Lost client's hair, should I pay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gorgeouslocks21

Reaction score
I have abit of a situation going on that I'd like people's opinions on!

2-3 months ago I removed a girls fusion bonds who asked me to retip the hair to stick tips, and then she was going to come back the in a few days to have them re fitted as micro beads.

So I said that's fine. The same night she messaged me saying she hasn't got enough money to have them re fitted the same week. I said that's fine as I haven't started retiping them yet so let me know when u have the money.

A month goes past and she still hasn't booked back in so I messaged her asking if she could pick up her hair because I have a lot of hair extensions and don't want them to get lost and I don't want to be reasonable for them, she said she hasn't got time to pick them up get as she has kids etc.

Another Month later I message her again and ask if she can pick them up and she said she hasn't got any Time to yet.

So now I can't find the hair!! I haven't messaged her yet so should I offer to replace it? I kind of feel like it's partly her fault as I messaged her twice and did warn her they may get lost :( ahh

Thanks in advance for replies

It's her fault, if you warned her and she was aware of your warning and dismissed it then it's her fault, as long as you can prove that (if she was to make an issue out of it and bring you to a small claims court) then you're totally covered, you messaged her twice so it's not as if you just told her once and left it, you were polite enough to remind her twice instead of just forget about it, you went out of your way twice, so not your fault at all, don't replace them, you told her if she doesnt get them they could get misplaced because you have a lot of extensions around, so not like you casually lost them! I wouldn't refund

Her hair isn't your priority, she brought it back to you (so she bought it/owned it) so it's her problem if it goes missing, not yours

Although it was her hair & her responsibility, I'd definitely still feel responsible for loosing it. What I would do is not say anything, if and when she says she has the money and is ready for a new fitting- then you'll have to just grit your teeth and fork out on the new hair (at least you'll be able to order them in stick tips anyway)!

But if she's completely forgotten and never messages you again, then it's win win [emoji4]

For future though just buy some polypockets and a folder and put any hair left over from fittings/removals in the folder with the clients name. Easy to keep of track then!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know what I've done there, but I tried to add a bit to the end of my comment and it quoted it [emoji23]
I make the same mistake all the time between quote and edit hahahaha

It's her fault, if you warned her and she was aware of your warning and dismissed it then it's her fault, as long as you can prove that (if she was to make an issue out of it and bring you to a small claims court) then you're totally covered, you messaged her twice so it's not as if you just told her once and left it, you were polite enough to remind her twice instead of just forget about it, you went out of your way twice, so not your fault at all, don't replace them, you told her if she doesnt get them they could get misplaced because you have a lot of extensions around, so not like you casually lost them! I wouldn't refund

Although it was her hair & her responsibility, I'd definitely still feel responsible for loosing it. What I would do is not say anything, if and when she says she has the money and is ready for a new fitting- then you'll have to just grit your teeth and fork out on the new hair (at least you'll be able to order them in stick tips anyway)! But if she's completely forgotten and never messages you again, then it's win win [emoji4]

yeah I do feel bad for losing them! Luckily she only had half a head anyway so not to bad if I have to pay for new hair, thanks :)

Maybe for the future it might be good to have policy put in place where on the consultation form you state that if clients leave there hair with you for over x amount of months you reserve the right to discard it or charge them a small storage fee per week or month over that time.

It's her fault, if you warned her and she was aware of your warning and dismissed it then it's her fault, as long as you can prove that (if she was to make an issue out of it and bring you to a small claims court) then you're totally covered,

Are you legally qualified as well as a Hair Pro now? o_O

------------------------
OP, I think you should offer to either refund her or provide new hair if she returns at some point.

As a comparison, supposing you left a ring at the jewellers to be altered to fit you and you couldn't afford to pay for it for 6 months despite reminders from the jeweller.

When you eventually return, would you be happy to accept the jeweller telling you;
'Sorry, tough luck, I lost the ring and I'm not prepared to compensate you because it's your fault I lost the ring'.

I certainly wouldn't.

Are you legally qualified as well as a Hair Pro now? o_O

------------------------
OP, I think you should offer to either refund her or provide new hair if she returns at some point.

As a comparison, supposing you left a ring at the jewellers to be altered to fit you and you couldn't afford to pay for it for 6 months despite reminders from the jeweller.

When you eventually return, would you be happy to accept the jeweller telling you;
'Sorry, tough luck, I lost the ring and I'm not prepared to compensate you because it's your fault I lost the ring'.

I certainly wouldn't.
totally covered as in no blame can be put on you?

Even if you are not prepared to buy the new hair you can always offer to fit them for free as compensation

I'd wait til she contacts you to book and say you will have to bear with me and see if I can find it as I have advised you it may get lost if I held onto it as I have a lot of hair etc... then just say sorry it's lost- you never know she may be completely ok with that as you have advised her previously she might have not been that bothered if it was to get lost as if she was surely she would have picked it up. If she then expects you to replace it I'd offer to go halves for new hair as it's kind of both your faults

Latest posts

Back