Looking out for the little guys, discuss?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Suey, it goes the other way a lot of times too. I don't have a standard charge but a lot of times when the website has calculated the postage I do override it & charge less - although probably no-one even notices ;) Lol...
As Angie said, its not just the postal charges, its the packaging & a few other things that are calculated into the equation.

KarenS.

~~~~~

I agree.

I appreciate that companies are running a business, but the larger, better known names have nail techs, beauty therapists and holistic therapists over a barrel.

Professionals want good quality products by a recognisable brand, and the big companies exploit this. They want their products to be exclusive and desireable and know that even if they charge high fees for postage etc then people will still pay.

The bigger a company is the easier it is for them to make a profit.

I try to budget all my buying for trade fairs - i don't have to do things "their way". I get better deals and no minimum. True, i have to catch the train up there, tramp round hacking my way through hordes of students etc, and cart it all back again - but for a smaller business it makes the most sense.

nailtech said:
I agree with Suey, it goes the other way a lot of times too. I don't have a standard charge but a lot of times when the website has calculated the postage I do override it & charge less - although probably no-one even notices ;) Lol...
As Angie said, its not just the postal charges, its the packaging & a few other things that are calculated into the equation.

KarenS.

~~~~~

I noticed Karen :D xxx

Ok here is my take on this fantastic thread.

When I started up I used to get a visit from my area rep then all of a sudden I became a "telephone" customer - even though I knew that the rep still came to my area to visit the local High Street salon - what happened - I decided to go somewhere else.

I have also been a customer of a company who insisted on multiples of 2 varnishes and also had a £90 minimum order - I think they have changed it now though to slightly less and individual varnishes.

I wanted to get a try me kit from one company - quite some time ago - but because of their minimum order, I could not buy it - I might have had a chain of 25 salons - note to self - stop dreaming whilst typing LOL.

The down side of being small is that we cannot afford to have large levels of stock but this I am afraid is the nature of the beast.

What I try and do is whenever I start a new pot of powder or bottle of monomer - I write the date on it this way I can work out approx how long a powder etc will last - this allows me to plan ordering times. I know it doesnt always work but it does in the main. I also take advantage of the show offers where I can without going overboard.

Companies who penalise the little people may end up not getting the benefit from them as they become the bigger people. But as smaller people we need to work smarter, not harder. Be proactive in our business by planning ahead and not just reactive by running out of things and paniking.

I dont know if the adhesive question was covered but some of the items we order are hazardous and need to be sent by special delivery hence the costs involved.

Great thread Lol.

i am at present just me in the salon, when ordering things i do pay i think an ave of abt £6.50 for p&p but my things come by courier and they are more or less next day (depending what time i order)
my EzFlow distributor does not have a mininum order so if i just need one think they will send it out... saying that i hardley ever just order on thing!....lol and if they can send it in the post like if its a few files then i do get cheaper p&p

i remember a few yrs ago i was sending something to a fellow geek and i wanted to send it by courier, my dad works for a courier company (yes hes a white van man...lol) so asked him to send it and he was like it will cost you much more than you get things for p&p when you order things as companies who send out all the time prob get a discount....
so i think that paying abt £6.50 isnt too bad as the things are sent safely via a courier company.... plus its goes against my tax... and at the end of the day its one of them things i have to pay.... but then im a girl who doesnt think abt how much stuff costs if i need something.... ok maybe nt need but want.....lol (hense why i never go into town shopping!)

i do how ever have a minimum order it think when buying polishes.... altho dont quote me there.... my rep is coming down tomorrow and i'll see....but i tend to wait and get them together and sometimes i dont buy any at all

Jess
xox

yogacat said:
I agree.

I appreciate that companies are running a business, but the larger, better known names have nail techs, beauty therapists and holistic therapists over a barrel.

Professionals want good quality products by a recognisable brand, and the big companies exploit this. They want their products to be exclusive and desireable and know that even if they charge high fees for postage etc then people will still pay.

The bigger a company is the easier it is for them to make a profit.

I try to budget all my buying for trade fairs - i don't have to do things "their way". I get better deals and no minimum. True, i have to catch the train up there, tramp round hacking my way through hordes of students etc, and cart it all back again - but for a smaller business it makes the most sense.

Hi Yogacat - although I appreciate that what you say is true of some large companies - this is not how we operate; I just wanted to clarify:!: Also I think it was Fiona who mentioned hazmats (hazardous materials) and yes, we are legally bound to send items such as enamels, monomer, remover, acid-free primer, Scrubfresh etc a certain way. Internet sites and small companies exploit this all the time (sending stuff through the post in brown bubble envelopes) but it is typical that 'the big guys' will get penalised if we are caught doing this incorrectly - hence, we take our hazmats seriously and ship them accordingly. Hope this helps! :idea: :biggrin:

Great thread...
I often get the impression that some of the major players in the nail industry are just out to help the big salons and tend for forget about the smaller and in some cases the more successful nail salons.

I was most annoyed that a wholesaler stocking the particular brand I wanted to use had a minimum order of £75...when I can go to my local wholesaler and buy the same brand AT THE SAME PRICE!!! I cannot see the point of a minimum order. If I want to buy 6 hand lotions, I do not see why I must be forced unfairly to spend £75 just to obtain the products that I want.

We must all bear in mind our own businesses cash flow and it does no one any good to have piles of stock that we didn't really want but had to order when we have bills to pay.

For me ordering small and frequent is the secret as my salon is only 2 months old and so I must watch my spending.

If a company does not want my business that is no skin off my nose...I will go elsewhere!
Needless to say I will not order from anyone who has a min spend policy.

So what website do you order from? I'm in need of stock and we'll need everything as gone solo

So what website do you order from? I'm in need of stock and we'll need everything as gone solo

As this thread is now some 12 years old, with many posters absent, can I suggest you a create new one of your own instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back