S. The glue I have is really runny! What is a good glue??

Sorry to be so needy! Lol but I'm a bit lost with it all. Been reading all over internet but just joined here today

LUCY :biggrin:

Hi Lucy, welcome to the site, the questions you have asked have been raised hundreds of times, they're the same ones we all have when we first start out :lol:

Because of that, everything you need to know is held within the forums, like your course, it's just a matter of reading, re-reading and understanding. If it was easy everyone would be doing it :wink2:

Your best place to start is in the tutorials section - I can answer all your questions but trust me, you'll just end up with more questions. You need a basic foundation knowledge first.

Start with these:-

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-tutorials/

You can use the search option too, there is a wealth of information on here and just about every brand of product has been used, discussed and debated. The Edge products are not the highest quality, but neither are they the worst, I believe quite a few colleges use The Edge for trainee kits. Try searching for 'Edge'.

With regards to your questions, I'll give you some basic replies to get you going with searches.

1) Mix ratio - yes too wet will cause you issues, as will too dry, each product has a require ratio for best performance. Ask your tutor or check your product supplier website for information

2) Finishing - or final finishing, you need to move through the grits of abrasives (we don't call them files) from low grit (rough) to higher grit (softer) and final buffing with a shiner buffer

3) Smile Lines - there is an amazing tutorial in the tutorials section for smile lines including video and pictures

4) Gel - a whole new ball game, completely different to L&P (liquid & Powder - the correct term for acrylic nails). Again, each brand has different requirements, approach your tutor or supplier for details. Also search for Gel on here for lots of reviews and debates on products.

Happy reading, once you have a bit more indepth knowledge we can answer more specific questions for you

Last edited:
PS - Glue - we refer to it as adhesive, again, lots of different types available in different viscosities (thickness) for various uses. Fast set, slow set, gap filling, pink, clear, etc.

Hi, welcome 😊

I think the best advice I can give to you would be to have a look at some product houses', do your research and find a brand that you like and is financially affordable for you and get yourself booked onto there course. I'm not a massive fan of online courses as I don't really understand how they can work. All the problems that you're finding you should be able to go to your tutor for them to find the source of the problem and guide you in the right direction. Xx

Latest posts

Back