L'Oreal golden basic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dondon90

Reaction score
Hi geeks looking for a bit of advice.
My boss has just done a colour on a client with 100% really resistant white hair. She used 2/3 of 7.3 with a 1/3 6.3 and it came out really warm! Borderline copper and it still hadn't covered a few white hairs. Loreal recommends using .3 range for 100% coverage but is there any mixing ratios on dulling down the warmth? I've heard that mixing the natural basic .0 + .3 range cancel each other out so they shouldn't be nice together but I wanted to see what you guys thought?

*mixed together

It's been a long time since my Loreal training, but if I remember correctly, you need to ad 1/4 of your formula a neutral shade I'd the client is over 70% white/grey. 2/3 7.3 and 1/3 6.0 would probably get the best coverage next time.

i would use 7.3 and add base 7 aswell. I always add in the base colour to any client with a high percentage of white hair and would use 20vol/6% xx

Yeah that's what I thought but from what I've heard you can't mix the natural basic with the golden basic. Is that right? :S

I would have been inclined to do half a base and half a .3

At my old salon my boss always did used to add some flat base in with the golden base - so for example she would often do 6.3 and 6 in equal parts - the result of this was warmer than a flat 6, but cooler than using the golden basic on it's own. Hope this helps x

Hi Dondon, I think this is a coverage issue. If the coverage is translucent then the tone will look too warm, since you aren't getting enough depth to balance it out.

If you want to address the coverage problem you could try pre-softening the hair by applying a fine film of neat tint to the hair before applying your colour.

If you are looking to make the target shade less intense you could use a natural golden shade (e.g. 7,03) so you have less warmth in the tube, but they are also designed to give 100% coverage.

Yes you could also mix with a natural basic (e.g. 7 + 7.3) but it will make the reflect ashier, more like a 7,31 which is why it is not taught to mix them together in this situation, but that might be fine for your client.

You mentioned mixing with a deep basic (e.g,. 7,0 + 7,3). They are specifically designed for resistant white - they have more pigment than the regular basics so you will lose more of the gold reflect but you would certainly get better coverage. (not recommended by L'Oreal)

Hope that give you some more options to consider =)

You are talking about majirel and not inoa aren't you?

Thank guys. Really helpful x

Just use 7.03 instead x

Latest posts

Back